Tuesday, May 01, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Six Rock to Bon Jovi

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
Shot through heart and it's too late, Chris is gonna go away (go away)...

Yes, rockers and rockettes, it was Bon Jovi night on American Idol! I'm ready to put on my Slippery When Wet CD to annoy my neighbors. But, instead, I guess I'll write this entry as the thunder rumbles outside.

Jon Bon Jovi was his usually cool self. I think I'd like that guy no matter what he says or does. He also ages so well and remains eye candy despite the fact that he's no spring chicken anymore. He gave the contestants the main advice of "make the song your own." Well, one contestant went above and beyond in making it his own and I think that performance was the shining star of the whole night.
Phil Stacey
Phil Stacey was up first this week singing "Blaze of Glory." While it's not my favorite Bon Jovi song at all, it is one that's special to him. He's been singing it for fifteen years. He nailed it and got the show off to a good start. But I have to admit I wasn't all that enamored with it, possibly because of the song itself, possibly because watching Phil sing doesn't thrill me. Maybe I should have just listened.

Randy called it Phil's best performance ever except for country week. Paula thought it was the best opening all season for the show, although Simon balked at that. Simon said the performance was "okay" but had no authenticity. He said it was like a bad actor playing the role of a rock star. Simon also doesn't think it's enough for him to last next week. I agree a bit with Simon's call on this one.
Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks said her mother grew up on Bon Jovi... which makes me feel so old. Ack. I was already a full-fledged adult when they hit big. She chose a very tough song for a seventeen-year-old girl. She sang "Livin' on a Prayer" with really big hair this week. Hmmm... she didn't do horribly, I didn't think. But I think the performance was a bit of a letdown. She was so out of her genre and element. I think her past will keep her in the competition, though.

Randy did four "yo's" and three "check it outs." Sometimes that's a good thing, this time not so much. He called the performance "interesting" and said the verses were rough -- "not your best." Paula told her she went for it and she's hot. Simon started with "cue the boos." He said she looked like something out of the Addams Family, that she was shrieking and out of control, and terrible. Eep.
LaKisha Jones
LaKisha Jones sang "This Ain't a Love Song." Jon was excited about how she would do and thought it was her opportunity to shine. And, it was definitely the return of her powerhouse performance ways. That said, I think LaKisha is losing her magic for me. She runs hot and cold. While she did very well tonight, I wasn't all that moved.

Randy shouted that LaKisha's back and that she blew it out of the box. Paula gushed. Simon said he could actually kiss her for that. She rose to the challenge and nailed it. She did kiss Simon. @@ I certainly wasn't as excited as the judges were about the performance and I think her chances of remaining in the competition are iffy.
Blake Lewis
Oh, but then there was Blake Lewis. Jon worried that he was taking too big of a risk with a very popular song that folks don't like to see messed with... "You Give Love a Bad Name." Yes, he Blake-ized it, he beat-boxed it, he sported dark hair. And, he brought the house down with his version. I think it's the most original version of any song any season on the show. Yet he was true enough to the song enough to carry it off. This was my favorite performance of the season and makes me wish I had recorded the show so I could re-watch it. Amazing! What I also found interesting is how much more confidence he seems to emit when he's in his element doing his thing.

Randy gave two "check it outs" and gave it the award for the most original song version ever on the show (it was). Paula said it was amazing (it was). Simon said half will love it and half will hate it, but it was the right thing to do and will keep him in the competition.
Chris Richardson
Chris Richardson was up next singing "Wanted Dead or Alive." He mentioned Chris Daughtry doing the song last year. Heck, give me him again. Chris wasn't quite as nasally as he often is, but he still did those Timberlake-type dance moves like he's in a boy band or something. He didn't listen to Jon's advice to pick up on the blues note for the song and smiled a lot through the performance, hamming for the cameras. I think he bought his ticket home, six-string on his back.

Randy said he liked it, but didn't seem overly enthusiastic. Paula sidestepped saying it was such a great night. (Say what?) Simon said he did as much as he could with it and was iffy about his possibilities of staying on the show.
Melinda Doolittle
Melinda Doolittle, way out of her element, closed the show with "Have a Nice Day." That one was a bit of a surprise for me, but I can't connect Melinda with too many Bon Jovi songs. She nailed it. I'd still prefer to see Jon Bon Jovi performing the song, but she got into the spirit and she rocked the house. When she was working with Jon, he told her she just joined the band -- he's thrilled with her. He told her to treat the song like she was taking it to church, but I have to admit I didn't see that much of that. What I saw was a great performance and perfect vocals. I also got a kick out of her trying to give the index/pinkie fingers rock salute.

