Sunday, January 14, 2007

'The Apprentice: L.A.' - Ep. 2 -or- "How to tank a show in two episodes"

The ApprenticeI think the 24 fans had a better TV night than Apprentice fans. At least, I hope they had a better time than this Apprentice fan. I should speak for myself, after all.

Here's the idea - move the show to Los Angeles, go more shallow than need be, send a team of mainly women to the Playboy mansion as an exciting reward, talk about how great your body is, think pink, and call it a show. The great body bit was Trump. He's known for his abs and pecs, right?

This season is seriously flawed and it's just the second episode! Now, I know I watched the premiere. In that premiere, the teams had no names. I know they didn't. The caption on the screen referred to "Heidi's team" or "Frank's team." Tonight, with no discussion, the teams suddenly have names as if they had them all along. What's up with that? Heidi's team is Kinetic while the losing team is named Arrow.
Dearest Daddy
When the teams met Trump and the Trumpette (Ivanka) at Palisades Park, what the heck was with Ivanka? She looked all goth-gone-Beverly Hills with a with an odd black outfit and raccoon make-up. The task this week was to design, manufacture, and model a bathing suit line for Trina Turk. It wants to bring the Valley Girl out of me. Oh, the task itself is very "California" and it's technically a challenging job. But to saddle the winners with a trip to the Playboy mansion and a meeting with Hugh Hefner? Gag me with a spoon... please.

On the Arrow team, Nicole became the Project Manager while Heidi retained her position on the Kinetic team. Just like last week, it was very obvious which team was having problems. On Arrow, Carey threw himself into the task; he always wanted to design. Michelle spoke up against his teensy pink bikini brief shorts for men, and the guys on the team rolled their eyes, too. But Carey was adamant and persuasive. Carey, who's gay, was obviously thinking the gay market, but not the big picture. And, the mens' suit line is what killed their bid to win the task.

It's off to the boardroom for Arrow! And, off to the Playboy mansion for the overwhelmingly female Kinetic team. Oh, joy, joy... bunnies everywhere, with their little ears and tails, and Hugh telling his rags to riches story to anyone who'd listen. Don't get me wrong. I respect his success, but he's not someone I'd kowtow to, not at all.

One point I made last week was actually brought up while at the mansion. I said that the new "twist" of the Project Manager remaining the same on the winning team didn't give the others on the team the chance to shine. Sure enough, almost the same words came from Marisa while at the mansion. Envy is growing roots.

In the boardroom, Carey tried to put the target on Michelle (who is the only one who really spoke up about not liking the teensy suit). When polled by Trump, most thought Carey was responsible for the loss, with a smattering of Michelle and one vote for the Project Manager. Trump made it clear it was the teensy pink suit which killed their chances to win, but thinks his own body is so great that he could get away wearing it just like Carey did while modeling it on the runway. Yeah, right. Carey actually did look good in it. Just the thought of Trump's pasty skin against the pink is frightening to me, say nothing about the teensy factor. (Take that as you will.)
Carey
Nicole chose Michelle and Carey for the boardroom, but it was obvious that the firing choice was actually between Nicole as PM or Carey because he designed and pushed the suit. In the end, it was "Carey, you're fired." I kind of wonder how he would have done if he stayed longer. And, though I get the reasoning, I think that Nicole should have done more to control the team. Michelle and others definitely didn't care for the suit and she turned a blind eye to them.

Just a few random notes to end this:
  • I'm going to keep a running tally of how often Frank says the phrase "at the end of the day." Last week he said it three times, this week once.
  • When Frank told Trump he had to sleep outside because he's claustrophobic, Trump replied, "Don't worry about it. You'll be back in the Bronx very soon anyway." I guess he's out of the winning picture, eh?
  • Trump actually said the words, "I have a great body." Feh. If he had said, "I have a great ego" - well, that would be believable.
  • Next week some sort of "ultimate bombshell" is supposed to happen in the boardroom. Okay, save the show Trump Boy!
Dollar bills, y'all...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope this is the end for this pathetic show and it's obnoxious host. What a waste of airtime!!!

Anonymous said...

I am with you Jackie. This is becoming the season App loses me as a viewer. Focus is not on competitions. Saw very little of how suits got done except pinky. One team becoming the Heidi show (who are those other people?) Other team is our destroy mission. No sleep, no iron, no kitchen, no flush. Now let's see how they perform as professionals in upper crust LA! What is up with camera time on Ivanka. Yes or No, Ivanka. save the speech and the modeling. Dad, save your show! get back to the competitions between groups of high functioning professionals and let's see what they can do. I don't want to see lifestyles of the rich and famous friends and family of Trump!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even watch this second ep after the openign show!

I heard that less andd less quality people began showing up for auditions after season one... that it was very hard to find true, professional contenders who were willing to hurt their futures post-show by going through humiliation at the hands of editors or Trump's ego (unless they had the luck to come in as the top four of five people on the show, where at least they can say they made it far). Though I thought the season 3 & 4 had a few good people, this year...

In addition, often, those in the final few, such as last years' young guy who did the final charity event challenge (Denis Leary's Firefighters hockey game) are often not really equipped to do the job -- in life or for Trump.

The tent twist has nothing to do with corporate ability. It does serve to embarass me that our young up and comers would be so incapable of handling a little less that absolute luxury and we're broadcasting it to the world. Good. Maybe Trumpski and Bush ought to do a merger! LOL (forgive me, fans of either or both)

But, that just took it down an extra notch. I wonder if Mark Burnet has just begun to lose his edge on letting this one get by him... We know Trump has lost his.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way on your assessment of "The Apprentice". I actually liked the show the first season. My opinion of Trump has sunk to an all time low, not that I ever liked him and his overblown narcissistic personality. I think I'm probably influenced by his immature bullying attack on Rosie but even so, I won't watch "The Apprentice". I'd love to see Trump swallow his words on what great ratings his show gets. ;)

Zoetawny~
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement with everyone here! The season opener was blase, at best. Didn't even bother with the DVR last night, as I can catch a rerun on CNBC if I get that bored this week.

Dislike the new format, dislike the tents and whole concept, dislike all the focus on Ivanka, just pretty much dislike the show.

Zoetawny, I completely agree that I have let his childish and personal attack on Rosie taint my view, but he really needs to move on. I mean, who HASN'T made fun of his hair??? Melania probably makes fun of his hair when he isn't looking! :)

The Sunday nite line up is way too tough for this show to succeed unless something dramatic happens to change the course.

Looking forward to seeing those ratings tank ~

dla

Anonymous said...

Donald Trump like someone else we all know will NEVER admit he has ever made an error. Even bad ratings that force the show's cancellation will be "reinterpreted" as a success. It's all in the words...like when the senate was questioning Condi Rice on the wisdom of escalating in Iraq she said it's not escalating...it's "augmentation." As the immortal Jon Steward said augmentation would mean the troops are getting boob implants!