Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Did It! I Did It! Dilemma SOLVED!

I've been in a bit of a panic about tonight's television. I'm glad I don't throw things out and keep them because I might fix them someday.

What does one sentence above have to do with the other? Read on...

Tonight's television at the 9 PM hour was putting me in a quandary. The Amazing Race finale show starts at 8 PM, ends at 10 PM. I have to watch that one and take notes to blog about it later (as well as provide East Coast Updates here on this blog for the West Coast Viewers Who Can't Wait). Lost has a new episode on at 9 PM. American Idol has an hour-long results show this week starting at 9 PM - while I don't necessarily blog that show, I give an East Coast Update on the boot.

I don't have TIVO.

I do have cable and have it going to two TVs -- one in my computer room (s/b dining room) and another in the living room which I can actually see from my computer set-up area. What I've been doing at 9 PM on Wednesdays is to watch Lost by the computer, tape and have on American Idol on the living room TV (where my working VCR is) so that I can watch it later, but catch the boot. Throw The Amazing Race in there at that time and you can see my quandary.

What to do? What to do?

I dragged out my two not-working-correctly VCRs -- my first old 2-head one from the '80s which, last I knew, only really had issues with the timer and limitations of a VCR from that time period. My other non-working VCR is more modern, 4-head and retired due to the fact that it eats tapes. I first hooked up the older one to my computer-room TV. No go. I haven't tried it in years and it just sort of sits there. So, I tried the second one, removing its top cover and trying a tape I don't care if it gets eaten. Sure enough, I saw the mechanisms go to eat the tape! Ack! I stopped it and gently threaded the tape back to what it should be. I then wiggled the mechanisms inside and made progress trying again and again.

I fixed my VCR. Woohoo! So, here's the plan for tonight:
  • Watch The Amazing Race live, take notes for a later review (probably will post it tomorrow evening due to the plethora of TV watching I'll be doing tonight and the fact I must go to work early).
  • Tape American Idol on the computer room TV/VCR while running it live on the living room TV so I can catch the boot.
  • Tape Lost on the living room VCR as it plays AI so I can post the boot. I know for sure that VCR works with no issues, so it's the safest to use for taping Lost. I'm more concerned about actually watching Lost than I am about American Idol.

Just call me Jackie, VCR Technician and TV Addict.

Stop by later for the updates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im having the same problem as you, 2 tv's 2 vcrs and 3 shows all ending at the same time!! im in calif so im counting on YOU to find out what happens on idol! LOL

Anonymous said...

Move to Canada! Digital cable has east and west feeds of US networks!