Thursday, March 02, 2006

'American Idol' Schtuff!


As you may have noticed, I didn't blog about the ten girls this week. Why not? Because I was bored, unimpressed and annoyed by song choices and how even my favorite American Idols girl contestants sang! Sheesh! I tried to make a blog entry but my entry was as boring as the show night itself. So, I squashed it and hoped the guys would make a good showing last night.

Oh... I think they certainly did, don't you?

Taylor Hicks suited up and looked charming. His song choice was "Easy" by the Commodores (though I'm thinking the big hit was someone else, a Carradine maybe?). I don't think it was his best performance I've seen, but he performed it well enough. He really should stop crouching as he sings, though. Simon was the only judge not happy with it.

Elliott Yamin was absolutely superb singing "In the Mood for Love." I closed my eyes and just listened to his beautiful voice. The song was a great vehicle for his talents. Even Simon was happy and called it a great performance.

Then up was Ace Young singing "If I'm Not Made For You." Not my favorite song choice, nor my favorite performance of his, but good. He'll get votes anyway, I think.

The shocker of the night for me and I'm lovin' this kid more and more each week -- Gedeon McKinney! I cannot believe he's only seventeen! He's gotta be channelling ghosts from the past like Sam Cooke, gotta be! He sang "A Change is Gonna Come" with every nuance of soul the song possesses. Again, even Simon was impressed.

Kevin Covais sang "I Heard Through the Grapevine." He danced a bit, let down his hair a bit (figuratively) and had a good time with it. I enjoyed the performance. So did Randy and Paula. Simon? No!

Jose "Sway" Penala took the stage next and sang Stevie Wonder's "Overjoyed." He did it technically well, but I personally wasn't really moved by it. Neither were the judges.

Will Makar did a good job with Kenny Rogers' "Lady." At least I thought so -- I thought it really showed how nice his voice really is. Paula thought it was too safe; Simon thought it sounded like a good audition for Cats (or insert any Broadway show).

Bucky Covington sang a Garth Brooks song I'm not too familiar with. He did okay, but didn't rock my world. Nor the judges.

David Radford was up next with Frank Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight." Well, the way he looked to me was a bit off. Or, to be more precise, the way he sounded. He should have done fantastically with that song and he just didn't bring it. I like him anyway.

Chris Daughtry took the stage and brought the house down with "Hemorage." Best performance of the night and Simon called him the only performance which really stood out.

My boot predictions?
Brenna, Heather, Jose and Bucky.
Your predictions?

I'll be taping the show so I can update the blog with Survivor: Exile Island East Coast updates. But, once I post the Survivor boot, I'll check my American Idol tape and get those boots posted for those on the West Coast who like East Coast spoilers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 of these 3:
Jose, Will, David

2 of these 3:
Brenna, Heather, Melissa

At least that is what I am hoping for!!!!!!

Meangirl8272@aol.com

Anonymous said...

HI Jackie...
Love reading your reviews. Just wanted to make a little correction. Elliott Yamin, who is by far the best vocalist this year, sang "Moody's Mood For Love" and not "I'm in the Mood For Love".
My pics to go home are: Brenna, Heather, David and Sway.
Thanks for your hard work!
~Monnica