Tuesday, April 03, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Top Nine Sing the Classics

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
Tony Bennett likes all of the contestants. Tony Bennett even admires Sanjaya.

Uh-oh.

While some of the contestants I perceive as the weaker amongst powerhouses performed well tonight, I feel this is still a powerhouse race. It's also a girl-fueled powerhouse race, I think. The girls out in the lead would be Melinda, Jordin, and LaKisha. I think the only guy at this point with any chance of getting near the finals at all would be Blake. That is if the voters actually stop voting for Sanjaya!
Dancing With the Judges

Blake Lewis chose "Mack the Knife," a song which really hit for Bobby Darin. For me, no one will ever be able to out-do his version. But I thought it was a good choice for Blake. Tony gave him some advice I don't think he heeded too much -- it's a song about killing and such. I found Blake's version interesting, but he seemed to come across a bit too soft.

The judges were wowed, though. Randy thinks he's funky jazzy cool. Paula called him a hepcat. Simon thought the song choice was good and that he sang well, but judged the band better than Blake. So did I. The band was hot!

Phil Stacey was up next with a Frank Sinatra hit, "Night and Day." It didn't move me. Phil doesn't move me even though Tony Bennett thinks his voice is so fantastic. It was a dull rendition and he ain't no young Sinatra. Randy thought there was no connection, no passion, and he came across as disconnected. Paula thought he was reminiscent of a young Frank Sinatra which got a look of shock from Simon. Simon called it "reminiscent of a funeral parlor, gloomy, dark, no life." Simon called it right.

Melinda Doolittle sang "I've Got Rhythm." Once again, I'm awed by her. An excellent performance and tremendous vocals. Randy said she could give the other contestants a lesson in singing. Paula said she was "master class" and flawless. Simon said the problem is they can't criticize her (because there's nothing to criticize). Of course, he's crestfallen at the missed opportunities.
Chris Richardson
Chris Richardson chose Duke Ellington's "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." I still think his voice is too nasal-sounding and he doesn't thrill me at all. But, that said, I think this may have been a personal best for his run on the show. I wasn't as impressed with his performance as the judges, but he did well for him.

Looking at this photo I took, he's reminding me of Lee Harvey Oswald. Oh, my. That's not a good thing. It was better when he reminded me of Justin Timberlake. Hopefully it's just the hat of the era and that particular facial expression. Randy thought it was his personal best of the season. Paula said he has artistic integrity. Simon thought it was very good and one of the strongest performances so far of the evening. Say what?

Then Jordin Sparks hit the stage. Like Melinda and LaKisha, she's one who wows me. At seventeen, she has the performance skills of someone who's been singing to audiences for years. She sang "On a Clear Day." She was once again, simply delightful. Randy thought she was hot. Paula called her a "magnet of joy" -- whatever that may mean.
Gina Glocksen
Gina Glocksen chose Charlie Chaplin's song, "Smile." I'm not a big Gina fan, but I thought she really looked pretty tonight and performed very well. I think the song choice showed she can sing songs besides hard rock. I don't think she's up there with my top three women, but I was pleasantly surprised by her this evening.

Randy thought she nicely-controlled her voice. Paula said "flawless" once again. Simon told her that Melinda and Jordin out-sang her. Well, they always will. They're better at singing and performing. But Gina did well tonight.

Sanjaya - Edited a Wee BitAnd, then there's Sanjaya Malakar. I'm just sort of speechless. Tony Bennett thinks he's interesting, terrific, dares to be different, and can sing. Um, okay. He's different and he's certainly a lot more brave each performance. He chose to sing "Cheek to Cheek." He played all the girls in the audience and whirled around Paula (who I noticed was shoved to dance by Simon and Randy).

Oh, I just had to edit his photo a smidgen. I don't know what came over me. Randy said he was an entertainer. Paula thought he was charming. Simon said he was going to go for a different tactic this week... "incredible!"

Haley Scarnato, dressed in an extremely revealing low-cut skin-tight green dress (can't wow them with the singing talent, go for the sex appeal), sang "Ain't Misbehavin'." Okay, she can go away. It was like she vamped the whole song. The judges commented on her looks rather than her singing. And, as we all know, this is a singing contest.

LaKisha Jones was the last performer, singing "Stormy Weather." With her voice and that particular song, she couldn't go wrong. And, once again, she didn't. I haven't cared too much for her song choices the past few weeks, so I totally understood when Simon said she was back on form. Randy loved it and said it was "the bomb." Paula said she looked gorgeous and Simon also said she was sassy and delivered a great performance. She did.

I think Haley and Phil are in deep doo-doo this week and one of them will go home. We all know Sanjaya should go, but probably won't. Who do you think will be voted out tomorrow night?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the indepth recap, Jackie. I agree with all you said. I don't think Lakisha did as well as usual, though.

Did you catch what Sanjaya said when Simon said "incredible!"? Something like "welcome to the Sanjaya universe." Yeah, I think this might be going to the little twerp's head. GO HOME.
I think if he doesn't go, Haley should.
~Susan from MA

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jackie, as always!

If we can just get rid of the "S" word and Haley, we have a competition. Granted, I think the top 4 should be / will be Kiki, Lindy - Doo, Jordin, and Blake, but at least the others can be entertaining when they take the stage, and are taking this competition seriously.

The little one needs a reality check, as people are laughing AT him vs. WITH him. It is just wrong that he is still there.

