Sunday, January 07, 2007

'The Apprentice: L.A.' Season Premiere -or- "I don't like the way you talk."

Let me preface this with saying, "I don't like Donald Trump." I never really did like him, but his latest publicity fiasco isn't going to stop me from watching the show. I've watched it since the first season. Hey, I don't even like the corporate world much. But I usually enjoy this show despite myself.

One thing I didn't do this season was check out the website prior to the season premiere. I usually do that to get a handle on the names with the faces and such. But this season, I went in blind to anything but first impressions or what I get from the candidates from watching the show itself.

Go figure... the two candidates I decided I liked the least ended up in the boardroom and the one I thought should go, did. But I'm getting ahead of myself here, aren't I? There are a lot of changes this season which need to be addressed before anyone gets fired.
  • The Los Angeles location instead of New York City. Now, I enjoyed the NYC location as I know the area so much better. I moved away from the L.A. area after first grade. I don't remember much more than mountain fires and Disneyland. Due to the location, unlike filming in winter in NY, lots of bugs were flying around. Perhaps one will fly into someone's mouth?
  • No more Carolyn as she's "no longer with the company" as they say. Unless I missed the news, George is still a lawyer on Trump's staff, but not on the show. Instead, there's dear daughter Ivanka and, in the beginning, an empty chair to accompany her on the board with Daddy Trump. I won't be surprised if Donald Jr. doesn't show before the end of the season, but he wasn't in the premiere.
  • The Project Manager of the winning team remains the same as long as the team is winning. I'm not sure how much I like this change. It's going to affect the dynamics of the other team members who might not get the chance to step up to the plate if one team keeps trumping. (I couldn't resist.)
  • The winning Project Manager fills the empty chair in the boardroom and discusses who will be fired with Trump and Ivanka. Odd move, that one.
  • The winning team stays in a luxurious house overlooking the valley, all amenities you could imagine.
  • The losing team stays in Tent City. Everything is outdoors, including their showers. They're close enough to peek at the Have's pool and hear them, but they're the Have Nots.
  • There's a butler named Otto.
  • One of the candidates, Angela, was a winter Olympics gold medalist.
With bugs buzzing about their heads, Trump first assigned the whole mob the task of building a huge tent without telling them the losers would be living in it. During the task, they ran amok until one of the women, Heidi, spoke up as she was familiar with camping and tents. Then this really loud excitable boy Frank just took over. Even Trump, who's way too loud for such a teeny mouth himself, told Frank to tone it down. Oh, and Martin, who wears striped suits with checkered shirts (red and white like a picnic tablecloth) and differently patterned tie, decided he was the supervisor and didn't do much at all.
Ivanka Trump
Right off the bat, I didn't like either Frank or Martin. Martin also, upon first meeting Trump during introductions, asked about going to the bathroom. Can you just see my eyes rolling? @@

From the tent-building, Trump met up with the candidates in the boardroom and asked them who they thought took over the task and displayed leadership. Heidi and Frank were chosen by their peers as the leaders and became the Project Managers getting to choose their teams. Martin was the last chosen despite his high opinion of himself.

Teams then went off to run a car wash - the team earning the most money would win. Heidi's team played it right. They enlisted two shirtless guys in a mainly gay area to hold up cardboard signs touting a free lunch (hot dog) with a car wash. They went for quantity more than quality - get the cars in and out as quickly as they could. They ended up backlogged, but the whole team really hustled and worked hard.

With Frank's team, I don't know what the hell was going on. Frank and Aaron went off to make flyers for handing out on a busy street? Duh, guys. They wanted to push detailing vehicles for $100. Now, if I decided to have an impromptu wash of my car, it wouldn't be a full detailing. The team didn't work together at all.

What surprised me was that Heidi's team didn't win by a huge margin. Less than a hundred dollars separated the winners from the losers. The winners got to go off to dinner with Donald Trump at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant Spago. Trump told the losers they'd have to build another tent and live outdoors while the others moved into their fancy digs.

