Tuesday, April 17, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Seven Go a Little Bit Country

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
Often only a few can successfully handle the country genre when it comes around on the show. I think tonight's show stuck to that very theory.

The show opened with Ryan mentioning the VT massacre. But when a contestant (Chris) mentioned it, I noticed Simon's eyes rolling. Simon himself mentioned it at the end of the show along with the fact that the contestants had a "tricky week." I can't help but wonder if they told the contestants not to mention it.

Country singer Martina McBride was the mentor for this week. On the whole, her main advice was to be believable, connect with the lyrics, and tell the story. All good advice, I think. But did they all follow it?
Phil Stacey, Roswell Alien, and Uncle Fester
Phil Stacey was first on stage singing a Keith Urban song, "Where the Blacktop Ends." Martina had told him to start as powerfully as he ends. I'm not a huge Phil Stacey fan, but I thought he did well. If I don't look at him, his voice sounds better. He still tends to creep me out and seems to get paler each week. The Roswell Alien and Uncle Fester like to watch him, though.

Randy thought it was really good. Paula thinks it's his genre. Simon said it only took ten weeks for him to show some personality.
Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks was next with "Broken Wing" by Martina herself. She was a bundle of nerves as she worked with Martina. She needn't be. Martina thought she was "awesome" in rehearsal and I think she was awesome on stage. In addition to a WOW performance, I thought she looked exceptionally pretty tonight.

Randy said, "Dude, that was the bomb!" (A good thing, y'know.) Paula bubbled and gushed. Simon said she showed that she could win it all based on that performance.
Sanjaya Malakar Monster
Sanjaya Malakar, the monster we've created, was next singing "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About" by Bonnie Raitt. Oh, his singing sucked, an expression I don't often use.

But I think Randy hit the nail on the head last week -- this kid is very smart. He knows the controversy and is playing into it full force. It's like he wants to be a William Hung who can actually sing a bit. (Notice I said "a bit.") He's nowhere near the league he should be to still be in the competition, but he's working his Malakar Monster Mojo.

Randy said the performance was karaoke. Paula said he's a lovable guy who enjoys adversity. Simon said it was "actually horrendous." Ryan accused Simon of never liking him and verbal fisticuffs ensued... or something like that.
Lakisha - What's With Her Eyes Tonight - Jones
LaKisha Jones sang "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood. She told Martina she chose it because she connected with the lyrics. Well, um... she had a really off night for her. Her eyes looked weird to me like she had been crying or not feeling well. Technically, she sang fine hitting the notes. But there was no Kiki Kickin' in this performance.

Randy said it wasn't his favorite performance of hers. Paula agreed with Randy but added that even though she screamed, she was still "brilliant." Simon claimed she didn't connect with the lyrics and likened it to "eating a hamburger for breakfast." Now, I have nothing against hamburgers for breakfast, but her game was definitely off tonight.
Chris - Nasal is a Style - Richardson
Chris Richardson proclaimed his talent for country music and chose Rascal Flatt's "Mayberry." Martina thought it was an unusual choice, but he's a "good country singer." Say what? He got on stage and sounded all nasally once again! Randy said he sounded nasal with no connection and no emotion. Paula said he didn't show his love and joy of the stage. Simon said it was nondescript, nasally, tinny, completely and utterly insignificant.

That's when we got a lesson from Chris. "Nasally is a form of singing." @@ (Sorry... had to roll those eyes!) Chris actually defended his nasality claiming he does it on purpose! Well, that shines a new light on things, doesn't it?
Melinda Doolittle
Melinda Doolittle sang "Trouble is a Woman" by Julie Reeves. Martina had never heard of the song, but was dazzled by Melinda. So was I when she sang it on stage. Her voice is always superb, but tonight she also threw a lot of personality in into her performance.

Randy yo-yo'd and declared it a "solid performance from our resident pro." Paula said it was the right song for her and she sang her heart out. Simon told her not to act surprised (lose that) and then said she was fantastic. That, she was.
Blake Lewis Like a Deer in Headlights
Blake Lewis took the stage last. He chose a good song -- "When the Stars Go Blue" by Tim McGraw. Martina told him to relax, so it's not surprising that he looks like a deer caught in the headlights in this photo I took early in the performance.

I don't think he was all that comfortable with the genre. He did okay, but it wasn't my favorite Blake performance. I think he's the most talented of the guys left, but Phil out-sang him tonight. I don't think he has to worry about going home and we all know that if this kid starts selling records, they won't be in the country genre.

