Sunday, October 01, 2006

'The Amazing Race 10' - Ep. 3 -or- "Fuel, Fowl and the Hanoi Hilton"


Nine teams remain. Who will be eliminated tonight?

Okay, I noticed last week that Phil did the introduction with the word "next" instead of "tonight." Is it a clue of some sort? Well, the results were the same. A team was indeed eliminated from The Amazing Race tonight. And, I might add, it wasn't a team I wanted to see leave.

Let's jump right on in with the pack at the race...

We left the teams at the last Pit Stop in Mongolia. As is standard, the teams left in the same order as they had arrived, albeit twelve hours later. Peter and Sarah were the first to get the clue and to head off on a mission to get to the Hoa Lo Prison or, as it's nicknamed, the "Hanoi Hilton" in Hanoi, Vietnam. I noticed that there was about a two hour gap between first and last. Peter/Sarah left at 6:54 AM and, in last place, Lyn/Karlyn left at 9:02 AM.

The teams started the leg with zero (as in zilch, nothing, dead-po' broke) dollars and were warned that they couldn't beg or sell anything. So, some teams were a bit better off than others with saved money from the previous two legs of the race. Sarah/Peter had $40, Dustin/Kandice had $24, but others were as low as Duke/Lauren with a paltry $11.

The money was more of an issue than departure times as the teams hit a bunching point at the airport and all teams ended up on the same flight to Hanoi.

Drama? Was there drama? Sure, there was! Tom and Terry threw a fit when they thought Dustin and Kandice cut in front of them in line. And, of course, it was all for naught.

What about physical woes? Well, of course! Mary hurt her ankle in the last leg and, in a confessional spot said, "I didn't leave my kids for nuthin" as she vowed to race on. Sarah's prosthetic leg is still leaking hydraulic fluid and, while it doesn't seem to be causing her any additional pain, the knee isn't responding as it should and not bending as well. As a result, her running is almost like a jolting hop-a-long. She might still be able to outrun Mary or Lyn/Karlyn, but she's not in her personal marathon condition.

Once in Hanoi, Duke picked up a local woman who promised to lead them to the prison, but really just wanted to use them for a ride to go see her brother a half-hour from their destination. Lauren was against it all along and I think she restrained from saying, "I told you so!" Thankfully, their cab driver accepted their $11 and didn't call the cops for fare-beating.

Lyn and Karlyn tried to get David and Mary aboard in their taxi to help them, but both teams wouldn't fit. David was completely awestruck at being in Vietnam. His Dad was a Vietnam War veteran and his thoughts sometimes clouded his judgment in this leg of the race. Of course, that makes me feel old Tom and Terry find McCain's flight suitbecause I'm old enough to be David's mother. Oh, say it ain't so!

The teams once again bunched up as they awaited a 9 AM opening. Their quest was to find the display containing John McCain's flightsuit within the prison museum, Maiso Centrale. Tom and Terry were the first to discover the suit and scampered off with nary a word to the other teams.

From the Hanoi Hilton, teams had to go to Hanoi's Old Quarter where they had to face this leg's RoadbDuke's a hit selling flowers to the ladieslock (a task which can only be completed by one member of each team). This one that seemed fun but I personally think it was a bit lame when compared to others. They had to "charm people and turn a buck" on the streets of Hanoi... selling flowers. (What's that sound? Is that the sound of rolling eyes?) The good thing is that they get to keep the money made - all of what amounts to about $5 (USD). Why Peter sold flowers while Sarah ends up with physical tasks, I don't know. (Dump him, Sarah!) Lauren was thrilled with the native womens' response to her father selling flowers.

Although Peter and Sarah were in good standing at that time, they took a wrong bus to the next destination, the town of Vac. David was still thinking of his father's days in Vietnam and Tom/Terry apparently weren't thinking at all. Earlier the show had a blurb about the teams being prohibited from riding or driving motorcycles or motorbikes in Vietnam due to safety issues. So, what does Team TT do? They ride with locals on motorbikes to the next stop, a Detour.

The teams have a choice between locally-inspired tasks in a Detour. In this one, they had to choose between Fuel or Fowl. In Fuel, the teams had to make 30 coal bricks (used as fuel) to specification. In Fowl, the teams had to make a birdcage to specification. Most of the teams chose Fuel, but that wasn't coal as we know it. As David, the coalminer says, "This ain't real coal!" And, I believe it was Mary who said, "Oh! This is just like Play-Doh!" Lauren and Duke tackled the birdcage only because they got lost searching for the Fuel site.

