Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sneak Peek: 'The Funniest Commercials of the Year: 2006' on TBS

Tonight, tonight, you're gonna giggle tonight.

Mark it down - tonight, Wednesday, December 27 at 9 PM ET/PT, TBS. Be there. You won't regret it. Kevin Nealon will host the event from Times Square, NYC and it is the Funniest Commercials of the Year: 2006.

I've always been a fan of entertaining television, even when it comes to television commercials - the funnier the better. I miss some of the great ones mainly because I'm not a football fan and can't endure the Superbowl just to watch the commercials. I miss others because I live in the U.S.A. and don't get to see some of the ads from abroad. I've talked about TV commercials before, from GEICO's Gecko to its Cavemen, and I've even touched on how much I love the offbeat AmeriQuest ads.

Thanks to the good folks at TBS, I have the inside scoop on tonight's show ahead of time. It won't keep me from watching it as it airs. I have screener copies from them with no commercials, after all. I have to see what commercials they have during the show!

Now, I know the Top Ten Funniest Commercials of the Year and, just to tease you... I even know the order. But I'm forbidden to tell. They're "embargoed" or something like that! If I tell, then TBS may tie me to a chair and make me watch the Duddiest Commercials of the Year over and over again until I plea for mercy. I'm not sure what they'd do if I were to tell, but I dare not. You'll have to watch the show tonight to find out for yourself.

What I will say is that some of these commercials, even ones not in the top ten, got me laughing. Although I'm very familiar with some, others are new to me. I don't believe they ever played the white-culture-club-rap "Tea Par-tay" (an ad for Smirnoff) here in the NYC area. If they did, it was during football or something and I missed it.

The foreign commercials often get a bit racier than our own and some of them probably couldn't air on our stations. But, they're in the show, possibly a bit censored, definitely somewhat blurred. To me, some of the racy commercials aren't necessarily my favorites. I like the ones which make me laugh out loud as they air and this show has many of those.

TBS has a webpage going for the show and I encourage you to drop by there and check it out.

No, you can't get the order of the Top Ten and the winning Number One out of me! I won't tell! It's embargoed information, I tell ya! TBS trusted me with it and I just can't let them down.

But I will say, I think they nailed it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Jackie, so you can't post the Top Ten today, December 27.
BUT . . . how about posting the Top Ten tomorrow, December 28, for those of us who do not have cable tv and thus can not watch the show on TBS ???

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie - I hope you had a great Christmas - I miss all the "BB" fans that come in here every day during the summer, & chat & trash talk each other !! It's like a huge family reunion from all over the country

I think I read somewhere that TBS has plans to tie you to a chair (this is if you tell), watch every super bowl that was on TV, just to see all the super bowl commercials, & no food or drink (except hot chicken wings & beer) until you've seen all the best commercials of the past !!
I agree with you, some of the foreign commercials are pretty funny, some aren't funny, even tho they may be racy - but my favorite commercials just make me laugh out loud

Have a great New Year All !!

Barb

Anonymous said...

is that Chicken George on the Robitussin commercial? Where are the miners?

Jackie S. said...

Susan - They have the list on the TBS site now. The number one winner was an ad from New Zealand, so it's nothing that most of us here in the USA have seen. It had a couple vying to get the car for themselves set to the old Turtles tune "So Happy Together" (Imagine me and you, I do. I think about you day and night, etc.) That was The Turtles, right?

They end up sabotaging each other and ultimately blowing up their house, but the guy got the car for the day!