Wednesday, November 08, 2006

'Lost' - "I Do"

Jackie's TV Blog, Lost

This was it, the last Lost until February 7. I know I'll appreciate the lack of reruns through the spring, but it feels like we barely got a taste of the series this fall. Six episodes ain't nuthin', Freckles.

Tonight's episode, "I Do," had its interesting points and moved a few things forward, but there were no grand surprises overall. Well, there was the Jack Finally Wised Up bit, but that wasn't until near the end of the show.


The flashback sequences were all about Kate this week, Kate and her husband. Or, Monica and her husband, as she had an alias. Who knows? Maybe she's not Kate, either. The island scenes mainly featured those captured by the Others - Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. We saw a bit of Eko's funeral, but mostly the captives.

The Kate Flashback Sequences
The opening had Kate in a hotel room as her soon-to-be groom, a Miami-Dade cop named Kevin, visited. Oh, there was the wedding, kiss scenes, and all was rosy-keen with the bride and groom. Until Kate's background caught up with her. Well, perhaps it was more the fear of her background being exposed and caring about her love.
Kate-Monica and Kevin wedding
She panicked. She called the U.S. Marshals to see if they would leave her be, but the vibes weren't right, not at all. What to do? What to do? Hey, let's drug the cop-husband and confess once he wants her to get a passport for an Oceanic flight to Costa Rica! So, she did it. She told him that she wouldn't want his career ruined, that she was being sought after for blowing up her father and she hit the rowdy road. And, she told him her name wasn't Monica.

See. That's what happens when you marry too soon. You marry a fugitive, silly cop boy. I rank this backstory flashback an "eh." Big deal, what's happening on the island?

On the Island, Requiem for Eko
Locke, Sayid, Paulo (who still just mysteriously appeared and doesn't do or say much for all the hooplah about him joining the cast), and Desmond were still with the very dead Mr. Eko. Locke, claiming that the survivors have seen enough death, decided they should bury him without bringing him back to the campsite.

When asked, Locke said Eko died for a reason, but he doesn't know what that reason is. But, heck, there's a reason. He also claimed that the monster killed Eko, but didn't know what or whom the monster is. Okay, that's perhaps too much knowledge to take in all at once, eh?

The most vital incident during the funeral was as Locke was giving his eulogy. He started talking about Eko's Jesus Stick, then saw words carved into it: "Locke, lift your eyes and look north." (Insert Lost thump noise here.)

On the Island of the Others
Okay, I'm warming to the thought that there may be two islands. I'm not totally convinced, but there was another clue pointing to that tonight.

In the dolphin tank, Jack told Ben and Juliet how critical Ben's need for surgery really is. After giving him the terror talk that indicated not long to live at all, he refused to do the surgery which could save Ben's life. He said he wanted him to understand how he's going to die, but he wouldn't help save him. Ben told him he was disappointed in his decision. Jack told him he wouldn't have to be disappointed long.

Over at the bear cages where Sawyer and Kate were being held captive, Danny and his Thugs were about to take Kate off to work breaking rocks (saying that Sawyer had the day off) when alarms sounded. "Compound Breached!" It was Alex (Rousseau's daughter) with a trusty slingshot. She warned Kate that they would kill her boyfriend just as her own was killed.

Alex was easily captured as a slingshot is never a great match for guns. Danny threw a hood over Kate's head and, next we knew, she was in the dolphin tank talking to Jack through the plexiglass. The Others told her to tell him they'd kill Sawyer if she couldn't convince Jack to perform Ben's spinal surgery. No go, Jack refuses Kate's pleading. "We're done here." Uh-oh, Sawyer!

Ben was monitoring it all in the room with all the closed-circuit monitors.

They're kissing again
Back at the bear cages, Danny and Thugs were pushing around Sawyer, furious that Jack had refused to do the surgery. Once they departed, Kate told Sawyer about seeing Jack and Ben's need for surgery. She crawled out of her cage and broke the lock to his, telling him to escape. But he refused to go. He told her they were on a separate island and there was no escape. Then they had hot giant polar bear sex... or perhaps a human equivalent of such.

In the dolphin cage, a sleeping Jack was awakened by the mysterious intercom. It told him (Juliet's voice?) to check the door. Oh, by gosh and golly, it was unlocked. Set up alert! He found the monitor room and, gee willikers, there was a feed to Kate and Sawyer snuggling in the bear cage. Jack also found guns. And he held one to Ben when Ben entered the room.