Excitable Boy Frank got all excited and Martin thought he got shrewd and psychological as both campaigned against each other in the tent talks before the boardroom. I expected Frank to thump his chest and, by golly, he did! All their actions really did was to conceal any faults others might have had and make them larger targets for the rest of the team. Silly boys.
Martin
In the boardroom, most of the candidates seemed to think the Frank or both should go. If it was time for a double firing, I'm sure both would be gone. Ivanka is sounding more like Dad as she talks - her voice seems to be lower even. She's pursing her lips. We better watch her hair! She came across as quite surly at times... to the point of telling Martin, "I don't like how you talk." Huh? Say what? What kind of reasoning is that? If she's going to mention that, she should have mentioned the checkered shirt business, right?

Even though Excitable Boy lost his composure on a major basis, it was still Martin who heard the words...

"Martin, you're fired."

A good choice, but I don't think Frank's long for the show. Passion is a good thing, but self-control in stressful situations is a much better thing.

A few random closing thoughts after this week:
  • I think that the man named Tim looks like Fred Savage.
  • A perfect pot calling the kettle black scenario happened - Trump to candidate Stefani in the boardroom - "You're very vicious... oh, but you're a lawyer." Reality check. Trump isn't a lawyer.
Dollar bills, y'all...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I have also watched the show from the beginning season and will be watching this season. I don't particulatly care for Mr. Trump either, but I listen to his "Business Tips" and try to learn from them. The continued fiasco with/against Rosie could have been a ploy to get more viewers to watch this New Apprentice filmed in L.A. That thought immediately came to mind when he threatened to "sue" Rosie or "The View" because of the comments she made about him. He may not be too confident about the success of this season's Show since he has moved it to L.A. and felt the need to stir-up mess and over-react to Rosie.
Gayle

Anonymous said...

Hoorah...Jackie is back with the @@'s. Feel bad for the candidates, why? Living next door to Trump will be hard. They need to be quiter and less rowdy. Heaven forbid if they wake the baby. LOL

Frank is a mess and I do not see why he is still there. That man can not shut-up. He interrupted Trump constantly, other App's when a peep did that Trump told them to shut-up when he was talking. But last night not? For all his posturing, I do not feel he ever says anything!

Let's see an 8 x 11 piece of paper and cars whizzing by, and the other team had hunks and ratty cardboard. Once Frank's team got poster board their $$$ started going up.

Having the winning PM on the board is smart. The Donald can see them more personally, their sharpness, fairness, and how they would handle themselves in a leadership situation close-up. Heidi was active at the beginning of the boardroom, but seemed to fade to bystander halfway thru. Guess that was planned.

LA will bring fresh tasks and can not wait to see them and who will be the "baddie", the lovers, and the "I hate em", but they stay and stay.

PS Anyone notice the ladies using their (probably) expensive heels pounding in tent stakes? Clever....but!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think they have added some interesting twists. Do you think that any projecy manager could
possibly win every week? Also
since frank lost how will they
arrange for the next project
manager?

Anonymous said...

I did not watch The Apprentice last night. Sounds like I did not miss much. Maybe next week.

dawn said...

Jackie,
I don't like Trump very much either but always liked the apprentice. I think this season will be great. The candidates seem more grown up and qualified this year. Martin was an over educated pompous ass. He must of made at least 6 quotes. Frank is annoying too but I'm glad it was Martin. I liked the way Ivanka handled herself. She must have some great arguments with her dad. Thanks for all the work you do

Anonymous said...

Won't watch it..haven't since I quit in the third season. Now that it's become the "Trump Show",it's even more reason NOT to watch. What qualifies his daughter to "judge" anybody?? All I've ever heard about her is her "modeling" career and jetting around the country with the rest of the spoiled brats of the rich.

Did anybody watch the "Grease" show and what did you think??? I could not believe the "oldsters" that showed up for these auditions!! What a waste of everyones time. I think they should have set some age restrictions on these people,except that it makes for "good" tv,I suppose.Even "AI" has age limits!!
I'll watch for lack of something else in that time spot,but turned over to "Desperate Housewives" at 9PM,so only caught bits and pieces in the last half hour. I'm watching "Bros&Sis" at 10,really liking Sally Field and Calista in this."Ally" was always one of my favs when it was on!

