Tuesday, February 14, 2006

'The Amazing Race' - Phil Keoghan Interview

I found this article online - National Ledger - Keoghan Glad 'The Amazing Race' Counters Negative World View - and thought he brings up some interesting points. Please be aware that if you read the entire interview, it contains a few destination spoilers for the upcoming season.

He mentions that folks tend to be frightened by the world at large, often thinking the United States is "safest" and other countries... well, aren't as safe. I beg to differ with a bit of his perception -- he mentions that being at JFK (Airport) not long after 9/11 was somewhere he felt scared. I'm local to the NYC area and, though that was life-changing for me on a personal level, I really don't walk around feeling unsafe. He goes on to say that often other countries aren't often seen in a good light and that's something 'The Amazing Race' has been able to show. I know from following the show and news items that other countries love it when TAR goes through. They get good publicity, money from the show itself for set up, etc., and hopefully tourist dollars down the line.

As for me, I've always loved to see other places, cultures I don't know much about and learn a bit. I'm not the easily scared type, except perhaps by strange icky foods. But I think Phil is spot on. We're in this world together and the more we can understand other cultures, the better for us all.

An excerpt:
"This is where our show has become more than just an entertainment show," he says, adding that none of the team anticipated the program would become so huge -- it's a hit in some 80 countries -- and have such an impact. "If we show a Muslim person giving money and help and showing concern for the racers that is very genuine, we're letting viewers see a reality they're not usually seeing."

I think that, besides the whirlwind excitement, one of the big draws for the show is that folks honestly love to see different places and learn smidgens about the folks in other countries. That's one reason I'm hooked. Why do you watch 'The Amazing Race'?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree but I think that sometimes Phil needs to keep his opinions to himself! His comments to the racers is sometimes stupid and he should stick to the race and not get personal!