Wednesday, January 10, 2007

If Money (and Time) Were No Object - TV on DVD

Oh, if money and time weren't so restrictive! It's a horrible quandary, isn't it? There are so many great television shows on DVD these days, but some are cost prohibitive and all would be very time-consuming. After all, some of the series I'd love to own on DVD took me several years to watch in the first place! Yes, they're consolidated into one nifty handy-dandy package, but still...!

I can dream, though. And, in my dreams, I have a huge wishlist. Now, I'm not even mentioning the movies I'd like to own. I'm just talking television on DVD here.

Number One on that wishlist is the entire series of Homicide: Life on the Street. I currently own the DVD set of the first two seasons, but that's not enough. I want the Complete Series Megaset! I wonder what the difference is between the Complete Series Megaset and the Complete Series Seasons 1-7 is other than over $150. The latter is nearly $400. Yikes. Dream big, I say, since neither is logical in my budget. Hey, it's only money and a couple of solid days worth of time without accounting for sleep to watch it all, but I just can't justify it. To this day, I think that show was one of the best-written and acted crime dramas ever on television. I have my two seasons and I watch the show on WGN (cable) whenever I'm home on a weekday, but that's not cutting it. I want it all!

Another police-related show I really enjoyed has its first season available on DVD and, at a much more reasonable price. Barney Miller. Yep, that one could be a go. I'm not seeing it so much these days on television after the reruns over-saturated the market some years back.

What I'd like to know is why they have DVDs of shows like Hart to Hart (eh) and Gidget, but no original The Fugitive? I'm talking the one from the 60s with David Janssen. There's a series I'd be lusting after just as much as my Homicidal lust. I remember sneaking to the stairway to watch through the railings late Tuesday nights when I should have been in bed. It was an odd show for a small child to enjoy, but I was addicted.

TJ Hooker is on DVD and no The Fugitive? What kind of TV world is this? At least I can understand why The Time Tunnel is available (and, yeah... I'd like that one).

I would like to own the DVD of the first season of Saturday Night Live. Where I was living at the time refused to air the first show as it was too controversial, but viewers spoke up and it became a part of my life. Today it's not the same. But those first few years were so new and fresh that I'd like to relive the magic. This time, sober and adult and all. Hmmm... maybe the same magic won't be there! Oh, well, still I'd like to buy it.

I'd like to collect Lost on DVD if for no other reason than to go back and clue-check stuff. Owning it would be like having my own personal Lost encyclopedia -- something which can be sort of necessary to watch the show and pick up on everything.

I'd like to own some shows I haven't seen as I have only basic cable; The Sopranos, The L Word and The Wire come to mind. Heck, I've seen them shooting some of the street scenes for The Sopranos, but I've never seen the show itself.

I'd like the entire Mary Tyler Moore Show just because. From her move to Minnesota to Tipperary, I want it all.

One thing I'd love to see packaged on DVD is Letterman's years on the old NBC show Late Night with David Letterman. They've packaged Johnny Carson's funniest bits from his long run - I want Letterman's from that era. He was zany and whacky and I just loved it.

What shows would you like to own (if not for money and time)? Or, what shows on DVD don't exist, but you think they should?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feud Does Little to Boost 'Apprentice' Ratings
By STEVE GORMAN, Reuters


________________________________________
LOS ANGELES (Jan. 8) - Real estate tycoon Donald Trump 's relocation to the West Coast for his latest edition of "The Apprentice" did little to bolster sagging viewer interest in his corporate-themed reality show.

Returning to the airwaves following a highly publicized feud with talk show host and comedienne Rosie O'Donnell, Trump averaged a lackluster 9.1 million viewers for Sunday night's premiere of the sixth installment of "The Apprentice."

That tally was down 600,000 viewers from last year's premiere of season five and marked the smallest audience yet for a season debut of Trump's show on NBC, ratings service Nielsen Media Research reported Monday.
"Apprentice," which turned Trump into a TV star and introduced his signature catch phrase "You're fired," has steadily declined in the ratings since its first and most successful run in the spring of 2004.

Anonymous said...