Randy thought it was a great performance. Paula called her a rock star and said the game was on. Simon likened her to a young Tina Turner and said she was vocally in a different league from the other contestants. Woo!

So, who will be going home? We lose two this week and the votes from last week and this week are added together. I think Chris is a definite goodbye. The other two I think are on thin ice are LaKisha and Phil. What do you think?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know I'm in the minority here but I didn't care for Blake's rendition of "Shot through the heart". JMO don't get mad. I don't care for his beat box stuff. It comes off to me like he does that because he can't carry the song. Had to get that off my chest.


Hey Jackie- not to get nit-picky but Chis Daughtry sang that song last year. He was awsome. :)

Jackie S. said...

Ack... you're right... it was Chris. I'll fix that. And, no fear. I don't tend to ever get mad with other folks taste in television or music.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I don't like calling you out because I certainly couldn't do what you do. Had it been anyone but Chris I wouldn't have said anything but he was my favorite last year. Love Carrie. She is awesome but I'm still a little bitter about it. I'll get over it someday. ;)

Deanna said...

I thought it was a great show tonight. I think Phil blew it out of the water and regardless of how he looks, the boy can blow... Chris sounded great as usual, but Blake blew me away...AWESOME! The boys know how to perform and the girls need to take lessons!

Melinda sounded good and rocked it well, Lakisha did well also, but Jordin was awful! Then the way she acted with the judges was obnoxious. To throw her hands in the air and say "ok, it was my turn to have a bad week" as if to say she has been great every other week is a bit bold for her. Her back talking and attempt to be mouthy was a childish move and was a terrible ploy for votes. UGG! Every one said, it wasn't your week Jordin, you were out of your element and singing boy rock songs, but Lakisha & Melinda handled it and did fine. I have never been impressed w/ Jordin and her yodeling voice. It is time for one of the three non performers to go home: Jordin,Lakisha & Melinda need to go or step up the performance...

**Stepping off my soap box...Thx!** ;)

Anonymous said...

Jackie Jordin said her mother raised her on Bon Jovi, not her mother was raised on Bon Jovi. SO do not feel so old.

Anonymous said...

delee said...
Sydney Sydney shame on you. Deadliest Catch is re-run so many times and I tape it at 1 am and then again watch it on future broadcasts. No need to miss AI.

5/02/2007 6:46 AM

Anonymous said...

What a good night on Idol!!! This should be the genre they sing every week. It was great to see Jon Bon and hear what a nice guy he is. He never seems to change and I hope he goes on rocking forever!

I thought they all did well,but Chris and Jordin were the weakest! I can't believe Jordin didn't change her song when she clearly was having such a problem with it. I enjoyed her song anyway,but the flaws were very obvious! BUT it would be a shame for her to get sent home for this when she HAS been so good every other week...IMHO!! And no matter what SIMON GROWL had to say,I thought she looked smokin'.just like a rocker chick!

I loved Phil,still can't get past his look though(I,too,watched him with my eyes closed),and thought Blake knocked it out of the park.Loved Melinda's song and her look again tonight. But I am hoping it's Lakeisha and Chris going home tonight!

I was flipping back and forth (gotta get that Tivo)and watching Gilmore Girls besides. I'm so afraid they may not come back next season and tonight was soooo good! Logan is going to ask Rory to marry him and Lorilei got drunk and sang karioke and sang "I will always Love You" to Luke! I was bawling by the end of it...lol!

Sydney said...

Funny Orkmommy and Delee --

My man and I both love Deadliest Catch, but while I'd be happy to tape it to watch later, he looks forward to seeing it all week (ditto Heroes) and just doesn't want to wait. And he isn't a fan of AI. (He does watch Bachlelor though, lol!)

I could have Tivo'd AI instead, but this year is the first I just got soured on it. Used to be a huge fan of the AI process, but I really have gotten sick of watching the judges... and how much of the stuff that goes on with weeks of auditions and such has grown. Once they got with the final 10 I tuned in to see, but it didn't grab me this year. So, I've just checked in periodically, caught a night here and there.

But don't get too worried about me with my sense of TV value -- inexplicably I still watched I Love New York, albeit mostly skimming on fast forward!

I know it really gets good when you're down to the final six or so and are invested in these people you've now come to know. So I was sorry to miss last night but it came alive for me on the blog!

Anonymous said...

I think we should all get together and get Jackie a TIVO gift certificate. She adds such joy and humor to our lives I think it is time to give back. What do you think?

dawn said...

