Sunday, February 18, 2007

'The Amazing Race 11: All Stars' Season Premiere -or- "Don't let your Frat Boys grow up to be cowboys"

It seems like it was a long time in coming once the news got out that this season would be an "All Stars" season. For the most part, I think the team choices were good. I don't care for a few of them and I'm ambivalent about others, but I generally understand the reason they're on the show.

Unlike other seasons of the show, tonight's season premiere was only an hour. That, in a way, was a good thing as golf (of all things) delayed its start here. (Don't get me going on that!) But, even with two hours, I often feel the first team out really doesn't get remembered. At least with the "All Star" format, we know the team. And, it's one of the ones about which I was ambivalent. Phew!

Tonight's premiere, whether due to the abbreviated hour-long version or not, didn't seem to cover as much ground as did previous premieres. The teams raced on boats to Miami, bringing about a comment from Ian (an ex-narcotics officer) about Miami Vice. They got into their nifty TAR-Mercedes cars and headed off to the airport. Since a few of the teams, especially Oswald and Danny, were familiar with the area, there was a lot of following without hesitation from the other teams.
Charla, Mirna and Oswald at the airport
There were two flights available, an American airlines flight which left twenty minutes after a Copa flight but arrived almost two hours earlier to their destination - Ecuador. The more quick-thinking teams thought to ask, but David and Mary just jumped on the tickets for the flight which left the earliest. This, of course, is after Mary said in the show's introduction, "I can win first place without anyone giving it to me."

I will give them credit for trying to be sneaky lying to the Beauty Queens (Dustin and Kandice) by telling them that's the quickest flight after they found out it wasn't. But Dustin and Kandice didn't fall for it and only ended up on the same flight as they were later to the airport. In the end, it didn't matter which flight folks were on as both the first place and Philiminated teams were on the American Airlines flight. It was what went on in between the airport and the Pit Stop which made the difference.
"Frat Boy" Drew
There was no Roadblock in this leg. If there had been one, I have my doubts that one of my favorite teams could have made it through it. Oh, my... the Frat Boys, in particular Drew, are not in shape. Drew was falling; Charla beat him in a footrace at one point. Ack! Sort of like Boo on Survivor 14: Fiji, Drew stands a chance to "hurt himself out of the race." I'd hate to see that happen as I really like Kevin and Drew.

Once the teams landed in Ecuador, they had to find Pim's Restaurant where they collected tags for their departure times. Those times were 7:00am, 7:15am, and 7:30am. Romber was the first team there and most used locals to get to their destination. Ah, they remember their lessons learned, eh?

In the morning, the teams left at their fifteen-minute intervals. But once again, sometimes it doesn't matter when you leave. It's how you screw up in between which makes the difference. They had to go to the north entrance of the Cotopaxi National Park. Some went to the south entrance. Some couldn't find the park.
Ian
Once there, the teams were given directions for a Detour -- a choice between two tasks having to do with the local culture. They had a choice between Wrangle It or Recover It. In Wrangle It, teams had to lasso a wild horse, trim its hooves, and cut its mane and tail. The horses were in a corralled area, so it wasn't like they had to go hunting for one.

But in Recover It, hunting was involved. One team member had to dress in a historical military uniform and search a field for three missing items from the uniform - a sword, an epaulet, and a button. Romber, in a rather unusually not-bright move for them, first chose Recover It, then switched over to Wrangle It once they realized they had to find a button in a huge field. That didn't hurt them any as they made quick work of the task despite their hesitance to go for an animals challenge.
Eric and Danielle
After the completion of the Detour, teams had to walk (run) to the Pit Stop. Alas, while some teams were hitting the Pit Stop, still others were almost hopelessly behind. Charla/Mirna, David/Mary, Jill/John Vito were just plain old lost or misguided trying to find the right spot in the park. Drew and Kevin were lost with bad luck in the form of a flat tire.

In the end, the finishing order to the Pit Stop was:
  1. Rob and Amber - They also won a skiing vacation at Whistler for coming in first.
  2. Oswald and Danny (You go, Cha Chas!)
  3. Teri and Ian (He wears funny hats.)
  4. Eric and Danielle
  5. Joe and Bill (Team Guido after their dog)
  6. Dustin and Kandice (Evil Beauty Queens not so evil tonight)
  7. Uchenna and Joyce
  8. Charla and Mirna
  9. David and Mary
  10. Kevin and Drew
  11. John Vito and Jill -- Philiminated
Hmmm... I was so hyped to watch the show tonight that I ended up feeling a bit letdown. My adrenalin didn't pump as much as it should during a TAR episode. Don't get me wrong. It kept me entertained enough, I guess. It was good to see teams I enjoyed so much from their own seasons, like Kevin and Drew, the ChaChas and Team Guido (they set the standard for teams you love to hate on the show). I wasn't so upset that John and Jill went even though I always thought them to be nice folks. I would have preferred a Teri/Ian or Eric/Danielle boot, but at least it wasn't Kevin and Drew.
Phil Keoghan
To me, something was off tonight. Perhaps it was the one-hour format or the fact they didn't travel a lot. Perhaps it was because you just can't go home again. I don't know. But I do know I'll be watching again next week.

