Tuesday, March 27, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Top Ten Perform Mentored by Gwen Stefani

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
I didn't find tonight's show as entertaining as last week's, but it could be just me. The stomach virus I've been avoiding caught me this morning and I'm way under the weather.

I thought Gwen Stefani had sage advice for all of the contestants. I loved how blown away she was by Melinda Doolittle.

She was impressed by LaKisha Jones, the first up to the stage this week. LaKisha belted out the Donna Summers song "Let's Dance." It wasn't my favorite performance of hers, but I'm measuring it against her own performances, not those of others. She did fine vocally, but it didn't move me the way I know she is able to move me. All of the judges enjoyed it.

Chris Sligh sang "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police. That's one of my least favorite Police songs. I wish he had done "Driven to Tears" or "Murder by Numbers." Gwen warned him to watch the tempo and that was indeed the problem with his performance. Randy and Paula talked about the tempo while Simon declared it was a mess, all over the place. I like Chris Sligh, but it wasn't good.

Next up was Gina Glocksen going for yet another Pretenders song, this one "I'll Stand by You." I'm not a huge GG fan, but I thought that her performance may have been her best yet on the show. Simon agreed with me about it being the best while Randy and Paula were also very positive. Simon also said something confusing about chalk and cheese, so I had to look up the saying. Ah, interesting... from that site: "
As different as chalk and cheese is an old proverbial phrase to suggest that two things, superficially alike, are totally different in their qualities." Huh. I never heard the phrase before and it dates to the 1500s.
Sanjaya Fauxhawk Malakar
Then there was Sanjaya Fauxhawk Malakar. Like Randy, I'm a bit speechless. It's like Sanjaya knows that he'll get the vote -- he's gone bizarre, plays up like he's all that (and remember how shy he was in auditions), and does weird stuff with his hair. He sang "Bath Water" by No Doubt and I was so agog at his hair that I couldn't tell you how bad he was. He told Simon that he was just jealous (the typical juvenile response) because he couldn't pull it off. I'm assuming he meant the hairstyle. He didn't seem to forget the words, but Gwen Stefani was indeed right to worry about him.

Haley Scarnato was next, singing Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors." Eh. I wasn't impressed. I think she might have bought her ticket home with that one. Simon was right -- it was forgettable.
Phil Stacey
Phil Stacey, who kind of creeps me out to begin with, sang the perfect controlling man, stalker song -- "Every Breath You Take" by the Police.

I'm scared now.

He actually sang it pretty well, perhaps one of his best vocal performances on the show. The judges were favorable.

My personal favorite, Melinda Doolittle, sang "Heaven Knows" by Donna Summer. Gwen Stefani is amazed by her and so am I. It wasn't my favorite performance of hers, but she is so darn good. Simon hated her outfit, I thought she looked good.

Blake Lewis was warned by Gwen to watch the beatbox and not to lose the melody. She didn't have much to worry about. He sang The Cure's "Love Song." It was tender, it was touching. Paula thinks he'll make the finale and Simon called him the front-runner of the guys. Although I actually like Chris Sligh's voice more, I do enjoy Blake's Take.
Jordin Sparks
Then there was Jordin Sparks. Gwen seemed as impressed as I am that she's just seventeen years old and has such control. She didn't let me down as she sang No Doubt's "Hey, Baby." The judges were happy except for Simon who loved the vocals, called her most improved, then said it was copy-cat-ish.

I think she did very well, once again!
Chris Richardson
Ending the show was Chris Richardson. Not sounding as nasal as some past weeks, he sang No Doubt's "Don't Speak." Eh, okay. This guy will never be my favorite. I just don't enjoy his voice all that much. Randy said it wasn't his best vocal. Paula loved it. (Um, okay.) Simon told him it was a better song choice, but he needs to pay more attention to his vocals.

So, who's going home this week? I always put Sanjaya on my I Want Him To Go Away List, but I bet he's safe again. I think Haley might be gone or... heaven forbid... Chris Sligh. Who do you think will be leaving?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonight I liked Jordin,Blake and Gina the best. Jordin just continues to blow me away and here's why I like her better than Lakisha or Melinda. She takes risks and does it very,very well. For me,the other two sound alike every song they sing. Can they sing different genres,we'll probably never know,cause they find a way to only sing songs in their niche every week.Both of them came up with disco era Donna Summer songs,not Gwen's style of music,like Jordin and some of the others.That's my complaint with the "front runners".

I think Chris S may be in trouble and Haley and I so wish we could say "buh bye" to Sanjaya tomorrow,he is now seemingly making a joke out of this. His singing was like a little girl tonight and the hair was ridiculous. He feels so safe,somebody needs to send him a wake up call,even Gwen thought he might fall flat on his face.

Anonymous said...

I think Sanjaya should definetly go home. He is now becoming cocky, and almost making fun of the whole competition. You can see he just doesn't care, and it's not fair to all the other ones that do.
I don't see the big deal about Chris S. I really don't think he is that great. I just can't seem to get past the lisp.
I thought Gina did great tonight! Didn't like the outfit, but loved her voice.

Anonymous said...

I think Sanjaya did forget the words at one point tonight. He truly makes a mockery out of this "singing" competition, but is great casting for a TV show! I want him gone, but since he will be safe, I have to learn to just laugh at him. Gina and Phil totally surprised me tonight and were their personal best.