I recommend Project Runway season 2; excellent, probably the best of the three seasons so far. I got season 1 SNL for Xmas and seriously looking forward to seeing it. Hope they have Lorraine Newman and "Land Shark" and Dan Ackroyd opening the news with "Jane you ignorant slut". Ah, the memories. Would love to own Lost and Northern Exposure. Hearts Afire and Mad About You. But everything is sooo expensive!

Lili

PS Looks like DT is getting what he deserves;YEA!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie,

I'd relieve my childhood and buy Friday nights back! Don't know if they all exist:

The Brady Bunch
Partridge Family
Room 222
The Odd Couple
Love, American Style


And I'd get the rare Joanie Loves Chachi (Scott Baio!) and The Ellen Burstyn Show (I worked on it and have no tapes!).

Happy Wednesday!

Anonymous said...

Jackie -- JUST TODAY I was on Barnesandnoble.com because they are offering two for one TV sesries DVD box sets -- I got Commander in Chief season one, part 1 and 2 for only $25 for both, (becasue I have amembership card that gives me an additional 10% off), and any order over $25 is free shipping. Hint hint. Perhaps you should peruse to see if some of the things you want are on there. There is also a coupon to get Lost's first season....

They have British TV series for this 2 for one too. I almost went for the original avengers and Fawlty Towers, but I didn't... yet.

Project Runway was also int hat deal -- a show I loved but would I really watch it again, and again? In 10 years? (This is how I decide if I want to invest in a DVD). Dark Shadows is tempting for posterity, but I have the soundtrack RECORD, yes the vynil and cover... maybe that's enough.

I saw the boxed set for That Girl for the first time ever in the actual store over X-mas and I would love to have that. And the first season of Survivor for sentimental reasons. Pee Wee Herman's Playhouse in it's entirety.


I own the complete seasons of both Sopranos, and Sex in the City. The first season of Rome is mine, and I hope I'll want to own the second.

Have one season of Six Feet Under, might like to complete that set, but it's mid range on the list. Used to own all the X-files on VHS, but gave it away in a move and just will really never have the time to revisit it again. It's in that 6 feet category.

But I would totally buy yourself the first season of Sat night live. It was a time in your history, a great cast -- I have a feeling that Roseanne Rosanadana, wild and crazy guys, the Samuri etc will stand the test of time.

Good question -- it will be fun to read what everyone writes in about!

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
What sites/stores do you use to peruse the latest dvd releases for Tv series, etc.
My husband is working in Iraq, so no tv. He has a portable DVD, and some of those tv shows on dvd would be perfect for him to watch.
THanks
Angela

Anonymous said...

OMG Madley -- I had forgotten about Love American Style (but I can sing their theme song right now for ya...). Somehow I connected it to Solid Gold...

My after school line up in Chicago was:
Always Dark Shadows then either:

The Andy Griffiths Show or Mayberry RDF
I Dream of Jeanie
Bewitched
Family Affair

Or the 3:30 afterschool movie instead, which was a lot of Elvis, Shirley McLaine or natalie Wood movies, or all the old Beach Blanket ones...

Anonymous said...

Not on DVD yet, Scarecrow and Mrs King! MacMillon(sp) and Wife, Cosby-never watched it when on TV, but now watch on Nick at Night. Never can think of things when you want to. I agree 1st season of Survivor would be fun to see and compare, A Race too.

Jackie S. said...

Lili - That's why I said IF money was no object. ;-) I couldn't believe they want almost $400 for the full run of Homicide: Life on the Street!

Madley - Thanks a lot. Now I have the theme for Love American Style stuck in my head. I think many of the ones you mention are indeed available... The Partridge Family sure is. Should I admit that I once saw David Cassidy in concert when that show was on? Yipes.

Sydney - Right now I'm sitting on Amazon/Borders gift cards which can be used for DVDs there, but I'll peek at Barnes and Noble. Amazon is having a big TV DVD sale, too. The "test of time" bit is true indeed. Not all shows will pass.

Angela - If you go to amazon.com, they usually list the most recently released TV DVDs and have newsletters and such about them, as well! Best of luck to your husband - it sounds like DVDs are a good diversion from what may be happening around him.