MrsTito said...

Yay! I'm so glad I could count on your Jackie! I missed the end of the episode, and even though I had a good idea it was Martin who was getting the boot, I knew I could come here first for the news. NBC.com doesn't even have their recaps up and running yet...

MrsTito said...

Delee - I also caught the chick in white using her shoe and going at it too! Weird. I also noticed that "tent city" isn't that hard pressed. They have running water, a shower and did I notice them drinking beer? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Has always been the Trump show from the start!
Usually reruns on CNBC, but could not find it!

Grease is a AI want to be, bad singers, some who know they would never be picked. For AI age limit is dumb..not about fitting into a role..like Sandy and Danny.

Mrstito, the shower was funny they needed flashlight to shower, don't they know where their body is. GHEEEEEEEEEEZ Some are just too pampered in the modern world!

I would guess a new PM will be chosen but that was left out. I think Ivanka is qualified, Wharton and watching her Dad. I doubt if Trump would allow his kids to ride his coattails, without the proper training and education. She was tough last night, tougher than Trump.

Brent McKee said...

I'll go farther in my assessment of Grease...; despite being based on a successful British concept (called How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria - they were casting The Sound Of Music) this is a summer series that some network weasel allowed to escape . It will be slaughtered by any show it goes up against with the possible exception of whatever is on The CW.

As for The Apprentice the people who said Turmp should have fire Martin and Frank were right. Frank's marketing idea with fliers might work in New York City's congested traffic where cars are stopping all the time but the way traffic was flowing there made fliers worse than useless. As for Martin he may be brilliant, and he may have an eccentric dress sense, but in this show he was totally out of his element.

Anonymous said...

I think Ivanka's 15 minutes are up. Carolyn brought something to the show...Ivanka is just a chinless spoiled rich brat who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and because of her connections could work as a runway model...who wants to watch her mouth off. And I hear Donald Jr. will be working on the show as well. No one likes nepotism!
And as for starting with wife #3 and baby "Baron Trump," count on the Donald to give his kid an aristocratic name...a baron no less. Maybe the next one will be Duke or Princess. Melanie will be history just like Ivana and Marla...just wait. The "you're fired" line eventually shows up in his marriages too.

Anonymous said...

All the money in the world won't give Donald Trump any class...the man is a boor. Bet this is the swan song of The Apprentice...he's trying to morph it with Survivor with the tents, etc.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking that Ivanka is going to secure her spot as a single woman forever as she begins to be so brash as well as beautiful and rich... Even in NYC, guys are going to have a tough time with that, and I am saying this with sympathy. Her public profile has gone from lissome teen model, to lovely, classy, daughter of Ivana and Donald Trump to Donald The Second ... how did that happen?

I could not believe how supportive Trump was of Frank -- Trump didn't once say his usual STOP TALKING ...at least they didn't show us in the edit.

I too am not sure it's the right move at all to keep the team leader the same as long as they win. I think of what happens to leaders on Survivor -- plus these people are wanting a chance to shine, so I thought they'd practically throw her in the ocean to get her out of the way. But I watched closely and she seemed to have the attention of all on her team, and encourage them in the various scenes shown in the house and before the boardroom. Again, we see what the editors show us, but I was surprised there wasn't any backstabbing talk. Maybe it's just too soon.

PS: She does seem to be one of the saner people there and deserves the spot.

Anonymous said...

Mrstito -- I could not believe when the folks staying in the tents complained it was "really third world". I think it was becasue toothpaste didn't drain from the sink... WOW, that's really hard to endure.

I have to say that if this is representative of the next generation who are seeking corporate life -- since corps run the world -- we're in trouble, as they know nothing about what is REALLY going on in most of the world, and how lucky we all are here. Not trying to sound like a soap boxer, but I assume you all know what I mean on that one. Yikes.