Sunday, November 12, 2006

Better Than Big Pants, Coming This Week On Letterman

Late Show with David LettermanI must confess. I have to confess.

I love David Letterman.

Oh, no -- not like that woman who kept breaking into his house in the '80s or, more recently, the woman who thought he was sending love messages in code to her. Not like that at all. This is more of a sane sort of love. Or, is it?

I've been a Letterman fan since his early appearances on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, and can even boast to watching his rather short-lived morning show circa 1980 or so. Through his NBC Late Night with David Letterman days into the present, he's my late-night fodder. Campy, zany, though oddly intellectual, I've spent my adult life with his show(s) on my must-see list.

Last week's highlights for me were the Jack Hanna segment (always a favorite with me) and Jorge Garcia (Hurley on Lost) reading the Top Ten Signs You're Obsessed With Lost. In particular, I enjoyed Number 10: "After each episode, you do an all-kitty reenactment in your basement." I have to admit that my two cats balked at playing all the characters and wanted to hold out for more money per episode.

The week ahead boasts Mr. Letterman's second rather unusual week-long programming event for the season. Earlier, it was Ventriloquist Week. This time we'll see Impressionists Week. Yep, you've got it! I'm not sure if it will match the excitement of the ventriloquists, but it'll be neat to see Rich Little once again. I didn't know he was still around.

Here are the guests scheduled for this week on the Late Show with David Letterman:
  • Monday, Nov. 13: Robin Williams, Impressionist Rich Little, George Jones
  • Tuesday, Nov. 14: Jack Black (promoting the new movie Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny which I misheard a while back as the "Pig of Destiny." I like it that way, don't you?), Impressionist Fred Travalena, Tenacious D
  • Wednesday, Nov. 15: Christopher Guest, Impressionist Gordie Brown, +44
  • Thursday, Nov. 16: Ellen DeGeneres, Impressionist Frank Caliendo, The Game
  • Friday, Nov. 17: Senator John Edwards, Impressionist Kevin Pollak, Will Arnett

Okay, ventriloquists and impressionists... what's next? Tap dancers? Magicians? I don't know, but I'm sure to be watching. As for Leno, I watch or tape him when he has the Blue Man Group on. Dave should do more Blue Man Group.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep racing..........

Jackie S. said...

Petals - I have seen them live, a few times. Great shows, but no leg room! I saw "Tubes" and their original show.

Anonymous said...

And lotsa toilet paper (recycled of course). I wonder what it's like to be smudged by a buss from one of those guys...

Jackie, I used to work every day for about 6 years in the building that Dave is in. Many days I'd have to wiggle through the massive crowds that line up around the corner to get into the building. I'ld hear the band rev up to rehearse before they let the crowd in around 4:00 every afternoon, Mon-Thurs.

After that I might hear commotion on the street. I'd look out the window to the back door/alley to see not only whatever guest was arriving or leaving and the throngs of photogs and autograph hounds, but whatever funny thing they were doing for the show. It was a front row seat to all those gags they do in all weather like, skateboarding, pumpkin droppng from the roof etc.

My client whose office that was was, went on the show now and again if he had a movie or something to promote. I went with, as that was my job. Though afterawhile you don't get excited about much, it was always a treat to do this.

The Janitor who you see on the show, would actually come knock on our door to pick us up in the special service elevator, and take us the few floors to the studio, exchanging plesantries.

We'd get out and be met by a young producer, who would walk us through a maze of narrow carpeted and waxed old linoleum (how do you spell that???) halls up and down stairs etc to finally get to the dressing room. I always felt like I was in Spinal Tap.

While Leno comes into the dressing room of each guest, you never see Dave at his show til you're out there. No judgements, just very differnet approaches.

Dave keeps it freezing in the studio. You will on occasion see Julia Roberts shiver, though I would if Dave were holding my hand the way he does hers.

I once left the green room before the audience came in and just stood respectfully behind Dave's desk for a minute. I got a glance of his POV on the crowd, and an amusing close up look at the skyline cut outs that shine behind his set. I admit I got a little thrill.

I liked to say hi to Biff, who I've never seen without his headset on. Often I'd pass the red headed announcer... It's funny to have a conversation with him in real life, as you know that voice so well.

One time I was Dave get out of the service elevator when I got out of the regular folks one right next to it. It was jsut after the show ended in summer, and the sun was at a low line in the sky. He walked in front of me at the same pace I was, from the darkness of the vestiblue toward the sunshine outside.

He wore a Worldwide Pants baseball jacket, had very long, tall legs (and those cute shiny loafers) tha tkicked out in the most attractive, quirky way, and curly reddish hair that looked, silhouetted against the afternoon light, like it was a bit of a halo.

Everyone at the security desk nodded as he trotted straight out to his little sports car, which had been brought around by someone and was waiting, door ajar. He got in and drove away like he did every day like clockwork, up to some secret home in CT, where it was rumored he indeed had a secret long time love who got him all to herself.

sigh.

Anonymous said...

I love David Letterman. "Well, not in a homosexual way." --Survivor season 1. "Not that there's anything wrong with that." -- Seinfeld. There is everything wrong with that, but Seinfeld is classic, and classicly funny.
I have missed much Dave. And I'm so bummed to have missed all but one of the impressionists.
Jack Black rules.