Tuesday, February 27, 2007

'American Idol 6' - Ten Men Sing to Stay

American IdolAfter last week's lackluster performances, I faced a bit of trepidation about watching tonight's show. Do any of these guys have what it takes to be in the top two? (I personally think we'll see a female winner this season, so the best a guy can do is runner-up.)

I feel overall that the men redeemed themselves a bit tonight, but my "wow" factor wasn't as strong for those I enjoyed as it was for either Melinda Doolittle or Lakisha Jones last week.

"This show is dedicated to the one I love." Yep, it was a dedication show, all a bit touching, but none more surprising than seeing Chris Sligh with his wife. They look incongruous, but it's love.

Here's the song lowdown for the guys:

Phil Stacey was up first. I know that folks think he has such a great voice, but he just doesn't do it for me. He sang "Missing You" by Brooks and Dunn. I ain't missing him. I'm just not getting him at all. Randy and Paula liked the performance, Simon said he wasn't jumping out of his chair. Neither was I. I predict he'll make it through, but I'll take no part in that!
Jared Cotter
Jared Cotter said he was channeling Marvin Gaye. He looked good. He did a fine Marvin Gaye impersonation. I want to like this guy. I think he can indeed sing, but I feel he's too cocky or something in front of cameras. Yes, he has to have confidence, but he's trying to be too sexy for his shirt. Randy loved it, Paula thinks he's good-looking. Simon thought it looked like a cabaret performance on the Love Boat. Bingo, Simon. I think Jared's chances of being in the top six men grew more slim.

A.J. Tabaldo sang "Feelin' Good" as sung by Sophie B. Hawkins. I think he did great, but he's not my choice for the win. I like the song and I enjoyed his performance, but I'm just not seeing "star" for A.J. Paula and Randy thought he did well. Simon said, "That was nearly very good. You did something right. You did something different. And, you were strangely comfortable with it."
Sanjaya Malakar
If Jared was channeling Marvin, perhaps Sanjaya Malakar was channeling a hybrid between Sinatra and Michael Jackson. I like the look of his fedora and slacks, but not necessarily on him. He sang an Irving Berlin song, "Stepping Out With My Baby." I thought it was a pleasant performance. Not earth-shattering, merely pleasant. Randy thought it was weird. Paula said on pitch and that he was an "old soul." Simon reamed him... again. He said it was like when parents dressed their small children up, was very weak, and a little weird. This is the second week that Simon kept at him. He must either want sympathy votes for him or to get him booted. I say he should leave in view of the other performances tonight, but I bet he'll stay.

Chris Sligh sang "Trouble" by Ray LaMontagne. Oh, and he sang it well. I so enjoy his voice! The judges liked him, I hope the voters do, too.

Nick Pedro sang "Fever" - a song I'm so much more used to women singing. He sang it well enough, but I have no real fever for him. The judges on the whole liked him. I liked the drummer who kept getting the good photo opportunities. I don't think he's all that long for the competition, but I could be wrong. I liked Nick's nod to Napolean Dynamite with a quick "Vote for Pedro."

Then came Blake Lewis. Although my heart is for Chris Sligh, this guy is very entertaining. He performed (didn't just sing) Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity." He threw in a tad of scratch and scat, he performed. Excellent job! Paula and Randy had their virtual insanity moment giving him praise while Simon wasn't as excited. He'll go a long way, I know he will.

Brandon Rogers sang another song best known for a female vocalist. He sang "Time After Time" by Cyndi Lauper. He did it well enough, I guess. It just didn't excite me, not at all. The judges, for the most part, thought along the same lines. I think he might be buying his ticket home although I also think he's very talented.
Chris Richardson
Not to be outdone by a human beatbox, Chris Richardson, turned up the heat performance-wise with "Geek in the Pink" by Jason Mraz. Wow. He can perform. I still think he's a Justin Timberlake doppelganger, but what can I say? Randy said he's in it to win. Simon declared it the best of the night.

