Sunday, December 31, 2006

Party Pants - This Week on 'The Late Show with David Letterman' - Jan. 1 - 5

Late Show with David Letterman Like David Letterman, I've been laying a bit low this holiday week. I hope everyone has had a good holiday season!

Dave is a repeat Monday night - New Year's Day. But then he's back in full swing for the rest of the week with new shows, new pants for the new year!

Here are the scheduled guests for this week:

  • Monday, Jan. 1: Originally aired 11/21/06, guests are Chris Elliott, Hugh Jackman and Jimmie Johnson. While I usually get a kick out of Chris Elliott appearances on the show, this wasn't a favorite of mine. Why, oh why, can't they show a repeat from a few years ago? Yes, the monologue would be untimely, but I'd enjoy it so much more than I do recent repeats. And, this is one show I wouldn't have picked for re-airing. Ah, well, Dave never asks me about these things!
  • Tuesday, Jan. 2: Martin Short promoting Broadway's Fame Becomes Me and Donal Logue (Knights of Prosperity). Um, okay. I'm not a huge Martin Short fan although the Broadway show seems perfect for him. ('Nuff said.)
  • Wednesday, Jan. 3: Matt Lauer from The Today Show, Artie Lange (Beer League DVD) and musical guest Augustana (CD is All the Stars and Boulevards). I like Matt Lauer, have no idea about the Beer League (although I've known some folks over the years who would love to be members), and I'm not familiar with Augustana. This could be interesting.
  • Thursday, Jan. 4: Cedric the Entertainer promoting The Cleaner and musical guest Switchfoot (CD is Oh! Gravity.) Cedric is okay and the band sounds interesting. They're ringing a bell with me, but I just can't place them.
  • Friday, Jan. 5: Now, this is the really big shoe... Donald Trump (probably promoting The Apprentice which premieres soon, but surely will touch on his latest embarrassing public feud with Rosie O'Donnell) and Mary Lynn Rajskub from 24. No musical guest is listed at this time.

There are the pants for this week. Keep in mind, if you are a stupid human or if your pet does a silly pet trick, they're always looking for new acts. I contend cats are under-represented but my own two cats refuse to go, something about shunning the spotlight. Go figure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

while probably not the best use of your comment space, I'm desperate to find out the name of the muscial guest on a Letterman show that aired Christmas week (probably a repeat?)

I was transfixed as soon as I surfed past and only caught the last few minutes and Dave's i.d was garbled, at best ... something about "family man" ... the lead vocalist played a lap guitar and resurrected memories of Stevie Wonder, Billy Preston and Sly Stone in terms of bringing the funk back ... any ideas?

Jackie S. said...

Laura - An excellent question and a most excellent band...

Robert Randolph and the Family Band is the name. Their latest CD is 'Colorblind' and they tend to hit the small club circuit on a regular basis. They've been on Letterman before and I became interested in them. Tremendous steel guitar and they get the whole crowd rocking! The website for the group is http://www.robertrandolph.net/