Randy liked the performance -- "the right song" and "you know who you are." Paula said he had the whole package. Simon said it was okay, not a "jumping out of the chair" performance. I know what Simon means.

So, who's going home? Well, it should be Sanjaya and I predict he'll be out of there soon. I think Phil, Chris, and LaKisha should worry this week.

8 comments:

dla said...

Jackie,

Spot on recap, as always!! Thank you, as I had my TV muted off and on throughout the show while I was on the phone, so you filled in the blanks for me. Quite a show filled with ups and downs!!

One of the highlights of your recap for me was seeing those EYES ROLL again!! I have missed that since BB... ;)

Sanjaya is just a mess. He really, really needs to go away. This evening's performance was a DISASTER.

Stay safe, stay dry, and talk soon!

Deanna said...

Im going to have to defend Chris and anyone who is a Justin Timberlake fan. Sounding "nasily" is defintely a form of singing that both do quite well. I think Chris' performance wasn't his best but it was still good. I also liked Phil and Blake.Phil may have an odd look, but if Clay Aiken can make it in the spotlight with his off beat looks anyone can. Jordyn has a great voice, but I just dont feel entertained when she sings. I feel as if Im watching a High School Musical...ZZZZZZZ!BORING! I did like the way Melinda stepped it up this week and performed as well as she sung. Kudos to her!

My picks to win: Blake,Chris,Phil,Melinda... In that exact order...

Anonymous said...

I agree with dla...miss the eye rolls!! Another highlight is waiting to see how Jackie messes up Sanjaya's pic.

Jordin-Melinda-Blake-Phil-Kiki-Chris-Sanjaya would be my order for last night! Phil just needs hair, last week when he had the hat on he did not look scary. Wikipedia's bio of him shows he has tons of vocal training.

May SM go away...tonight and disappear forever.

Anonymous said...

I thought Phil was good and believe Randy is right, Phil should get into the country genre.But Sanjaya was back to his old awful self.. If Bonnie Raitt heard him sing that, she must have cringed. I wasn't crazy about Kakisha's version of Carrie Underwood's song either. I thought Chris actually sounded a little like Rascal Flatts lead singer who also sounds a little nasal to me. Melinda was better than last week and I really liked the song she did. Hope last night finally signals the end of her "aw shucks, me?" thing. That was starting to wear thin. I thought Blake was okay, but have to agree, country is probably not his thing. Jordin was absolutely fantastic. Even if she doesn't win AI, which I think she will, I'd make a safe bet that she will definitely be signing a record contract soon and I hope that Broken Wing is on it. I'd buy the CD just for that song alone. We have certainly not heard the last of her. What an amazing talent she is!!!!!!!.

dawn said...

I'm just glad the judges finally had enough balls to tell the truth for once. I think they were made to hold back on the Sanjaya comments. Maybe now we can have a real contest because if San wins it is the end of Idol

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stand Chris' performance last night. I though it was awful. I have to agree that Phil creeps me out and I too have to listen with my eyes clothes to not judge based on his creepiness. I am worried that Kiki will be in the bottom 3 tonight. I tried to call in and vote for her simply b/c there is no way she should go home before Sanjaya. I do feel like that first performance of hers was awesome and she hasn't performed to that standard since but still believe she is a better singer than the guys. Unfortuantely I could never get through. For me, any of the guys except Blake are dispensable tonight.

Lets hope though that this is Sanjaya's week though it doesn't seem to matter how bad he does.

Anonymous said...

I begged my son not to vote for Sanjaya tonite! I think that if he went out and actually sang instead of laughing while he's singing (since he doesn't take it serious anymore), maybe it would be tolerable. Love Melinda and Jordin! Kiki could have been better, but still like her. Did anyone else notice when Randy told Phil that maybe country is his genre and Phil said that it exactly what he wants to do? He never showed that side before. I think he looks odd b/c his eyes are too big for his face, he needs to grow his hair back. :) Orkmommy - I grew up in Wisconsin - read your blog! KC in DC

Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVED Jordin this week. I had tears and goosebumps when she sang. I cannot imagine how proud her parents must be when they hear that beautiful voice come out of their little girl!!

I was glad to see Melinda step out of her comfort zone. I was convinced she would do some old country song from the 50's and stick to her same old sound.

And...as if cell phones and watching Sanjana every week weren't annoying enough, now you can combine them with Sanjaya Ringtones. I hope everyone downloads theirs soon!! (Sorry Jackie, I must borrow these...@@)

Karen -- drop me a comment on my blog. I'd like to hear where you grew up!