I enjoyed Tony Bennett, although I had a hard time listening to his overview of "S". He must be looking at him through a different lens than I am. :)

All in all, a pretty good show!

dla

Deanna said...

Im going to have to pick Blake, Chris and Gina as the most entertaining performers on the show. They may not have the best vocals, but they know who they are and they perform each and every week. It was nice to see Melinda and Lakisha perform a bit more this week, because the chops are there but their performances lack watchability...

Sanjaya (or as my teen calls him- Mangina) was painfully cheesy and very show boaty to me. It does make me a lil sad because he almost has been made the joke of the show and you can read it in Ryan & Simon's face and actions. Yet this kid thinks he is the star and it is a shame. I think Tony Bennett praised his singing because Tony has class and wasn't about to lower himself to the levels of Howard Stern and his sheep...

I think it is Haley or Phil gone this week, but we all know who it should be.....

Anonymous said...

Think the judges are using a different tactic with Sanjaya. Instead of blasting him..so along with it. Maybe voters will lose interest.

Phil needs a personality!!! I paid attention when he sang last night and it was not bad, but with no hair and those superdark eyebrows, that is what drew me attention to his face.

I think Haley will pack her green dress and vanish tonight, hope for another, but that will not happen.

Anonymous said...

I heard on the Today Show this morning that Sunjaya said to Simon, "Welcome to the universe of Sunjaya". (Good catch Susan). I was trying to figure out what he said but couldn't. He looked like a groom who's bride choose an ill-fitting white suit....with a black shirt....just awful.

Phil Stacey is great to pause on because his mouth is big, his ears still out while he's singing. My daughters and I like to tape and pause during the performances.

Thanks for the recap, Jackie.

tbc

Anonymous said...

Loved,loved JORDIN as usual!! She just makes me smile when she sings,she seems to be having the time of her life! I missed Blake,was late getting home(it was 80 here yesterday and just HAD to be out and about!!!).But I thought everybody (with one exception) did a creditable job last night. Some of the weaker singers are coming into their own and learning how to perform. I agree Haley's dress was the main attraction for her....I think she's dressing for Simon too much now...so I am going with the flow and thinking Haley and Phil tonight with Haley getting the ax.

You know,maybe Tony Bennett just had a "senior moment" when he was talking about S.....he looked ridiculous playing the sexy man all the while sounding like a little girl. And unlike William Hung,who got the joke that he was terrible,somebody is telling this kid a bunch of hooey that he's good and THAT'S why he's still here.........NOT!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was making dinner when Phil sang and he really does have a great voice when you can't see him! I almost didn't recognize it. I actually peeked around the corner and when i saw him and the voice sounded different...then i went back into the kitchen and enjoyed his vocals. I think he could have a career on radio, but don't make him tour :)

I love Kiki & Melinda, but once again the songs from this week were too much in their comfort zones. I'd hope they do a country week or a Queen week like they did last year and force those two out of their zone. I really want to see if they can sing ANYTHING. We know Jordin can do it...

Anonymous said...

orkmommy - I agree about them sounding different when you don't watch them. I often change my opinion when our local radio station replays parts of the performances the next morning. They sound soooo different on the radio, some better, some worse, than they seemed the night before. Simon says that a lot too, "when you hear that back, blah, blah, blah". I started to think about it another way too, Phil did sound pretty good but I was bored. I thought to myself, if I were flipping channels and didn't "know" these people would I stop to watch them? I would have flipped on by Phil. I've wanted to like him since his audition, missing his baby's birth and all, but it's just not happening.

Anonymous said...

I think Phil will go home tonight. We have a pool at work and we all individually guessed him to go home tonight. He's been in the bottom more often than Haley, and I heard on the radio that the army is turning their vote from Phil to Haley because Haley is like their "pin-up girl."

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Anon 2:06 - We all understand that nobody gets "voted off", it's just how we say it.

I checked out your DialIdol website and their predictions are only 87% accurate with this years predictions being completely off! Their numbers are based on the people who use the DialIdol software, which I'm positive isn't every person that votes.

This is a fun forum for us to discuss our favorite shows. If you want to bash people, go somewhere else please.

Anonymous said...

Anon 2:06

YOU are sad, really.

dla

PS: For all Jackie fans, let's just ignore Anon 2:06. We ALL know they are just trying to stir something up for their own perverse pleasure. Let's work together to keep this the FUN forum we have known and enjoyed for years! ;)

Jack said...

Just an observation -- I wish i would have started a running comment on the number of times Paula made some reference to the contestants' looks/outfit/hair,etc... along with the number of times she mentioned that this is a "Singing Competition." She really annoys the hell out of me....her comments carry no substance....certainly there could be a better female judge....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jackie S. said...

Comments made which insult either me or those who comment here will be deleted. Go elsewhere and troll.

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO Jackie you tell them...I missed the 206p comment but from reading others...glad I did!

Also I wonder if Phil would have more success if he had hair? I think that is what is throwing us off. As Orkmommy said he has a very good voice...but he is hard to watch sing.

Anonymous said...

Jordin was absolutely fantastic last night! What a set of lungs! And every note was perfect. She will be a star!!!

Anonymous said...

rick - my uncle and I have discussed how Paula doesn't seem to have an original thought of her own, what ever Randy says she reitterates. No one had ever used the phrase "in the pocket" that we recalled. Randy says that to Chris Sligh then Paula runs with it, repeating "in the pocket". That's just one example but more often than not it seems like she keys in on something Randy says then says the exact same thing. Now that we've noticed it and are conscious to it it drives us nuts!