Tuesday, December 12, 2006

TV Newsy Bits - Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Did you know that on December 12, a certain Frank Sinatra was born onto us? Yes, he was born 12/12/15. I had to Google the year, but I knew the month and day as it's also my brother's birthday. He was born a heck of a lot of years after 1915, though.

Just a sidenote: Today Google's image atop the search is of Edvard Munch's "The Scream." I don't know why, maybe too much pressure during the holiday season. Oh, wait. I just peeked again. Happy birthday Frank, Edvard and bro' Bryan. Munch was born in 1863. A century later, my brother was born.

Enough of that. What's the scoop on television stuff? Here are the TV Newsy Bits I found while roaming the web today:

  • TV Tattler has posted an interview with James and Tyler, the latest Amazing Race millionaires. Or, I guess, half-millionaires as they split the winnings.
  • According to Celebrity Spider, the season finale of The Amazing Race was a ratings winner.
  • Is Zach (Claire's "save the cheerleader, save the world" friend) on Heroes gay? Is he no longer gay? Have the producers abandoned that part of the storyline? Maybe the Haitian wiped that part of his memory? It's all a brouhaha with the series creator chipping in over at the AfterElton website. Me? It doesn't really make a difference. Most teenagers are exploring who they are, after all.
  • Speaking of Heroes, I notice that Milo Ventimiglia, the actor who plays Peter Petrelli, is co-starring as the son in Rocky Balboa, the new Stallone movie. His hair is shorter and greasier, but it's still a bit odd.
  • Huh. The Netherlands is the first place to go completely digital and is retiring analog television (that which you receive with an antenna). I have basic cable here, but it's much more costly than $18.50 a month.
  • TVGuide.com has Survivor 13: Cook Islands finale shockers. Wowsers. I'm eagerly anticipating Thursday's show and the finale/reunion on Sunday. For a season which was supposed to be so racially-charged, it fell away from that controversy. I wouldn't call it the best season ever. In my mind, that honor goes to the first season when all was fresh and new. But I liked the diversity of peoples this season. It's so much easier to remember who everyone is when they don't all look like pale model-types.
  • I'm watching Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas right now as I write this. I haven't watched the show in a decade or so and tonight's ABC showing is an expanded hour for a special 40th anniversary. I also can't believe it's 40 years old. Eep. I recall a 7th grade English teacher giving bonus points if we correctly answered "Who carved the roast beast?" on our midterm. Most misread it and were thinking a Dickens tale. I knew it was the Grinch and that I had a slightly quirky English teacher.

Today's Personally Noted TV Quote of the Day: "Maybe it's French. Maybe it's Italian. Maybe it's Fritalian." - Dunkin Donuts commercial.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey J-

I saw The Scream on Google and wondered myself.. thanks for clearing that up. I also saw that the guy from Heros played Rocky's son and thought he was a perfect match. Another unknown rockets to knowndom.

yes -- winning a million, after taxes is about half a million, cut in half between two winners is a quarter of a million... I guess it doesn't matter when you've actaulyl made the whole race to the end, done all that... its not BS when these folks say they feel like winners just to push themselves like that and see all the world... but all this TV money breaks down so fast. Ditto with Deal or No deal etc...

I totally related when you wrote last night that you felt wierd watching TV with no Heroes. We really missed it last night. Jericho is done too. But tonight was at least one more Friday Night Lights, so we felt we got thrown a bone (and channel flipped at commercials to the Grinch).

With Friday Night Lights, they did some kind of switch around the 3rd ep -- showed it either on Monday night instead of Tuesday for one week, or showed the weeks ep twice, two nights in a row or switched the nighn tit was on entirely after the 3rd ep -- I don't remember. HOWEVER, they announced tonight that it'll be on Wednesday nights when the show picks up again. WHY DO THEY DO THIS... jsut as they get an audience, networks usurp themselves by switching nights and time slots.

Anonymous said...

I also hate it when shows are moved around....one reason I am glad to have found Jackie's blog. At least I have half a chance to not miss where it has been moved to!!!!

Biggest Loser finale tonight. Top Chef. All new CBS shows!!! At least throwing us some new shows. Yet I figure after this week nada till 2007.

Darn just realised I missed N/T last night. Glad it will be on sometime this week. Friday night at 11p E for others who missed it.

Anonymous said...

I really liked Milo when he was on Gilmore Girls as Rory's bad boy,Jess.I was sorry when he left,but he has done very well for himself since. He's a cutie,in a brooding,bad boy kind of a way.

Watched "Criminal Minds" last night,and have to say,I am very impressed. I'd heard a lot of good reviews of it,and think I will have to catch up on this one. Have to get to know the characters,but like Thomas Gibson and Shemar Moore.

Anonymous said...

Regarding tv without an antenna - I guess a lot of us on a fixed income will just not be watching anymore when that happens. We still received tv for free with our "rabbit ears." My land line phone bill is $27.86. Hubby called to complain and they said "You just have to pay that," and then offerred to give us tv for another $39.95. We really can't afford this. Oh well. Hope I die before analog tv does.

Anonymous said...

Criminal Minds on tonight at 9p NEW ONE

Anonymous said...

Glad you turned into Criminal Minds Sharon... I've been watching it since the first season and love it. I originally thought I couldn't get involved because I don't like Mandy Potamkin, but he won me over on this show. He's not really the lead IMO since they all have equal time.

Another one that is excellent is The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick on TNT. I think it should be on tonight, 12/13 but there appears to be a movie. Keep an eye out for it tho, once you learn the characters you'll enjoy it too.

Anonymous said...

MEB....caught the new Criminal Minds tonight,and I have to say,I really do like this. It's a strong ensemble cast and I'm sure,as I get to know more about them,it will be even better to watch. I liked this one tonight,as Shemar Moore is a fav and this was an interesting storyline,although pretty early on,I had the real killer figured out.

Switched back and forth between the finals of "Biggest Loser" as well. That show is unbelievable! So happy for every one of them that lost weight and have a new lease on life. I wish I could be one of them,but I'd be begging for mercy and probably go home crying after a week.....lol.Way to go,all of you!

Then watched "Top Chef". I am so amazed that Mia threw herself under the bus,when I think they were about to send "Mikey" home! He's way out of his league in this competition. I really don't like Cliff and would somebody PLEASE send that foul mouthed Betty home and soon.She really rubs me the wrong way.