Tuesday, January 30, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Birmingham, Alabama Auditions

American IdolThe Birmingham auditions, in addition to being an hour shorter than many of the other audition shows, were different from previous shows. The Odd weren't quite as odd, more contestants either could sing well or couldn't sing well at all.

It was an odd night indeed. So, bear with me as this might be an odd report.


Tonight's Most Notable of the Odd
Simon Cowell
That's right, it's Simon Cowell's shirt! Yes, he wears those teensy-sleeved t-shirts each week. Although I don't believe I've mentioned them before, they annoy me. They're odd on men who actually have biceps, odder on Simon Cowell. In this pose, most folks with a shirt like that look a bit muscular. Nope, not Simon!

Make him stop.

Can you tell I wasn't too impressed with the Odd?

Victoria WatsonThen there was Victoria Watson's hair. And, her mother's hair. The locks prompted Ryan Seacrest to regress to his cheesy jokes, something (if I'm being honest), I sort of miss a bit.

"What brings you hair?" Ah, vintage Seacrest!

I felt sorry for Victoria when she was rejected by the judges. No, I don't think she was right for the competition, but her voice wasn't that bad. She would do well in chorus or choir, I think. Simon's comment about only a voice her mother could love was a bit rough. She wasn't a total non-talent like many going through the audition doors. Oh, well... hair today, gone tomorrow.

Why?I don't get this one at all. A 50-year old woman, dressed in Big Bird attire, with a name of Fowler. She wasn't funny, couldn't sing, wasn't even near the age she gave (26) and I don't even really want to give her attention.

Yeah, she might be a hoot as a friend. Yeah, she seems like a nice enough woman.

But, what the hell is she doing on American Idol?

There were a few other Odds, but nothing truly original. The last contestant of the second day, the show closer for tonight, just irked me. I did like the Simon "call me" interaction with Brandy Patterson, but that was all I liked. Wait... the floor excuse was a new one.

There Were Some Good Ones

Chris SlighYes, Chris looks like he should be in the Most Notable of the Odd, but he's my new favorite. His jokes are perfect and he can sing very well.

If he doesn't make it on American Idol, he could do well in stand-up comedy. "Some people think I look like Jack Osbourne. But when I look in the mirror, who do I see? Christina Aguilara!"

Many more went through to Hollywood. One of them had such an odd sob story that the story itself made me twitch to put it in the Most Notable of the Odd. But, if it's true, it's a horrible thing to live through as a child. "My Daddy shot my Momma because he caught her cheatin' on him, then he shot himself. He's paralyzed from the chest down. I take care of him and my grandma." Eep.


Twenty made it through to Hollywood. Most (of the ones we saw) just didn't come off as all that memorable to me. Tomorrow's auditions come from Los Angeles. Bring it, L.A.!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me cold hearted but I hate when people come out with a sob story from the begining. I love Chris Sligh. This is going to be an interesting year. - Jessiesgirl

Anonymous said...

I thought the girl (with the father in a wheelchair) had a nasal sound when she pushed the notes, but she sounded like she was singing from her diaphram when she sang softly and when she sang in a lower register. But she made it thru ...

The girl with the hair (which I thought was YUK-kee looking) had a better voice, but didn't make it thru. I mean they could have given her another chance.

What was with Paula? She is either on medication or she's under the influence. She was nuts tonight. I've decided that the reason she wasn't there the second day was they were making her sober up. Maybe that sounds mean, but since we've seen her in these auditions many times, she's just acting differently than usual this year ...making her unusal!

Anonymous said...

Completely odd show tonight. Not really that interesting, but yet not completely terrible.

The hair thing really creeped me out. The last girl was just wild, but, I agree, I LOVED LOVED LOVED the "call me" interaction. That made me laugh out loud.

This is the first season that I have watched any of the auditions, as I typically wait until about the Top 16 to tune in.

Maybe I should have waited again this year. :)

On a completely different note, have you caugh "Dirt" on FX? It is totally twisted, and I am really liking it!

dla

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!! I love your blog. But there are some others shows I love and would love it even more if you wrote about them. You should check out The Bad Girls Club on the Oxygen network on Tuesday nights, I love New York on Monday nights, and SMallville on thursdays, and las vegas on fridays.

Anonymous said...

Jackie - love your blogs!! Haven't posted before, but been reading from the beginning. Just a note - the father shot the stepmom, not the Momma. Guess they needed a Pickler for this season?

KC

Jackie S. said...

Jessiesgirl - The sob stories irk me, too! On the other hand, I think I've fallen under the Sligh spell.

meb - I didn't like the sob story girl's singing, either. As for Paula, I don't know. She almost made my Most Notable of the Odd for her performance tonight but was beat out by Simon's shirt.

dla - I haven't caught Dirt yet. The buzz I was reading on it wasn't so good, but if time permits, I'll check it out!

anon @ 2:54 - Unfortunately, I don't watch any of those shows. I caught part of Love in New York and got frightened away by Omarosa.

kc - Thanks! Yep, she seems to be a Pickler fer shure!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie,
I haven't been on here since Big Brother ended, but I had to comment on Idol. I have been reading comments all over the place about Paula being drunk and I usually just shrug them off, but after her antics last night, I have to join the "Paula's a drunk" bandwagon! She was so loopy she couldn't even stay in her seat. All I can say is if she's not drinking, then she better be careful which medications she's mixing together! The looks that Simon gives her are absolutely priceless.
RBennie

Anonymous said...

Simon's t-shirts probably cost $50 or more a piece, I too wish he would wear real clothes.

The mom and daughter should cut their hair and donate it to the org that makes wigs for chemo-patients. Those heads of hair would make at least 40 wigs.

DIRT is quirky-filthy-fun!!! Almost makes N/T seem PG

Anonymous said...

what whas that show about? paula was more entertaining than the "singers". she took her happy pills, alright. that could account for why she wasn't there the next day. chris sligh on the other hand had me rolling! i immediately felt like i should start a Sligh-Guy fan club! he's my new fave too! thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Chris Sligh is awesome gotta watch him some more