As the teams completed the task, it was a foot race to the Pit Stop on a rice paddy still in Vietnam. The ChoBros arrived first and, like Tyler and BJ last year, got rooked on their prize. Instead of a cool trip, they got a home entertPenalty!  Penalty!ainment system. Not one for each of them, just one. Bummer!

But, not as much of a bummer as what happened to Terry and Tom. They slid into second place only to get nicked for their riding the forbidden to ride motorbikes. They received a half-hour penalty and it was an anxious wait as the other teams arrived to the Pit Stop. At least in editing, it looks like they barely squeaked into the last spot before Philimination.

The rest of the teams arrived at the Pit Stop in this order:
2. Tyler/James
3. Rob/Kimberly
4. Dustin/Kandice
5. Peter/Sarah
6. Lyn/Karlyn
6. David/Mary
8. Tom/Terry squeak back in.
9. Last and eliminated from the race - Duke/Lauren.

Onlookers wondering about the crazy Americans
Rats. I liked them. If only it could have been Rob and Kimberly, although we didn't really see a lot of them in this leg.

I think this week's challenges were a bit on the ho-hum side, but it may just be the adventurer within me. I'm liking the possibility that some teams may work together if they can. Lyn/Karlyn think David and Mary are great and are also bonding with the ChoBros and Team TT. I'm still liking the ChoBros a lot and I'm admiring David and Mary's spunk and the relationship between them more each week. We didn't see a heck of a lot of the Rehab Model Boys, and that was fine with me. I don't think they'll stay in the background too long, but it was nice to go a week without hearing how "saved" they are.

I still think that Peter's using Sarah and I can't help but think that she's realizing they're not a match made in heaven.

Dump him, Sarah!

21 comments:

~~Silk said...

Why oh why do Americans insist on running around foreign countries half naked? Lyn/Karlyn (one of them) wore what looked like a bra (not a bra-top --- a bra!) through the streets of a very modest country.

I did appreciate the moment of silence from the ChoBros in the Hanoi Hilton.

And if the motorbike issue was REALLY safety, then shouldn't a crew member have prevented the ride? Like, for safety reasons?

Anonymous said...

I was glad to see one team spend a moment to honor John McCain, who was tortued and spent five years in that hell hole, and not just be greedy players about movin' on. Karma folks...the brothers came in first anyhow. The gods of good respect were with them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!

I agree on all counts! So sorry to see the team eliminated, and. . .

Dump him, Sarah!!!!

Thanks for all you do!

Anonymous said...

A better roadblock would have been to harvest X amount of rice, not sell flowers. OH well! Glad pretty boys were not seen alot. What is it with beauty queens and them? I do not need the stupid remarks they make about the girls. I have not seen anything to warrant that kind of animosity (yet). Sad to see Duke and Lauren gone! Looks like a lot of tension next week between some couples, ha ha ha!!!! Thanks JACKIE

Anonymous said...

I agree, the flower thing was lame! And I'm glad we didn't see the model boys too much. I think they hate the beauty queens because they're beautiful AND nice...unlike some ex-drug addict model boys we see on TV.

I had tears when T&T stopped for a moment in front of John McCain's flight suit. Then the other teams just breezed through like it was nothing. I was very proud of the ChoBros when they went back in to pay their respects! I agree with Nancy -- Karma!!

Peter reminds me of the guy who just moved from upstairs. He's the elem school principal and you can tell he's just using our little town as a notch on his resume! The guy is a jerk and so is Peter. They even look alike!

Anonymous said...

I was sad to see Duke and Lauren eliminated last night. I was so upset that Duke let that local woman use them, but thankfully, the taxi driver let the ride stand for $11.00. The cameras beaming on him probably helped!

Sarah and Peter....wow, he really is a piece of work. Yes, I did notice Sarah crawling through the fields to get to the pit stop while he is already there...amazing. I was laughing at his inability to get the clue quickly in the "Hanoi Hilton" - everyone cut in front of him. LOL.

The Chos, I really like these guys. They were truly the only team that took the time to honor John McCain. Yes, and good karma came back to them. It was heartwarming.

Tom and Terry took a moment too, but one of them reminded the other. I think if they had not been first and had been amidst the throg of runners, they wouldn't have taken the time. The Cho's did...regardless of where it would leave them in the race.

I personally liked the Cheerleaders and really dislike those "beauty queens".

Oh, and if my husband and I ever go on the show, please remind me, I never want to be listed as....Coalminer and wife (in my case UPS Driver), but still, how about husband and wife???

tbc

Anonymous said...

TBC- I am glad someone else noticed Peter not trying to help Sarah as she crawled along trying to get to the pit stop... shame on you Peter. Shame shame.
Dump him, Sarah.

