Wednesday, April 18, 2007

'Survivor' Host Jeff Probst Guest Host Gig on 'Live with Regis and Kelly'

I rarely really watch Live with Regis and Kelly. Oh, nothing against the show; usually I'm not around all that much on weekdays to catch it.

But today I was channel-surfing and happened to see Jeff Probst from Survivor just as the show began. Yep, Mr. Dimples himself. Hoping that he would leak some kind of information about the show, I just had to watch.

Alas, not one mention of the current season. No yays to Yau-Man, nothing. Even though that was the case, I still found his appearance in the capacity of co-host interesting. From watching, I get the feeling that Jeff would like this sort of gig. I really can't see him as a late-night talk show host. But I could see him in a daytime slot if the market wasn't so glutted over the past few years. His interview skills aren't too shoddy and he came across as taking a genuine interest in the topics and guests at hand.

While he seems to appreciate his Survivor stint which has made him a household name, he hinted he's ready to settle down a bit. He indicated he'd eventually like a family. He's also still with Julie Berry from Survivor: Vanuatu, but not married yet. I think Mr. Dimples is definitely off the market despite the lack of the wedding ring.

I think his most interesting segment on the show had to do with his dog, Bear. He adopted Bear from a shelter and then found out that the dog had serious health issues. He could have returned the dog, but instead opted to have open heart surgery done. Of course, I'm sure he's in better financial position than your average dog owner, but it still took some love to go ahead with the decision to have the surgery. As a result, Bear is now a healthy-looking and beloved pet when her (I think he said it was a she) chances of living more than a few months more were dim indeed.

Good boy, Jeff! Have a treat!

Although I would have loved some sneaky inside information on the current season of Survivor, I'm glad I caught Jeff's appearance today. In eight days, Regis will be back from his own heart surgery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff has co-hosted a number of times on Live. He's great at that job! Nothing against Regis, but I hope Jeff takes over if/when Regis retires.

Sydney said...

You're funny! (good boy Jeff have a treat). I agree with you and cec -- I've seen him several times and would love to see him take over... the battle of the dimples with he and Kelly. I might even watch the show then!

So much more than just a host, he's shown at Tribal Council that he can stir the pot...also in calling out at the games/challenges.
Tho I'm sure producers assist more and more, sinceday 1 it's been clear many times that Jeff pays attention to group dynamics and inserts his own opinion in little ways, while maintaining the objective voice his role requires. He's totally qualified to host an interview show.

A few years ago, when Jeff's and Julie's relationship was new, he did something that seemed out of character -- he told a reporter for ET or E! that he had found a love like he'd never experienced before and this was the one... then he followed within a short time with a featured segment on him going to a dermatologist to have a skin-aging assessment... then the doc gave him a whole skin care regimine to follow, which Jeff told us all about... and I think he mentioned (if it wasn't obvious) that this was because he was dating someone much younger than he... AND THE VERY NEXT SURVIVOR, he appeared with a hat for the first time, which he has worn ever since... lol! Funny thing is, he waers a "fashion" cowboy hat that doesn't really shield the sides of this face...

Did anyone see that derm segment?

Haven't heard a word of his private life since, so I chalk it up to a laspe in the honeymoon phase AWW! You're right J-- they're still together. It has to be wearing to have your man gone twice a year for several months total, halfway across the world. I agree he loves the gig but proably wants to find something here so he can go forward with her and make a family. Lucky girl!!!

Arlene said...

Jeff Probst has been on Regis and Kelly co-hosting for 3 days this week. He did mention on Thursdays show that the tribal council was going to be exciting. And Jeff also mentoned that the next Survivor will be in China