Thursday, October 12, 2006

'Survivor 13: Cook Islands' - Ep. 5 -or- "Ankle Octopi, the Newest Fad"


16 are left. Who will be voted out tonight?

After the inevitable recap of last week, the show opened with the Raro Dudes hustling. Since JP was voted off last week, they're worried the women will come gunning for them. They're outnumbered and they're worried. And, more importantly, they're working. While they want to show how much they can actually do, the women are just taking it all in.

Over on Aitu, the gender war sort of continues. At least Cao Boi is irked about the women on his tribe doing less than the manly men. With the way he irks others, he may not be in a position to cast stones.

Treemail with its hints of challenges to come sent the castaways to meet up with Jeff. This was a rather new one for a change, not a recycled past challenge with new casting. Each tribe had to pick three pairs from their ranks. The pairs had to stand tied together as the remaining folks placed weights on the pairs of their choosing in five pound increments.
Ebony and Ivory
When I saw Adam and Nathan were a pair, I figured them for both the target of others and for the win. Sure enough, they were loaded up with the most weight and struggled to hold each other in the competition. The idea of wine kept Nathan going and they persevered. Since JessFlicka decided to taunt others, I chortled when she and her partner, Ozzy, went down. As Nathan would say, "Karma is a bizzle."

So, Raro won Reward - a bottle of wine, spices, and more fishing gear. They also won the opportunity to choose someone from Aitu to go to Exile Island. Now, we know it's a waste, but only Becky and Yul know for sure that the hidden Immunity Idol has already been found (by Yul). They chose to send Jonathan. He will return before the Immunity Challenge and will not be safe from Tribal Council voting should Aitu lose immunity.

After the challenge, back at the Raro camp, the guys are still hustling. Adam hustled so mightily that he somehow caught an octopus who must have thought he was a constricting snake. The octopus wrapped itself right around Adam's ankle. I can see it being the next utilitarian fashion trend -- ankle weights and, after exercise, it's dinner!

You would think that since they won something, they'd be happier. Nuh-uh! Jenny complained that Cristina is the "new JP." And, Cristina didn't help matters any when she accidentally spilled the pot of octopus (yes, ankle-octopus), then tried to blame Jenny. Actually, she just claimed that she thought Jenny was watching it, but blame enough. The girls want Cristina to be the next out.

Over at the Aitu camp, Yul wants to try to catch a chicken and the tribe is lamenting about the lack of resources there. Some want to row to a nearby island to see if they can collect coconuts and other needed supplies. Cao Boi, Ozzy, and Jessica tried to convince Sundra to join them in their quest, but she turned them down, preferring to stay behind with Yul, Becky, and Candice.
Who's invading our camp?
With most of the Alliance of Four (who wants to be of five), and just Jonathan missing on Exile Island, Yul tried to sway Sundra to join them. Sundra seemed a bit reluctant to commit, but said she feels more comfortable with them than with Ozzy and Cao Boi. Yul told her he didn't trust Ozzy.

Oh... the island that decided to explore? Well, it was none other than the Raro camp island! Oy! That did not go over well at all with Raro, and Adam, in particular was not a happy neighbor. Cao Boi went into a bizarre Cao Boi long tale of rats, snakes, and other animals being friends, being feared, and on and on. And, on and on some more. Perhaps it was his attempt to hypnotize the tribe to steal their spices. I don't know. He did have the nerve to ask them for just a bit and the answer was laughter, followed by an empatic no.

On Exile Island, Jonathan dug a huge trench following the clues. He decided the hidden Idol has already been found or that he's the biggest moron in the world. You're not a moron, Jonathan.
Keeping balance for Immunity
Not only did we have a fresh new Reward Challenge, the Immunity Challenge was also new fodder! The tribes had to put together three "stepping poles" each, two tribe members had to use the poles to cross to a platform with the other tribemates supporting them and moving them forward. Then, they all had to swim to a tiered platform and all had to gather at the top of a small platform.

Aitu kept up their mini-streak and was declared the winner. Raro almost won it, but every single tribe member fell off their platform, so they had to all get up there again.
Immunity Challenge overviewSo, it's the "who are we voting for" routine as Raro returned to their camp. Remember, earlier they wanted to vote Cristina off because she's bossy. It was all going that way once again until -- almost like last week -- Stephannie said something a bit dumb, this time to Nathan. They were talking about the plan to vote Cristina off when Stephannie said, "I wouldn't mind eating some mashed pototoes tonight."

That was all Nathan needed even though she's his Hiki-hood Love. He went to Adam and Brad, told them that he felt her spirit was broken and she wanted to go home. It spread. Parvati asked Stephannie and she denied she wanted to go home. She also said she wouldn't beg to stay.

Perhaps she should have begged.

At Tribal Council, the vote was unanimous with the exception of her own vote for Cristina. Stephannie is history. The other rather interesting event other than the vote was that Nathan spoke up and said how bossy Cristina was to others. That may come back to bite him or it could warn her. I guess we'll see.

At the end of the show, in the promos for next week, it appears we'll get the double-castoff I predicted due to too many on the show. Jeff said something about one from each tribe would be evicted. Of course, that doesn't leave much incentive to win Immunity, does it? Unless they don't know -- it's certainly too early to break down for individual immunity.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

perhaps the 'wining" team will get to vote on both team's person to be ousted (I almost said philiminated lol). that would be an interesting twist. sure to make you want to win camp immunity.