Then, the surprise of the night, Sundance Head returned with a rocking-bluesy version of "Mustang Sally." No, he didn't quite do the Wilson Pickett version, nor the Rascals version. He did the Sundance Head version and made me remember why I liked him in the audition. The judges were thrilled to have him back. Hopefully it will redeem himself from his horrible performance last week and get him back on track.

All in all, I think we'll lose Brandon this week. We should lose Sanjaya, but I don't think we will. Who will be the other one?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too,Jackie,I really liked Sundance tonight! I think he was my fav,but then the Chrises were really close behind for my money!I liked Blake's song too and unlike you,I liked Brandon. I absolutely DO NOT like Sanjaya,I have to agree with Simon on that one,but think all the little girl voters may keep him around. I thought Nick was weak,and that's too bad,cause I did like him. At least the men stepped it up after being embarrassed last week.

Then I watched "R U Smarter than a 5th grader?" Where did they get that first guy??? I liked it,it really made me use my brain cells! It's been a long time since 5th grade for me....lol.

Then I sat and cried my butt off for almost an hour. I watched the ABC special about Bob Woodruff and his fight back from that traumatic brain injury! What a miracle they got! He's doing so well,but the heartbreaking moments were seeing all the ones who aren't and hearing about the thousands of men AND boys and women coming home just devastated by this war! I have to tell you,I voted for Bush and I tried to understand about this war in the beginning,but now,I just want them all home and let those people blow each other up if they want to. This was so heart wrenching for me personally and I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my opinion,but we need to hear and face what is happening to our brave men and women over there! Off my soapbox now.

Anonymous said...

The casulties to life and limb of our young soldiers are 10 times what our government is admitting. Very sad. And two more years to go and warming up for an attack on Iran...I say forget the middle east and find a new source of energy and they can eat their oil.

Anonymous said...

Hi all!

Happy Tuesday! Jackie, thank you, as always, for your terrific update on AI. I don't need to watch ~ I get my recap from you!

I had a relatively uneventful evening on the ole laptop, with TV in the background. NCIS, followed by L&O and L&O. Now watching Dave.

Sharon, I watched Bob Woodruff and his wife on the rerun of today's Oprah. What a touching story!!! Absolutely amazing. I forgot about tonight's show, or I may have caught that, as well.

Looking forward to Thursday TV!!

Have a great week ~

dla

Anonymous said...

I believe it will be out of these 3: Sanjaya, Brandon, or Phil. Really liked more of the men this week. They are still not on par with the ladies!!!

Sharon..the Woodruff's were on Oprah too. Unfortunately, war is war and hard for us back home. What frightens me more is what happens if we just leave.

Anonymous said...

As a child of the 80's, I would be remised if I didn't correct you...Missing You was actually originally sung by John Waite.

Thanks for all the GREAT blogging!

Jackie S. said...

Sharon - Because of the odd half-hour, I watched R U Smarter than a 5th Grader, too. I got all the answers right, so I guess I am. I'm not sure where they got the contestants. My one guess answer that I don't know how I got it was the base of the triangle one. I guess it was some sort of inner demon in my mind... memories of geometry or something. The correct answer just sprang into my mind.

I wish we'd get out of there, too. Too many valuable lives are being lost.

Anonymous said...

Chris Sligh sang a beautiful song with his beautiful voice. I'll be 60 tomorrow and I still "swooned" when I heard him. Chris Richardson was also very good. Didn't care for the song so much, but thought Blake has a good shot to make it to the final six. Phil was better, but I don't think he'll make it much further. And Sundance finally stepped it up a little, but if he doesn't focus more, he's gonna be in trouble. As for Sanjana, he needs more practice and experience. He's just not ready for this.

Anonymous said...

For Delee..what will happen if we leave is a rerun of Vietnam...first bloodletting among warring civil factions then realizing they needed to work together as a country. Vietnam is now a top tourist attraction raking in the $$$$. We don't belone in the middle of a civil war. We belong in Pakistan, Afganistan and Saudi Arabia where Al Queda really is. PS A woman will win for sure. The men are pretty slim pickins this year. Only a few good ones.