Tuesday, May 08, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Four Sing to the Brothers Gibb

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
Don't get me wrong. I like the BeeGees. While I only have their pre-disco "Best of the BeeGees" ballad days vinyl in my music collection, their disco stuff was good. I was just a bit anti-disco at the time. The BeeGees knew what to do when and how to change their style to fit the current music scene. I admire them.

But I felt tonight's show was um... not good. The songs all seemed a bit off even though songs like "Stayin' Alive" can stand the test of time. They just couldn't stand the test of the American Idol final four contestants, I guess. I wasn't really moved by any of the performances tonight. However, if I had to name the winner of the night, I'd go for Jordin followed by Melinda.

Each contestant sang one song in rotation, then sang a second one in the same order. While I'm going to write about both songs for each contestant, keep in mind these weren't sang consecutively. The order was: Melinda Doolittle, Blake Lewis, LaKisha Jones, and Jordin Sparks. (Second verse, same as the first!)

Barry Gibb surely isn't the same guy I had a crush on decades ago. He talks like his jaws are wired shut, but can still hit that falsetto. He seemed to really work with the contestants, though. Not that all listened to his advice, of course.
Down to the Final Four - Melinda Doolittle
The first song Melinda Doolittle chose was "Love You Inside and Out." Barry noted it was a group song with falsetto, but thought she worked it out well. That she did. Technically, her vocals flawless. But for me, even though Melinda ranks best in my personal opinion, I wasn't excited.

Randy thought it was solid, good. Paula said her vocals were spot on, always are spot on. Simon wasn't all that impressed. He said it was "not incredible" and more of a backing singer's performance. Oy!

Her second song was "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart." I got a kick out of how she didn't want to sing the line "Can a loser ever win?" Barry Gibb thought it probably best to leave that line out, too. Again, I thought she did perfect on a technical level. I enjoyed it more than the first song, but it definitely wasn't my favorite Melinda Doolittle performance.

Randy called her the "resident pro" again and said it was much better than the first song. Paula said it was a beautiful vocal, but she needed to "surprise us." Simon said the second half of the song would get her in the semi-finals.
Down to the Final Four - Blake Lewis
For his first song, Blake Lewis chose "You Should Be Dancing." And, yes, he danced. Barry thought beat-boxing fit the song. But when he was on stage performing, I thought his beat-boxing detracted from it. Usually, with more contemporary songs, it adds. Not so much for this song. This may have been my least favorite Blake Lewis performance ever.

Randy said it was like going to a weird disco in a foreign country. Paula said it wasn't his best performance, but he's unique. Simon said it was terrible. I have to agree with Simon on this one.

His next song choice was a song with which I'm not familiar - "This Is Where I Came In." While, again, I didn't think the beat-boxing worked well with the song, I thought the performance and his actual singing of the song a world better than his first round.

Randy said it was better and there's no need to beat-box every song. Paula called him a "contemporary rebel." She also said it was on key and she enjoyed it. Simon called it a bizarre song choice and tuneless. I disagree with Simon. I heard a tune and thought the lyrics actually suited Blake well. I just don't think he delivered.
Down to the Final Four - LaKisha Jones
LaKisha Jones chose "Stayin' Alive" as her first song choice. Um, okay. Barry thought it would be a challenge for her, especially with the falsetto. I didn't think she did horribly, but it wasn't her proudest moment on the show. It's a fast song, and she just didn't keep up... or something.

Randy said the performance was weird, not working, and that she tried to change the song too much. Paula said she took the tempo down. Simon said, "No kiss tonight, baby." He said she was shouting and verging on "scary."

Her second song was more suited to her, I think. "Run to Me" is a ballad, not disco. Barry thought she'd have a challenge with changing the key of the song and that she would rise to the challenge. I thought she did well enough, but nothing earthshaking.

Randy thought it was better than her first song. Paula said she's still a champ. Simon said, "You and Blake are both vulnerable." I agree with Simon. I think we'll say goodbye to LaKisha this week.
Down to the Final Four - Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks blew Barry Gibb away as she was working on what would be her first song - "To Love Somebody." He said many have recorded the song, but her version is the best so far. Wow, powerful praise there, eh? I think she lived up to it while she sang. It was definitely the best performance of the night even though Melinda sang perfectly.