Anonymous said...

Jackie...your posts are the best!

I seem to be talking to myself tonight, and commented in the last section just before you posted this.

At any rate, I won't repeat myself except to say Love this show and Love Grey's Anatomy. Commented at Grey's too.

Again, thanks Jackie!

Anonymous said...

Well,the editing sure had me fooled this week,I could have swore Cristina was on the boat home,but Stephannie's mouth got her in trouble again. I do think Chris may have been the stronger one,and maybe she will tone down the bossy routine. I sure would if I wanted to stay around longer.

I don't know,I am just not finding this season to be that exciting.It seems to be so anti-climatic and I don't really care which team wins or who goes home. I did feel sorry for AITU when they lost the IC,but they didn't use their heads,as somebody else pointed out,the GUYS should have gotten in the middle and dragged the girls up off their one foot for a minute. All those heavy guys are,of course, going to pull the women right over....duh!

I don't have a TIVO or anything so I find myself switching over to UGLY BETTY a LOT,and have to say,I like it LOTS. I have loved America Ferrara since seeing her in "Real Women Have Curves". This show is a hoot!!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same as Sharon, that so far the show is ho-hum. Maybe it is because there are other shows that are capturing our focus more.... believe or not the teams just seem to blend in my mind or do not even have tribe names down yet! For the 2x elim next week maybe there will be a winner on each team and they get to choose who goes on the opposite team. Now that would shake it up!

Jackie per usual wonderful blogging and love the Nip/Tuck---Batchelor idea. NT this week was raunchier and disturbing, can I say censors must be bribed! Can not wait for the Shield, if FX has decided it is the new mini-HBO.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the idol will come into play next week when one player from each tribe gets voted off. I think the idol will get used at some point in this survivor since it hasen't yet. When Aitu showed up at Raro....Raro should of tied them up, taken whatever they had on them and then sent them packing!

Anonymous said...

Lyss....think we can all read typese.....imao or knew what you meant

Anonymous said...

The personalities this year are all low key. That V.C. Coi Boi is the only one with any color.(but as seems, no character). As the weeks go by though, I think there is enough rue in the stew to kick it up a notch. Christina is just actin' the part of a 'typical' cop. Authoritive tunnel vision. I truly doubt she will concede that attitude. The only other person who has caught my eye so far is the girl with the tattoos. Don't know too much of where she's at though. That may be due to my wandering mind. I forget easy. In any event, Jackie, you got a nice page here and all the best to ya.

Anonymous said...

Coi Boi and Nathan need to go! They're both irratating in their own way. Nathan acts like a catty woman. I hate it when people have to run to the others and talk smack about someone just to further themselves. What a dork.

Dawn

Anonymous said...

I agree!! Survivor is boring this season. Yes, Nathan is katty, but he's bringing the only interesting conflict. I'm not enjoying Cowboy (come on, who can spell it right??) at all. He could be interesting but he's way too annoying! Bring on the good stuff Jeff!!

Is anyone watching 1 vs 100? It could be a good show if not for Bob Saget! I can't stand that guy. Didn't like him in Full House, didn't like him on America's Funniest Home Videos, and I don't like him on this show either. He's walking around trying to be like Howie Mandell on Deal or No Deal. It's just not working for me. And the first contestant is boring too! I hate when a game show that I was looking forward to ends up annoying me.

Anonymous said...

Orkmommy I watched the 1 vs 100. It was a pretty good show. I agree with you about the first contestant. I am glad he finally took his money. the lady contestant was doing pretty well when the show ended. I agree about Bob Saget it did seem like he was trying to act like Howie Mandel on Deal or no deal. The show seems interesting also that the contestant can get help twice in the game.
Glenn

Anonymous said...

OrkMommy.....watched 1 vs 100 too(while trying to watch Men In Trees also)and though I liked the concept,I thought the questions were pretty lame. That guy(who didn't seem like the sharpest pencil,you know what I mean)got pretty far and made a good amount of money without much trouble. I think we are just going to see a bunch of people come on,run up a nice sum and then bail.The concept is pretty much like DOND,not much chance of them winning the mil.

Another observation,that Ken Jennings really rubs me the wrong way now. And I liked him when he was on Jeopardy,but now he seems like a smug,arrogant putz!! I hate that he dissed the show that made him rich and he comes off very smarmy in interviews I have seen of him. A big old "BOO HISS" for you,Kenny!!

Anonymous said...

OrkMommy.....watched 1 vs 100 too(while trying to watch Men In Trees also)and though I liked the concept,I thought the questions were pretty lame. That guy(who didn't seem like the sharpest pencil,you know what I mean)got pretty far and made a good amount of money without much trouble. I think we are just going to see a bunch of people come on,run up a nice sum and then bail.The concept is pretty much like DOND,not much chance of them winning the mil.

Another observation,that Ken Jennings really rubs me the wrong way now. And I liked him when he was on Jeopardy,but now he seems like a smug,arrogant putz!! I hate that he dissed the show that made him rich and he comes off very smarmy in interviews I have seen of him. A big old "BOO HISS" for you,Kenny!!