Anonymous said...

I resent that stupid people vote to keep Sanjaya on solely because they like the fact he can't sing and want to mock the show. But that means that all those idiots cause a person with some talent and aspirations to leave and not have the opportunity to "grow" on the show. Sanjaya needs to grow at home.

Anonymous said...

I think Haley Scarnato will be going home (assuming that the nuts keep voting for Sanjaya). She's just mediocre in my opinion.

My favorite, from the beginning, is Jordin Sparks.

Can't get over Simon giving his opinion on ANYONE's outfit, considering his t-shirts.
And I agree, Sanjaya is getting cocky.
~Susan from MA

Anonymous said...

I loved tonights show because I am a die hard Gwen Stefani/No Doubt fan. I was sickened by Sanjaya's attitude and hope that he'll be gone tomorrow. BUT unfortunatly he probably won't, because of all the mindless sheep who are Howard Stern fans... By the way, his fiance guest hosted on the View today and said she wasn't pleased with what he is encouraging... Well now we know who has the brains in that relationship. :)
GO HOME SANJAYA!!! U R NOT AS GOOD AS U THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sanjaya will be around until parents get the first texting bills from AI. 99 cents a call plus tax (right?).

Jackie...hope you are feeling much better today. Pollen is getting to me and will for weeks.

Anonymous said...

Jordin Sparks has by far "grown" on this show, i think she is getting better & better every week, & to think she is the same age as sanjaya, is just funny - she is such a better singer, & is so much more mature than he is.

Lakisha, Melinda, did great, as they do every week

I agree, Sanjaya, go home - actually, i think if i was his parents, i would insist that he comes home, so the country can stop making fun of him !! He's way too young & immature to know what's really happening out there, he needs to go back to his life, & school & get better prepared for the "adult" world !!

Barb

Anonymous said...

V*O*T*E Sanjaya - he's the greatest!!!!!!! He has all 100 of my votes.

Anonymous said...

I think for now Simon was spot on...that whatever the judges may say about Sanjaya is irrelevant for now so he won't even play the pranksters game and comment. He doesn't take Sanyana seriously and knows that his time on the show just has to "run the course."

Anonymous said...

Sharon -- I completely agree with you. As much as I love Kiki & Melinda's voices, Jordin is the one who takes chances and makes me smile!

I read in several places that Simon has threatened to quit Idol next year if Sanjaya wins. The quote I found was "He's not going to win. I won't be back if he does!" This was right after Sanjaya beat out Sundance for a place in the top 12.

What I don't get is this...the judges are so shocked that he's still there. Why did they put him through to the top 24 to begin with?? I wish someone would ask them that!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought Jordan was a winner and she improves every week. Ialso said a couple of weeks ago that Lakisha and Melinda are both kind of run of the mill . Great voices but they sound like so many others already out there.. Jordin 's vocals get stronger and as sharon said, she takes risks. I really do hope she wins it all. Iwould definitely buy her CD(s)........... s, a v.i

Anonymous said...

I personally thought it was kind of funny that Gwen Stefani was mentoring the contestants - if you want to call it that, I didn't hear her give very much advice. Gwen is not what I would call a good singer - I actually think all the girls on the show are better singers than she is! What she is is a good performer and should have given some advice on how to really sell the song. Why do people keep lumping Melinda and LaKisha together like their the same person - their voices are nothing alike! While I do agree that Lakisha needs to switch it up a bit with her song choices, I don't think it is fair to say that of Melinda. She has ventured out of her comfort zone a few times and still gave great performances. It's sad that some people find it boring when contestants consistently sing beautifully every week. I love Jordin, she just makes me smile every time I see her. I thought Gina finally stepped it up, but I think it was more a case of a great song choice and I'm not so sure she can sustain the momentum. Chris S. has been disappointing since Hollywood Week. It seems like the life is being sucked out of him more and more each week. As far as the rest of the pack goes, it won't bother me to see any of them go.

Rbennie

Anonymous said...

if he didn't forget the words, he changed them because he is uncomfortable with who he is... "you're my kinda girl".. psh, that's definitely unbelievable coming from him.

Anonymous said...

To: Rbennie--

To say Gwen gave no advice to the contestants makes me wonder what show you were actually watching last night. Gwen was shown in private settings tell us what advice she gave to each contestant and on a few occasions Randy and Paula seconded what she had advised. Also, she may not be a singer in the leagues that Mariah,Whitney or Celine play in but she is a very talented singer with many years of experience. In all honesty, I would rather see someone win who can sing as well as perform since both are essential for a lasting career. Malinda & Lakisha can sing, but in a concert will they have enough to entertain? Gwen is a performer and a singer and I think those are qualities that both Blake and Chris R. possess as well...

Anonymous said...

When the British equivalent of American Idol was highjacked by bloc voting it was taken off the air. If Sanjaya wins, Simon and Paula have said they will quit and I think a Sanjaya win would end the show here. I suppose that would make people like Howard Stern feel powerful...he is such a child. Well, it was fun while it lasted. I hope that rather than dump the show they'll dump their voting system and use a Dancing With the Stars type where judges have more say.