Randy deemed it "the best vocal of the night so far." Paula said she was beautiful and agreed with Randy. Simon said it was the best song choice and the best performance of the night. (Remember, she was the last one to sing the first round.)

The second song Jordin chose was "Woman in Love" popularized by Barbra Streisand. Barry Gibb was agog over Jordin. He thinks that she's "going there" and will one day be one of the great recording artists. I thought she did well, but I preferred her first song. Even so, this would be my second favorite performance of the night... both coming from Jordin. I have to admit that's not saying all that much as I think tonight's show was a bit of a dud.

Randy gave the performance two "check it outs" and said it wasn't her best, a bit pitchy. Paula seemed to agree, called her beautiful again and said she loves her anyway. Simon called the performance old-fashioned and "pageanty."

All in all, while I like the BeeGees singing their songs, American Idol shouldn't go there again. What did you think?

"It's only words
and words are all I have..." - "Words" by the BeeGees

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,I so agree w/you,Jackie.I think it is a disadvantage to have solo artists do "group" music. They never transfer real well to fit the lone singer. They are made to be sung by a group for a reason.

My pick tonight is Jordin,of course, and Melinda would be right behind. I think Blake and LaKisha will be bottom two with LaKisha going home. For myself,I didn't like either of Blake's songs,I hate when he picks such "obscure" songs and by the time he adds his "spin",it's sometimes almost unrecognizable. LaKisha just doesn't excite me any more. Tonight was the night to "bring it" and I thought only Jordin even came close.

Anonymous said...

I didn't care for this evening at all. Jordin I thought did the best. What is up with the beat-boxing? I understand that is Blake's "thing" but isn't this a singing competition? Save it for when he makes his own album. Not everyone cares for it. I think it ruined his songs tonight. I would really just like to hear him sing.

Sharon- I agree with you. I think LaKisha is going home tonight. I really enjoyed hearing her sing for the most part. I hope Jordin wins.

Anonymous said...

I think Blake was hyped from his great performance last week when he was praised for taking a risk and making the song contemporary. Unfortunately, the beat-boxing didn't have the same effect on 70s disco (not good, dawg, not good.) I hope he stays another week and gets a chance to sing straight. He has a strong voice; wish he would pick a good song and belt it out.

Anyone know what the theme is next week?

Anonymous said...

I don't remember idol having this many guest mentors last year. I think having them week after week takes a little away from getting to know each contestant. I like them don't get me wrong but this year has such a different vibe about it. It just feels a little off. Maybe I'm just a little over the hype of the show. I don't know. I feel a little let down this year.

pisgahscience said...

I agree. I think limiting yourself to one "performer" or group takes away from the process. It should have been 70's week. Then they could have picked from a BUNCH of songs and Gibb could have still worked with them and performed tomorrow.

Not a good week. The first few mentors were good, but they seem to be getting worse as the show goes on.

Anonymous said...

not the best show tonite.... although Melinda has a fantastic voice I am bored to death! I think that's why I like Blake so much but tonite not his best. I too think its Lakishas week to leave, she screams too much and everything sounds the same. So that leaves Jordin...guess it was her week, may even be her year.
Donna

Dan S said...

They all sucked the best have been eliminated already

nana said...

This is just a comment but I think the judges confuses the singers. One week they say may it there on; when they do that, they say they should have not changed the arrangement of the song. They should give them advice to when they feel it would be safe to make it there own.

I think to me all of them tonight was boring.

dla said...

B-O-R-I-N-G

I typically will not answer the phone during my personal "must see TV" viewing, but I didn't even care enough tonight. Took the phone call at 8:40pm, as it just did not matter. I completely agree that a 70's theme would have been better, and Mr. Gibb still could have been the mentor. Just didn't work for me tonight, dawg!

AnybodyButJanelle, I mean AnybodyButHillary, it is good to see you!! I giggled when I saw your handle... :)

I also agree that KiKi will be leaving tomorrow night. Hate to see her go on one hand, but I think her time has come.

Deanna said...

