Wednesday, January 31, 2007

TV Peeves

I'm a huge television fan, as you might have guessed. Now, there are some things on the tube that I don't watch at all just because they hold no interest for me. That doesn't mean they're bad; it just means I'm not interested. I'm talking about programming such as soap operas, most sports, Jerry Springer, and such. Oh, wait. The last one might be actually "bad."

But, I don't fuss or whine about them because I know that some folks do enjoy them and they have their own fan base. Of course, the fan base for the last one may be a bit sordid, but who am I to judge? My name's not Simon Cowell and I ain't no judge no how no way.

However, there are some things which irk me in programming I do watch. So, please allow me the opportunity to get the peeves onto cyber-paper and out of my system.

  • New York City does not have a blue tinge. Perhaps NYPD was blue, but the city's atmosphere is not. In its first season, C.S.I.: NY did the blue-tinged bit and now Heroes is doing it. Stop it. NYC isn't blue and, if you're going for some sort of "gritty-city" effect, it's not working. Plus, it makes photo-taking for my blog harder. I'm in and out of Manhattan a lot. Trust me, sometimes it may smell funny, but the air isn't blue.
  • Another NYC-related rant... I generally don't watch the local FOX news for the most part. But, since I've been watching American Idol, I can't help but to catch some of the local FOX5 blurbs and sometimes even the show itself. This is New York City. We're supposed to be on top of stuff, right? How can they not understand the concept of what a blog is on FOX 5 News at Ten? Yo, FOX5, listen up! What I'm doing right now isn't a blog... it's a blog entry or a blog article. Comments are not blogs. Your viewers are not blogging to you and you are not reading their blogs unless you're reading a whole actual blog (such as The (TV) Show Must Go On...). A blog is a collection of entries, usually with comments (responses), updated regularly so the newest entries appear at the top. You are reading your viewers' comments, not their blogs. I realize there is a section to create blogs on the website, but you're over-using the term and the comments read on the air aren't blogs. "Blog us now!" Go blog yourselves. Sheesh.
What's been irking you on TV lately?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time no cyver-see Jackie! Our local FOX 35 in Orlando, does the same thing with blogging and I never quite understood it. It's more like a message board. JMO. Totally understand the "blue NY". Visited once and NY is much more hospitable than the TV makes it look. :)

Anonymous said...

Oops....Should've reread my own post before posting. Meant to say cyber-see! LOL

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Manhattan and work in downtown LA. They never look familiar on TV, blue or otherwise. Once we walked through outdoor filming, oblivious as usual and my husband actually wondered why they were selling the Chicago paper in the newstand.

My biggest irk is the number of dark scenes. I don't need atmosphere. I need to see what's going on. I know CSI is on the night shift but can't they turn up the lights in the labs?

My second biggest irk is two irks both related to HDTV -- it has to scrunch the picture because of the widescreen aspect. I was going to buy a widescreen TV but that'll scrunch the picture the other way for non-HDTV. It's 2007 and I can't get all the TV in one TV looking right?

Also on HDTV, I swear every man I know thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and every woman I know says "so?" I can't really see a difference and honestly, I don't need to watch individual blades of grass. So why do I have a scrunched picture?

Justene

Brent McKee said...

I think the whole blue-tint/tone thing is meant to suggest cold in the same way that the yellow tint/tone used in CSI: Miami is meant to suggest heat. I suppose the whole thing is to suggest a sort of psychological characteristic of the city. The original CSI has it easy: it's a city made for the night with all that neon so it's only natural that the team works the night shift. Miami is "hot" because of the heat and the culture (particularly the Cuban population) New York is cold, I suppose, because that's an outsider's view of the city - cold and impersonal.

Jackie S. said...

Quixotic! Welcome back! I thought it may be a FOX-wide phenomena but I don't get any other FOX affiliates. And, yes... NYC is more hospitable than most who don't know the city think it is.

Justene - I like coming across shoots for Law and Order in the city. But shows set in NY and filmed elsewhere annoy me. (CSI:NY is one.) Great HDTV rant! I don't have it, so don't know much about it other than it's not in my present budget.

Brent - I think the "cold" bit is more of the feeling than the actual temperature since they shoot indoor scenes set in NY in that tint, too. Sigh... NYC (and Jersey) have a bad reputation, mostly undeserved. When friends from abroad visited and I gave them my "Jackie Tour" of Manhattan, they all raved what a lively, exciting, friendly city it is. And, to me, that's how it is. Anyone new to the city asking directions from a local will find out how great New Yorkers are. If they encounter a rude person, it's probably a tourist or hired help.

Anonymous said...

Jackie,
Would you just fix that whole HDTV thing anyway? I'm sure "they" will listen to you.

Justene

Anonymous said...

What "irks" me most about TV right now? I,unlike you,Jackie,am a soap opera fan from way back(my Mom got me hooked when I was in high school)and I really resent the way the networks are giving soaps the short end of the stick now. There is a whole generation of fans who have followed these shows for years,and now,they could give a rap about any of us.They are forcing the shows to cut most of the older players to cut the budgets and bringing in these "hunks" and "babes" to try to lure in the "younger" generations and it's a sin what they are doing to them. I'm sorry,but I wield alot of buying power and clout as well as these "kids" and I really resent this move on the networks part. I have watched DOOL for over 20 years and it's not fair! Do we really need another talk show(pul--leeze) or inane game show??The soaps are television history and they should be preserved,not treated like a stepchild. There I've had my rant........lol!!!

Anonymous said...

I go along with Justene on the "dark scenes" being a urn off. Lost lost me because of dark scenes. Also, AI currently is on my rant list. I am sick of watching folks make themselves look bad on AI ala Springer. ts the same thing. Jerry and the AI auditions both feature folks making themselves look like genuine idiots. Sooooo - I'm not watching the AI auditions this season. Also, why are they RERUNNING AI auditions from past years. This is really bad tv.

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
I hear you!!!! Guilding Light turned 75 years, (radio and TV). They have had some kind of formula, but you are correct, seems the younger the better. I think it is the adage "SEX sells"!!! I watch ATWT-GL-DOL. I have $$$, but save a lot, but I see what the Penn State students have and I wonder where their parents brains are!!!!! Where is the student that scrimped and worked to get thru college? They used to be lucky to attend class and have a drop of spending $. Now they have $$$ coming out their ears and Mom and Dad foot it all!!! Students now drive cars I do not want to spent the bucks on and party 3-4 days a week. Yet they graduate!!!! Go figure!!!!