Thanks Jackie!

Anonymous said...

On a side note... I just read a nice little article about Lost on Yahoo! news. 'Lost' fans swamp Waikiki to see cast. Wish I coulda been there :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you jackie sarah needs to dump peter and i was so glad we did not see too much of the boys i really dont have a favorite yet but i like the brothers and david and mary thanks for the blog jackie you do such a great job thanks karen

Anonymous said...

I'm new to this writing in stuff, but not new to your blow, Jackie...you do an excellent job.
Yep, Sarah should dump him; he is just like Boogie on BB7 with Erica. Hope Sarah doesn't have to sit thru what Erica did at the end of BB7 hearing how he "used" her. He will be (or is) the most hated gamer on TV right now, for sure. I just couldn't stand that David being in such "awe" at being in Viet Nam, like his dad...does this guy have issues or what? Get over it & play the game dummie! I'm glad the two guys who rode the bike got back into the game, just barely under the wire too. Too bad about dad & daughter, but that local "guide" should have been left at the airport when she kept them waiting for her.
Can't wait for next week...sure wish they ran this show a few times a week.

Maureen NM

Anonymous said...

If Peter was a man and not a child abd a "user" he would have picked Sara up and carried her to the pit stop. What a loser. Run run run Sara as fast as you can.

Anonymous said...

From the Joker Web site...comment from Janelle about James after watching the BB show. "For heavens sake! James needs to calm down. After being back in Miami and watching some episodes....( and drinking some Pinot Noir) I thought you know what? Why should I be nice to a total hypocrit? So after much deliberation, here you go James a lil video just for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbh-YC7P4ew

BB fans HAVE TO WATCH THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO OF JAMES BEING JAMES...it is sooooo funny...they even have a "Cry baby" alert.

Jackie S. said...

Silk - I don't know. I'm one of the covered people. I don't think the crew is allowed to interfere, but I'm sure they can call for the medics afterwards!

Nancy in Washington - Yes, it was great to see the ChoBros hit the mat first! And, it was interesting to see the Hanoi Hilton. As you can tell from my entry, I did some research. That's one of the reasons I love the show. I learn; I reflect.

ryzandshyn - I agree about Mary. She's naive to the world and just blurts out things, but she's not offensive at all. I think she's just amazed to be experiencing so many new things and she's thrilled.

UPSDriverWife - ;-) - or TBC - I also liked the cheerleaders better. But, in the long run, I think I like the female models this season better than some we've seen in the past. At least they're athletic and don't whine.

Jackie S. said...

Welcome aboard, Maureen!

And to all the others - I'm SO glad I'm not the only one seeing the Evil That Is Peter.

You guys are great!

Anonymous said...

Jackie - Do you remember on past shows when someone broke a rule, I thought they had to sit out for 1 hour? If that is true, then why would T and T only get 1/2 hour penalty?
Of course, I always say that I have sometimers disease.....sometimes I remember correctly and sometimes I don't!

Anonymous said...

Kelly -- I think I have the same disease because I thought the penalty was 20 minutes.

I remember when Rob and Amber got that penalty after Rob couldn't eat all the meat. He talked the other teams into taking the penalty with him. I coulda sworn it was 20 minutes...

Jackie S. said...

Kelly and ORKMommy - I think the penalty times may change with the violation. I believe Romber's was 20 minutes, but it's nagging me that an all female team perhaps three or four seasons back also had a half hour for something... maybe taking a cab when they were supposed to use another means of transportation or something.

I also think the show may have been edited to make the TT back to mat look closer to the arrival of Duke/Lauren than it really was.

Anonymous said...

ki think your coment about being sick of hearing how saved the to cuties feel was just awfull. you should be ashamed of yourself. there are a lot of people in this country who have problems like that and for you to downplay there thankfullness for comeing through it sickens me as it should everyone else. you are not the person i thought you were and i hope kharma turns itself on you for being so heartless jackie.

Anonymous said...

everyone keeps saying dump him sarah. why she is just as bad they are made for eachother

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

Thank you a million times!!!!!!!!! I wasn't home Sunday night and was relying on my trusty Tivo to record TAR. As you mentioned, the show was delayed for football and I got 60 Minutes instead. Only about 20 minutes of TAR recorded AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!! At least I know who was eliminated. Thanks so much for doing this.

Rae

Jackie S. said...

Anon @ 1:23 - You're entitled to your opinion. I've known many people who have fought personal demons, including myself. Most aren't on television using it to play themselves up in hopes of acting work. Until they stop going on about their rich boy rehab, I'll probably keep commenting about it.

Perhaps your kharma comment may work on yourself, as well.