Anonymous said...

Jackie: Hi! Have not talked since BB7, but have been lurking around! :) I have only basic cable now, but went for many years without any TV, I was a reader, but due to eye problems, had to change. I instantly fell in love with reality TV. There are also shows that my friends talk or talked about that I thought I might like. I use NetFlix now. This way, I can preview the season and then decide if I want to own it. I just finished the first season of Amazing Race. Alot of changes. It was fun. I also watch alot of the shows that have been on for years just catching up on them. NetFlix is great, cause I can keep the DVD as long as I like, taking my time to watch. Then either check it to buy, or mark it off as not worth the money. As for childhood memories, I was in love with the jaguar on the Equalizer and would love to see it again!

Just adding my two cents. See ya!

Gen

Anonymous said...

Let's see......I'd love to have "The Carol Burnett Show",the whole thing and keep watching the infomercial and mulling it over.Also would buy "Homicide" and loved "LA Law"."Remington Steele" was another fav,as was "Evening Shade"(I'm a big Burt Reynolds fan...I know,I know)..LOL.

I,too,have Netflix and have rented a lot of my old favs and have found some do NOT stand the test of time.My kids and I loved "Fraggle Rock" and when I watched it(or tried to),I was like,what the.....!I own "The Muppets" series from TV and love them.Tried "Twilight Zone" and they look so dated and not nearly as scary as they were back then. Also have watched some of "The Fugitive" and they too seem dated and out of touch.But that may just be me!

Would like to have SNL...the early years only....can't stand to watch them now. I would rather watch MADTV,but boy,do they shock me sometimes....my age showing,no doubt....LOL.

I'd like to see "Rome",it's on my Netflix list,because I loved "I,Claudius" when it played on PBS years ago,and I have watched them all from Netflix as well.And,I also like "Six Feet Under".

Now,I really like "Project Runway",but don't think I care to have it on DVD,but would like to have all "Survivor" and TAR seasons,as you forget so much as time goes by.Sorry for being so long winded here........LOL.

Anonymous said...

OK I was being too practical before, here's my fantasy list:
1) Ed Sullivan Show as it was before my time and I've never seen a single episode of this groundbreaking show.
2)The Cybill Show-super funny.
3)Televised MLK and JFK speeches.
4)The Sonny and Cher Show.
5)Hearts Afire.
6)The Johnny Carson Show
7)The unfilmed second season of Threshold, Surface and Invasion as they all got cancelled at the end of their first season and they were unable to resolve their mysterious plotlines. Ditto for third season of Dead like Me.
8)The Mike Douglas Show.
9)The Rosie O'Donnell Show.
10)The Carol Burnett Show.

Lili

Anonymous said...

I want picket fences on DVD

Anonymous said...

Loved reading so many lists -- and hearing about Netflix which I am thinking of signing up for. Blockbuster is comingout with a similar program that encourages you to return it to the store for a free rental on the spot, no waiting, but they don't have all the titles...

SHARON - interested to know what you think of Rome. I saw Rome THEN just bought I claudius and in comparison it seems to pale, but in fact, I think Rome took a lot of it's authenitcity cues from I Claudius - it's just a different time for actors, HD etc...

This column (and LILI's second list) makes me want to reccomend that anyone in NYC or LA or visiting that they might want to stop by the Radio adn TV museum. You can order up virtually anything that was ever broadcast and see it with a friend, in comfy chairs, in private booths much like library nooks...
I saw John Lennon and Yoko on Carson, watched the Kennedy/Nixon debates, watched the first step on teh moon in it's original form, etc... If I had the time and motivation, it would be cool to watch Watergate to see what that really was all about, and follow how TV coverage of the Vietman war unfolded, and forever changed our perspectives...

It's funny, I was an art film major and have a million books, always loved the written word. Never used to watch TV from Junior year in High School through my early 30's and then I forced myself to watch to see if I might become a TV writer. Then it was bad sitcoms mostly, but perhaps now it's become at least a valid educational tool -- History, Discovery, Home and Garden, etc.. but also a valid art form in my book (no pun there).