Your thoughts?

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the teams at the airport counter scene waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. I would have wanted more at the restaurant or when they were all bedding down together. I think that was the letdown for me.

Justene

Anonymous said...

I agree - the one hour format didn't lend itself to show much of the Ecuador experience. I hope they don't get too caught up in the personalities this season and lose what drew me to the show in the first place - the sense of adventure.

Anonymous said...

I want Romber GONE!

Silk

Callie said...

I know that everyone hates Rob and Amber... everyone but me, that is!!! I was psyched that they were on TV yet again. Everyone wants them gone because they're experts at high-stakes competitive games like this, which makes them a threat to your favorite teams. I love them!!! They're a balance of everyone's best and worst qualities and they make it work for them. I can't wait to see what new tricks they pull as the season progresses, because, even if they know that Rob is probably lying or isn't telling the full truth, they fall for it anyway. LOVEIT!!!

Anonymous said...

I too LOVE Romber...and I hope they win...they're fun to watch and work well together rather than bicker and snarl at each other. I also love the Florida boys...they were so relaxed and fun and nice on their season. Wish the show had been at least ninety minutes...it did seem rushed.

Brent McKee said...

Jackie, just remember that some of the highest ratings TAR10 got happened when the show was delayed because of football.

I like Rob & Amber too, if only because of their intense competitive spirit. Of course I'm even crazier because I also like Terri & Ian - I really wanted them to win over Zach & Flo in TAR3 even though Zach is the greatest individual player in race history.

You are right about the pace though Jackie - something was off in this first episode, just the way that it was in the finale of TAR10. They needed at least an extra half hour and probably a Roadblock for it to feel right.

Anonymous said...

I want Romber to STAY!!!! I also like Teri and Ian. I liked the show, but then I do not really disect it. The first one usually has to be taken at face value, esp this one as we refresh our memories of most of the teams (some do pop out in memory right away). Others? I did like what David and Mary tried to pull on the BB's, but figured they would not fall for it!

Can not believe our favs are back and onto waiting patiently for summer/BIG BRO!!! G8 job per usual Jackie and NE may be warming up a tad this week!!!

Anonymous said...

I was a little concerned when David told the Barbie's that their flight was to arrive first because you know they'll get back at them as soon as they can. But I feel the Barbies deserved it for what they put them thru during last season.

David and Mary need to be more aware or they're not going to make it very far.

Anonymous said...

I love Rob and Amber also. They're great players and keep it interesting and I love that they get along so well. I still think they were robbed at the end of their season. Uchenna and Joyce had a plane held up for them to take them to their hometown for the last leg. Still think there was something fishy going on there. If the "spoilers" are right, they won't win this either, but I sure would love to see them come out on top! GO ROMBER!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anon 904
Joyce and Uchenna also had to beg for money....but somehow they came in 1st.....grrrrrrrr. GO ROMBER!!!!! David and Mary need to get aggresive with a capital A. David did pass some teams...but you would think their map skills would have improved, considering they just raced!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jackie...
Romber's are to have a reality show, do you have any info when and where????

Anonymous said...

Here's another ROMBER fan! I love that they work so well as a team and that ROB respects AMBER,I hardly ever hear him talk mean or harshly to her,and he always compliments her on her skill at out thinking or playing others. AND ROB was nice to the CHA-CHAS,holding the bus for them...so there!

I was suprised at DREW for not being in better shape,and MARY too.You'd think they would have made some kind of effort to help them along this time. I thought when DREW fell,it was over for them,and I like them!Liking the CHAS,but could lose IAN,BEAUTY(??)
QUEENS and GUIDOS without shedding any tears. GO ROMBER!!!

MrsTito said...

Delee - Rob and Amber: Against the Odd's air(ed) on the Fox Reality Channel. They had a marathon on all morning Saturday and yes, I watched it (shhhhhh!) It's all about their three month stint in Las Vegas where Rob tries to make it as a professional poker player. It was a pretty cute, fast paced show, but I like poker so that probably helped fuel my interest.

Teams to beat (IMHO): Dustin and Kandace and Rob and Amber. Athleticism and pure love for the game will prevail. Plus, the willingness to do whatever it takes. Other teams have restraints and limitations that I just don't see affecting these two teams.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching AR since it first aired and was totally shocked when the producers had the airline recall a departed plane in line for take off to the gate so that Uchenna and Joyce could board...for a return trip to their home town. It never happens in real life...it never happened before on the show and it has never happened since. I think Rob and Amber should have won that year. I like Uchenna and Joyce a lot, but they deserved to come in second. Have you ever been able to talk an airline into returning to a gate because you missed a plane for whatever reason? I've travelled the world and never seen that happen. Push back is push back.

