Sunday, January 14, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Sunday, January 14, 2006

What a night it's going to be for true television fans tonight, eh?

NBC has a new Deal or No Deal airing at 7 PM ET/PT, then a new Grease (whatever - that's something which is very low on my interest scale), followed by The Apprentice: L.A. (which I'll be recap/reviewing late tonight) and wraps up the night at 10 PM with the return of Crossing Jordan. I used to watch that show, but it's been gone so long I fear I forgot what last happened on it.

At 8 PM ET/PT, there's the highly anticipated by many two-hour season premiere of 24 on FOX. Another two hours will follow tomorrow night starting at 8 PM ET/PT.

CBS has new episodes of Cold Case and Without a Trace starting at 9 PM ET/PT. ABC is airing new episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, and Brothers & Sisters for its evening primetime block. And, don't forget - if you're a Jay Leno fan, he's a guest on HGTV's Living with Ed tonight at 10 PM ET/PT. We've gone from famine (repeats) to an overwhelming feast of new shows... and I'm just talking about a few networks.

In other TV Newsy Bits:
  • Not having HBO with my cable, I've missed a show I keep hearing about - The Wire. I caught an episode of it last night on BET. It immediately snagged me. It's created and written by David Simon, the writer who's responsible for Homicide: Life on the Street. It's that same rough edge Baltimore he knows so well. I chatted with him once at the New York is Book Country Book Fair. I like his books. Now I like The Wire.
  • CBS has an article in which Matthew Fox (Lost) talks about his dark side. [I'll refrain from discussing my own dark side for the sake of the general public.]
  • The New York Post has an article about wild times in the depravity dorm of American Idol. Heh.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaay! FINALLY, Rome is coming back on tonight, first ep or their second season, 8PM CST on HBO! Can't wait!

Jackie, have you seen any more of the Sopranos? I don't know if they are running 2 back to back eps a week or just one... assume in chronological order though. Lookking forward to more of your thoughts on it as it goes on a bit...

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten how fast 24 moves. It was 2 one hour episodes and it seemed as tho it was over in 20 minutes. I like the fact that they bring back a few of the regulars but always have new characters added. Tonight was very good and so I'm eager for tomorrow night.

Football messed up timing for Cold Case and Without a Trace, so I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Tivo'd them so I could watch 24.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!

Long time, no talk. My laptop was held hostage by Best Buy for the better part of 3 months, so I have been out of commission. Just purchased a new laptop last week!

I had to leave a note to say how much I LOVE The Wire!! I know they said it never had a big viewing audience, but I think it is a terrfic show, with compelling storylines.

Thanks for all you do, and keep up the great job!

dla

Jackie S. said...

Sydney - They're airing The Sopranos once a week, I think. I'm going to have to check the listings. I haven't seen any more eps since that first night.

meb - I missed Case, caught Trace. Trace was an unusual episode.

dla - Welcome home! I wondered where you were. Once I saw who was behind The Wire, I knew I'd like the show. David Simon is a Baltimore crime genius writer. He's really a very nice man to chat with, too. He was a crime beat reporter for the newspaper in Baltimore for years while writing crime fiction on the side.