Jack sees Kate and Sawyer cuddlingHe told Ben he'd do the surgery tomorrow, but Ben had to keep his promise - he'd get off the island. He had to leave the island. Ben, of course, assured him he'd keep the promise. Yeah, right. Trust Ben? I think not!

Pre-surgery, Ben asked Juliet if Alex asked about him. She told him that he had taken her home. Ben told Jack, "Whatever happens, things will be very different." And, they certainly were as Jack finally had a trick up his sleeve.

He purposely nicked Ben's kidney sac and then created sort of a medical hostage. Over at the bear cages where Danny and Thugs were about to off Sawyer in front of Kate in retaliation for Danny's girl Colleen's death, the walkie-talkies burst to life. They had an hour to make their escape as Jack had an hour to fix the damage he did to Ben.
Operating Room
Jack told Kate that in an hour, she'd have to call him on the walkie-talkie and relate the first story he told her as she stitched him up on the beach. If not, Ben would die.

Here are the points to ponder for this week:

  • Why I'm thinking there could very well be two islands: I think the clue on the Jesus stick telling Locke to look north may lead to the sighting of an island. Plus, Danny wondered how Alex got "over here." Something about the way he said it indicated two islands. The same sort of indication when Juliet mentioned taking Alex home.
  • I have a "much ado about nothing" feeling from the Kate flashbacks. Only if that cop emerges on the island in some capacity or the necklace she wore comes into play somehow will this bit be critical at all.
  • Whether Juliet will sabotage the surgery or Jack will on the down-low is moot now. I have a feeling Jack won't kill Ben, but that's only my guess.
  • My memory of the story Jack's seeking from Kate is a bit fuzzy. I recall it was something about fear. "Do you know what real fear is?" He then told her of botching an operation on a teenaged girl, sort of similar to his nicking of Ben's kidney sac. The significance? I'm not sure.
  • No smoke monsters this week, but a focus on both Eko's cross necklace and the one Kate (as Monica) wore.

I guess we wait until February. I don't know if I'll be interested enough in the new show they'll be airing in the time slot to watch for sneak peeks.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

On Jackie's points to ponder.
1. I think doubting the existence of two islands is not worth it. Was it Alex who was the younger guy who guarded Sawyer as they took him up to see the first island? I had the same idea about Locke.
2. Interesting you say that. I briefly thought that, but I like all material that fills in the main characters, whereas I've definitely felt that way about several flashbacks of others. Sometimes Locke's flashbacks make me yawn, sometimes.
3. Yeah, I guess that too. He should but I bet he won't. I was egging him on to shoot him. This way was probably smarter... a better place to escape from and more power to save his friends.
4. Glad you remember even that much. I was blank in memory.
5. Thank God. Which reminds me: discussion of religion is fine as long as it stems from the show, right?... amen?

I loved this episode. "That's what I'm talkin' about!" More classic Lost. It took a semi-season finale to do it, apparently. I am officially gratified in Lost, my impatience is currently appeased. Though I gotta say: it has been grooling to watch this season so slowly. I saw the first two seasons via DVD. Hence, you can sympathize for my impatience I hope.

Why can't Kate run? Why isn't it proper to assume that Kate and Sawyer can run together. Am I missing something? Am I assuming the wrong way? I can see why and how it makes for a great clifhanger. Am I supposed to not know the answer? My first thought is "RUN", even though it's a second island. ...assuming that Sawyer can go with, so then her reluctance would be the island being a second island. But is there something I'm missing so that the situation won't allow for Sawyer? Danny is disobeying by readying to shoot Sawyer. Sawyer was already supposed to get freedom. There should be no reason why Freckles and Sawyer are intended as a "team". ...Right?

I think Kate might finally come of island age. She will think of seeing *Rousseau's daughter* surviving on the island. She will unveil her kick-ass skills. In the quick clip previews, it shows Kate making an action with her elbow to knock out the guy holding a gun to her. I hope she captures that gun and shoots Danny. Bam! Kick-ass. Get free. Strategize in the bushes. I hope all this anyway.

Anonymous said...

lori. That funeral thing could be a good hint. Vacuum pipe... this makes me think of the Losties most dire need: to get all together and share information! Especially in a "war", information is crucial. But then you might not need a show called Lost, obviously.