Jackie,First I have to say when Blake was half way thru the song I called my kids to come watch this and I said this is the most original song ever on American Idol. My 16 year old is into making mixes and beats and what he pulled off was extremely difficult in such a short amount of time.I believe it should come down to him and Jordin. I love Melinda but shes 29 years old. There should be an age limit of 24, tops 25.
Now for Bon Jovi when his first video came on MTV we didn't think he could sing but it didn't matter he was just so good to look at. His singing has improved over the years. He's okay looking now but at one time he was god

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I think you really nailed it.

I love Jordin, but I agree that last night wasn't her best. Still, I'd hate to see her leave, and I don't think she will.

Blake's performance was one of the best I've ever seen on AI, and I've watched it all. He was incredible. I just loved it. I wiah I'd recorded it, too. I'd love to see it again.

Melinda was great. I was a little worried, but she handled herself well, as usual. She really COULD sing the phone book!

And Bon Jovi? Gorgeous. Always has been. Always will be.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy today...I hit record as soon as Blake started singing so I can rewatch it today. Yea!...I'm a grandma and that kid blows me away...so I think his music has broad appeal. Jordin picked the wrong song with expected results; but I phoned in for her until the cut off hoping she isn't sent home. It's time for Chris and Phil to go...they have had their 15 minutes. I'm not as thrilled with Kiki as I was...but I still hope she's not leaving. Maybe she'll pick up her game when only the good singers are left. If not, bye bye Kiki and hello to Jordin, Blake and Melinda for the final three.

meangirl8272 said...

Hey! I don't get to write in as much during the year since I am bombarded with school work but come summer, I'm ready for writing on Big Brother. Anyway, I felt that I had to write in for this one since it was Bon Jovi night. I have loved Bon Jovi since 1985 and the love will continue until my death. He has amazing vocals and gets better looking as he ages.

With that being said, I went into last night's program being a little jaded, knowing that not one of the top 6 would sing as well as Jon Bon Jovi. I was a little surprised by some. I think that I would enjoy Phil a little more if he did not come into the program thinking that he was Chris Daughtry. Chris Daughtry is only a step below JBJ (IMO) and Phil is at the bottom of the mountain. However, he did better than I had expected. I was disappointed in Jordin, I thought she completely turned "Livin on a Prayer" into "Livin in Hell". JBJ has a ton of ballads that she could have chosen and done well with but she instead chose to make a mockery of a fan favorite.

LaKeisha did surprisingly well and Chris Richardson was decent. I admit that I was nervous when Melinda announced that she was singing "Have a Nice Day" but the girl can sing. She has done well in every genre that they have thrown at her.

Finally Blake, my pick for the win. He will have a club hit with his rendition of "You Give Love a Bad Name". This boy is awesome. Favorite song of the night. Second favorite of Idol ever. (If anyone knows who Blake looks like, please let me know. He has looked familiar since day 1 and I still have not figured it out.)

~ Tara ~

Jackie S. said...

Margo - Thanks for the sentiment, but I fear TIVO would be a dangerous proposition for me -- I'd be watching shows 24 hours a day! I really enjoy the community that's developed here, so that's a reward in itself.

Tara - With his latest hair he's reminding me of Simon Le Bon in his Duran Duran days.

Anonymous said...

Blake is the man!!! I love him. I don't think Jordin and Melinda are all that original in their talent. They have great talent just lose points on originality. Go Blake!

Anonymous said...

fixing my link to my page...sorry

Anonymous said...

I agree that Jordin didn't do that well but she's been great up to this point and considering she's only 17, I think she's better than all the others. Again, my opinion, I simply like her.

I don't like Chris or Blake and I too can only listen to Phil. If I look at him I lose the song.

Melinda is always good, but she should be. If you can get a job as a back-up singer for a known singer, you have to be good.

And I think Kiki has lost her edge.

Did I miss anybody? Hope your favorite isn't sent home tonight. But hope mine isn't more. Smile!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Meb. Jordin had a bad night, but overall, I still think she's at the top. I would really love to see her win. Just heard on E! that Vegas says it's Chris and Lakisha going home tonight. Guess we'll see later on. As long as it's not Jordin!

Anonymous said...

Jackie...lookie what I found...

Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

Enjoy!!!

Jackie S. said...

Thanks, OrkMommy!

Anonymous said...

Orkmommy, Thank you. Could not wait for a commercial during LOST to watch. Amazing what you can find on a computer!

Anonymous said...

I'm actually a Lakisha nut, but I agree that she has dropped the ball the past few weeks. I was so happy to see her take a Bon Jovi song and sing it like she did the song from Dream Girls. I think Lakisha can go in any week from here on out and she will be just fine. Maybe even better than if she did win AI. She will get a deal out of this, either a record deal or a broadway deal. Her voice is awesome. There's someone out there ready to snatch her up. ~M