Anonymous said...

I was shocked too...if the aircraft was still at the gate with the door closed I could see reopening it for them...but it was on the tarmac. I'm sure the show got a lot of flack from viewers for that blatent favortism. And hey, I like Uchenna and Joyce...it's just that Rob and Amber really won.

Anonymous said...

Mrs Tito...darn---shucks!!! I do not get Fox Reality...maybe I would if I hooked up my digital box. IMAO....thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

for me it was knowing the racers which lead to me feeling blah about the show. there was no mystery as to how folks would react, etc.
i don't like that they get to use locals to get them places. takes something away from the game to me.
eh, overall a good show but not as exciting to me so far.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or does Drew look ill? His eyes looked sunken in and the dark circles were very prominent. I can take or leave Kevin and Drew, but I want Dave & Mary, the Guidos, U & Joyce and especially Mirna & Charla GONE. But then I didn't like them in their seasons in the first place. I know I am in the minority, but I really want Rob and Amber to win. I just really enjoy watching them race. Just to qualify things, I did not like either one of them on Survivor, I just enjoy them working together on TAR.
Thanks Jackie for all that you do, you're the best!!!
Sally

Jackie S. said...

Sally - I thought he looked ill, too.

Anonymous said...

I am another Rob/Amber fan..loved them on their season and love that they work so well together. I agree that they deserved to win instead of Uchena/Joyce although Joyce shaving her head was pretty darn admirable don't know that I would have done it... well come too think of it there are alot of things I probably couldn't do since I have an extreme fear of heights. I hope the spoilers are wrong and we see Romber win this time. Can not stand Charla and Mirna..didn't like them on their season and still find them rather annoying. Don't think Mary and David have what it takes...
Donna

Anonymous said...

I am another Rob/Amber fan..loved them on their season and love that they work so well together. I agree that they deserved to win instead of Uchena/Joyce although Joyce shaving her head was pretty darn admirable don't know that I would have done it... well come too think of it there are alot of things I probably couldn't do since I have an extreme fear of heights. I hope the spoilers are wrong and we see Romber win this time. Can not stand Charla and Mirna..didn't like them on their season and still find them rather annoying. Don't think Mary and David have what it takes...
Donna

Callie said...

I personally know the only reason i started watching the Amazing Race was because of Rob and Amber. Then I got everyone I know to watch it because they wanted Rob and Amber to lose. Which really sucks... everyone thought Richard Hatch was so great when he was the one who outplayed on Survivor, but when Rob does it on Survivor All Stars and assists Amber to first place, he's a snake. Then they do the same thing on the Amazing Race (Which was great because they not only played the race but the racers) and everyone just complains and says that they aren't fair. Life's not fair-- which is why that plane got held for Joyce and Uchenna by the powers that be. I have watched everything that Rob and Amber have done together and I am amazed at the amount of compromise that they can do. I know that I'm not that patient with my fiance and it makes me want to work on my relationship. Seriously. If they didn't work well together, their relationship would have imploded already.

Anonymous said...

I hope Uchenna and Joyce take it all again! I loved them on their season and felt their win was well deserved. It would be so great to see the look on Rob's face if they come in second to them again!

Anonymous said...

There's no way Uchenna and Joyce could win again. The producers wouldn't dare bring another plane back to save their butts again. Rob and Amber deserved that win all the way. GO ROMBER!!!!

Anonymous said...

Anon 9:14,

What makes you think the producers had anything to do with the plane being brought back? Has that been proven?

Uchenna & Joyce were the best team and they truly deserved their win. I hope they do it again and prove to all the Romber fans that think otherwise that their win was well deserved!

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt that the producers manilplated that plane to pull back in so that there would be a "race" - otherwise Rob and Amber would of easily won and it would of been boring - no doubt!
I'm glad Rob and Amber are back in it - like them or not - they are totally entertaining. I LOVE Oswald and Danny - so my 2 favorite teams finished 1st and 2nd!!

Anonymous said...

I agree - Drew looks like hell. I wished TAR would have picked all strong, competitive teams instead of weaker teams like Kevin and Drew, Dave & Mary, the Guidos, Mirna & Charla.

I also like Rob & Amber - they work well together and he is so repectful and appreciative of her. Lots of men seem to complain about their "weaker" female partners.

Anonymous said...

Without the "pull" of a network show try getting a plane already pushed back and in line for take off to return to the gate for passengers who arrived late for boarding. It would never happen in a million years.

Anonymous said...

I also love the Romber team.
I also agree with mosts---- the show was a little odd this time. I can't put my finger on it but it didn't hold my attention very good.
Heidi :)

pisgahscience said...

I have to say that I'm a romber fan too.

Wesley
(Formerly Anybodybutjanelle)