Anonymous said...

Soooo, will the February 7 Lost be another recrap show??? Just in case you forgot?? Zzzzzzzzz

Carley said...

Don't we know for sure that there are two islands? Didn't Ben take Sawyer to show him that he is on a different island than the one they crashed on? And the comments made about Alex were just kind of to confirm what we learned in the last episode? Hmm. I'm confused now.

I liked the Kate flashback. It seems that the flashbacks always show the Lostie dealing with an issue that they are now having to deal with on the island. Like Kate always ran in her "former" life, but now on the island she isn't running away anymore.

Anonymous said...

response to LORI. I was getting tired of the cages thing too. That's just one reason why I loved the episode. Isn't it happy that they're starting to move out of that situation? ...even maybe off island2? ...But they might remain on island2 for awhile, huh. Anyway, I used to feel your pain.
It's good for me to hear who is actually named "Alex". So, now, [anyone], who is Alex's boyfriend? Is it that guy who was in the cage, and furthermore, is that the same guy who guarded Sawyer up to see island1? Sometimes I have problems with names. Please bear with me... and help me when all y'all can.
I was going to replay the episode too, to pick up on details like the list. I, too, am glad Freckles finally picked one.
....or did she. I think they left it up for grabs purposefully. (All plot is purposeful in Lost, of course.) It reflects her flashback. She probably loves Jack but has an insecurity issue that could be satisfied by hooking up with Sawyer, though she surely *likes* Sawyer a lot. Addendum to that: she has some sort of commitment issue/fear that keeps her from being vulnerable and pursuing Jack. It's easy second-nature for her to hang and hook-up with her kindred bad boys. Good boys like Jack and her police husband still threaten her and her confidence toward personal freedom.

BY THE WAY. The police husband is the captain from the TV show "FIREFLY", one of the greatest (though short-lived) shows ever! He also played Minnesota Ryan in "Saving Private Ryan".

Anonymous said...

For a somewhat interesting discussion of the message to Locke on Eko's prayer stick, yet more especially a comment by "Pastor2churches" on the Bible references on Eko's stick, check this out.

http://www.lostblog.net/lost/tv/show/lift-up-your-eyes-and-look-north#comment-14052

Anonymous said...

http://www.lostblog.net/lost/tv/show
/lift-up-your-eyes-and-look-north
#comment-14052

...all as one link

Anonymous said...

Lori,
That threw me too....I think what was said is " Shepard is not on Jacob's list." Now who is Jacob??? What is the list for...is it the list of kids and good-doers who were 1st taken or a totally different list? I think Kate can/will/might bounce back and forth between J and S! She may have thought she was giving Sawyer "a last meal"!!! Since he was to die.

Quistan,
The big burly guy is Danny.

Jackie,
Juliette threw the bag over Kate's head and led her away.

What Eko wrote on his prayer stick..look to the north...maybe he had seen the other island and kept it to himself. I am still not sure why when Sayid went on his walk-a-bout he did not see the other island, but then Rousseau captured him, so maybe he did not get that far.

OK girls...when Sawyer first kissed Kate and rubbed his thumb on her cheek...I thought I would MELT!!!!! He sure is better than the Prince. IMAO

Anonymous said...

Yeah, "Jacob's list", that's what I heard. I don't remember any Jacob, even as an alias. Me and names.
Ok, so I know who Danny is. What about the younger guy who guarded Sawyer on the way to see the other island, who is he? He looked like the same young guy who was first in Kate's cage... or else I wondering if he's Alex's boyfriend who Alex thinks is killed. (I'm not theorizing here, I'm trying to get straight what we are possibly supposed to recognize.)

Yeah, they'll have Kate bounce back and forth. "A last meal", good thought. They tie everything together.

Oh yeah, I was going to comment on the eye-patched guy. This could be really cool, if for instance, he is not an "Other", like Desmond, in another hatch. Although Ben probably knows about him. What Ben, or succeding Juliet, knows about this will be pivotal to the show, and very intriguing to me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Anonymous said...

Well all we have till Feb to think and re-think this and then another wrench will be thrown at us!!!!! LOL, unless we bed the writers we can guess and guess!!!!!

I really liked this week's Jericho...kind of like LOST, throw us a bone and then up in the air!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, if we want to get lost this winter, their are plenty of other shows that copy the Lost technique of keeping the viewer lost.
Kudos to Lost.