Sunday, November 12, 2006

TV Newsy Bits - Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ah, Sunday. For me, it's "Race, Case, and Trace" night. You know I'll be posting an East Coast update on the Pit Stop arrival order and a full review/recap of tonight's Amazing Race episode. But, that's hours away and it's a rainy day here. So, what's that mean? Well, other than a leisurely bubble-bath and hot chocolate kind of day, it's a perfect day for writing and watching television.

I shouldn't have stayed up until 3 AM watching Clerks on Comedy Central, but I did. You only live once and all that, y'know. Somehow, I had missed that movie when it was out and about in the theaters and video stores. When I saw it was on, I had to watch it. I can see why it brought Kevin Smith to the attention of the world at large and, to be honest, I liked it more than some of his more recent works since he hit the big time.

Tomorrow night Court TV's new series Murder By the Book premieres. I've been a mystery novels buff for years (and have even failed at writing my own really bad mystery novels), so this series intrigues me. This is a five-week series featuring mystery novel writers investigating a real-life case which holds a special interest to them. In the first show, it's author James Ellroy looking into the murder of his own mother. If you're an Ellroy fan like I am, you're aware that his mother's 1958 murder remains unsolved and that the case has always been a part of his own life as he pens his books. Other authors in the series include Michael Connelly, Faye Kellerman, Jonathan Kellerman, and Lisa Scottoline. The only author out of that group I haven't read is the last one. The series airs on Court TV Mondays at 10 PM ET/PT. I'll be watching.

In other news, Studio 60 fans will be happy to hear that that I read an AOL Television article which announced that nine new episodes of the show have been ordered despite iffy ratings. I'm still not getting into the show, but know several blog readers who enjoy it, so crack open the champagne!

8 comments:

Sydney said...

I know it was a few pages ago, but I wanted to say thanks to QUISTAN for writing about his brother's two, count em two different application experiences for Survivor.

Also we have someone else here whose daughter got interviewed for the Bachelor and shared a little about that on the BACHELOR, NIP/TUCK page. Since I watch so much reality TV, I guess the one thing that's stayed mysterious is how the people get on these shows. Not so much the audition tape part, but the process they are put through to finally get chosen. I appreciaetd every last detail! THANKS!

Sydney said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sydney said...

Hi Jackie-- thanks for telling me about the murder by the book series. I really like Sue Grafton and of course have read many an Agatha Christie novel, though I seem to have only read those when I was traveling somehwere exotic, like India, or Tasmania, etc... probably a subconcious connection with the Orient Express theme.... lol

Anyway, I totally agree about Kevin Smith's works. Clerks was brilliant, and the things after were not so... even though I loyally went to see them all (hey, Woody Allen had his share of bombs, but over the long haul, they only peppered the many gems). Kevin stil has time.

Recently I saw an interview with the guy who is "Jay" and was amazed that he still looks just like he did all those many years ago when Clerks was being filmed. Maybe he's since cut his hair and wears a long wig.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on Studio 60. I am a watcher and am thrilled to know that there are at least 9 more episodes. You'd love it too if you'd get into it...even tho I know there is so much to watch you can't watch everything. I'm trying tho.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sydney, I'm another Sue Grafton fan. I recently began re-reading her Kinsey Millhone series. The bookmobile will be bringing me F Is For Fugitive on Tuesday. And the only books I have kept from a once large library are all of my Agatha Christie books. Some day they will belong to my son, another Agatha fan.

Anonymous said...

I too love S Grafton. Try Diane Mott Davidson's series. She is a caterer in Colorado, who once was a policewomen. Needless to say her catering business gets involved in solving murders. AND there are real recipes in the book.

Amazing Race may actually be on here at the correct time!!! Only one f-ball game was on CBS!!!!

Jackie S. said...

I think I liked Clerks more than Chasing Amy (which I actually own on tape). I never saw Jersey Girl - it just didn't catch my interest.

Anonymous said...

DELEE.... I absotootley LOVE Diane Mott Davidson and the Goldy Bear catering mysteries. She is just the best and isn't it torture waiting for a new book? I also like Tami Hoag and Susan Palmer and,of course James Patterson. I will be tuning in to see what this show is about this week.Thanks for the heads up,Jackie. As usual you are on top of things that seem to interest most of us,your loyal followers!!! Except I have to beg off on your love of Letterman,just can't stand the man or Leno much either for that matter. Guess I'm just not a late night person. Never even watched Carson that much either.