I personally think Blake SHOULD keep Beat-Boxing... It is who he is, it is his original way to perform and why should someone stray from that? If he puts out an album (and we all know he will and succeed), it will be a techno, beat-boxing hit. He does sing, but adds some great changes and beats and makes things his own... He is an original. People keep saying they are bored with this season, that is because every season we see the same Jordin's-Lakisha's and Melinda's. I was rooting for Taylor Hicks all last season because not only was he talented, but it was refreshing to see something new and not so cookie cutter. Like Randy said, he liked the way Jordin sounded like Mariah and Aretha,BORING!!!! Blake is the most original and entertaining person ever on the show... He IS the complete package. It is American Idol.... Not American Singer. Im sorry but the ones I idolize know how to be original and entertaining, they dont make a living mimicing other artists.

GO BLAKE! AND IF BY SOME CHANCE U GO HOME TOO SOON AT LEAST WE KNOW UR ALBUM WILL OUTSELL THE WANNA-BE MARIAHS-GLADYS-ARETHAS THAT ARE IN THE COMPETITION....

Anonymous said...

Deanna...hear hear!!!

I was going to comment b4 reading what was written with 3 words: boring boring boring. Then saw most thought the same. We are down to four "we should be going WOW". There was no wow and wonder why that is? I think we have 3 wanna-bes (the girls) and one semi-original. Besides maybe Blake this will be the year of the forgotten "Idol".

Anonymous said...

I don't have much more to add, but I thought Blake did too much beat boxing last night. His singing on the second song was really good and I wanted to hear more of it. Jordin sounded off key, but I think her voice was strained. I really like Melinda, Jordin, Lakisha and Blake in that order. But they will all succeed musicially. :)

Anonymous said...

Personally, I am tired of hearing Simon say Kiki shouts her songs... am I the only one that thinks Jordin shouts too? The second song of hers (Jordin) was nasally and whiny to boot.

Melinda is a class act. She can sing, she has stage presence and has consistently done well in all genres.

I just think everyone is pushing Jordin to win because she is young and perky. She has time in this business. Melinda is seasoned and has a hell of a voice! I honestly hope she wins it.

Of course, saying that, they will all do well post Idol, they are all talented singers.

Thanks for this blog Jackie! U are our Idol! :)
-Stacey

Anonymous said...

I thought the show was stilted and dated because they were restricted to Bee Gee's music...I agree...if you must make the singers fit into a "format" give them a bit more range...70s music would have been fine. It doesn't showcase everyone's voice to have to have to sing from the Barry Gibb songbook. That said, Jordin and Melinda are the two that should be safe tonight though Jordin was a little screechy on the second song. I like Blake but enough already with beat boxing every song. Randy was right. As for Kiki, the girl can sing but though repeatedly told not to shout she seems to equate good singing with shouting and it's not enjoyable to listen too...and because of her shouting she couldn't hit that last big note. I think she is history tonight.

Anonymous said...

I personally think Melinda was the best last night. I actually thought her first song "inside and out" was better than her second song. Okay, maybe that's because I have always loved that song, but I think she did it proud! Jordin was a distant second for me, all I remember is she sounded all right, but can't recall what she sang. LaKisha takes third place and Blake was clearly the worst of the night.

I agree with the earlier post that he got hyped up with all the praise from last week's performance and thought he could do it again. Unfortunately, what sounded brilliant last week, sounded weird and confusing this week.

With all that said, I think bottom two are LaKisha and Blake - with LaKisha going home. I think its a given that Blake will be in final two. He most likely inherited the lion share of Chris and Phil's votes. I really hope that Melinda is there with him, she deserves it.
Rbennie

Anonymous said...

I loved Jordin's version of To Love Somebody and I really think we will hear a lot more of her whether she wins AI or not. Lakisha was given good advice twice by Barry Gibb and both times she ignored it. I believe her doing it "her way" is what is going to send her home,deservedly so. Melinda, Blake and Jordin's second song(s) were very ho-hum. Hope next week brings some excitement back.

Anonymous said...

For all of you who think Idol has gotten boring and miss Sanjaya...
Apparently he is going to be on "I Love New York 2."

http://ilovenewyork2.com/people/Sanjaya

Anonymous said...

OMG...I hope nobody votes to get him on that show! Sanjaya & New York...what a joke! She'd eat him up and spit him out!

I love when Blake beat boxes, but last night just wasn't good. For all of those who says he does it too much, he went several weeks without any beat boxing and everyone was complaining. I think he should be true to himself, but only when it sounds good.

Jordan whined & screamed her second song, but I still lover her.

Bored with Melinda and Kiki. Either can go home as far as I'm concerned.