Tuesday, May 15, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Three Sing to Win

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
It's hard to believe the season is almost over, isn't it?

It's down to three contestants -- Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis, and Melinda Doolittle. Weeks ago it seemed like the finals would be all-female, but Blake's been hanging in. Will it be his last week?

Tonight the contestants took rounds, each singing a song. The songs were a judge's choice, the producers' choice, and the singer's own personal choice. They also visited their hometowns but, if memory serves, we saw a bit less of that this year than in previous ones. So, it was three contestants, three songs, even three phone numbers. However, there will only be one American Idol in the end. Who will it be?

Although they took turns singing their songs, I'm grouping them by singer here. Why? Um... well, because I can. Yeah, that's it! (Actually, it's easier for me, plus I think it focuses on each singer a bit better.)
Jordin Sparks in the Final Three
Jordin Sparks started each round. Her first song was the judge's choice and the judge who chose was Simon Cowell. He selected a song with which I'm not too familiar -- "Wishing on a Star" by Rose Royce. I thought she was in good voice and it was a fine performance, but the song itself didn't thrill me too much. It did show off the quality of her voice.

Randy was wowed. He said it's time to be in it to win it and that it was a very good vocal. Paula thought Simon chose a good song. Simon said she sang brilliantly although he didn't care for the arrangement. It wasn't the version he wanted.

For the producers' choice, Jordin sang "She Works Hard for the Money" by Donna Summer. Again, good. She rocked it, but I don't know... something seemed a bit off with her tonight. Her voice was in good form, but perhaps it was the song choice.

Randy thought it was nicely done. Paula said it was fantastic. Simon said it was a very good performance, then commented on the arrangement again.
Jordin and Jordin
For her own choice round, Jordin did something I thought was a bit odd. She chose a song she has already performed in the competition -- "I Who Have Nothing." I think, in comparison, she's upped her game. But I don't think repeating songs is a great idea in the final three. She sang it beautifully, mind you. I'm just wondering about the second time bit.

Randy thought it was her best performance of the night (it was). Paula thought it sat well with her voice. Simon said there was no disputing that she sang it very well, but it was old-fashioned for her age. It seems to me that he said the same thing the first time she sang it.
Final Three - Blake Lewis
Blake Lewis had the second slot in the rounds of three. In the judge's choice, Paula Abdul chose "Roxanne" by The Police. That, to me, is a good choice in one way - Blake can be a bit Sting-ish vocally. But, I also thought it was almost too safe, something I didn't hear from the judges. He did it very well, I thought. With Blake, I think a lot of what has got him to where he is, is that he's an entertainer and performer more than a vocalist. A Sting vocal, he can do just fine.

Randy thought it was a great performance, hot. Maybe that's hott with two t's. Paula said he did her proud. Simon said it was good, not great.

Blake the Fashion TrenderFor the producers' choice, Blake sang "This Love" by Maroon 5. Now, in my opinion, this is the kind of song Blake can shine while performing. I thought it much better than "Roxanne" not only in fitting his talents, but in the performance itself. And, to me, Blake is about performance.

Randy thought it was cool, the kind of song he should have on an album, nicely done. Paula said he was in his element. Simon preferred it over the first song, said it was good and "not copycat."

For his own song choice, Blake chose Robin Thicke's "When Will I Get You Alone?" I probably like Blake's performance better than Thicke's because I at least enjoy Blake while Thicke just does nothing for me.

Randy said it was alright. Paula thought it was a great performance and a great song. Simon really liked it. Simon also likes that Blake takes risks and is having fun.
Melinda Doolittle in the Final Three
Melinda Doolittle was the last to sing in each round. Randy Jackson chose her first song -- Whitney Houston's "I Believe In You and Me." Okay, I think I've mentioned before that I'm not into Whitney Houston, not at all. But Melinda carried this song off so that even I liked a Whitney song. Yikes! The judges always frown upon contestants trying Whitney Houston songs, but this seems to be a test of some sort.

Randy said it had a high level of difficulty, but she blew it out of the box. Paula thought it was amazing, fantastic, and the her best performance all season. Simon said it was her best performance and difficult. He declared her the winner of Round One - the judges' choice round.
Melinda Rocks It
Again, I think the producers made a perfect song choice -- "Nutbush City Limits" by Ike and Tina Turner. Wow! She rocked! I hope Tina was watching. (Now, there's a star they should have on the show. She can still kick it unlike many of the older-generation singers they use as mentors.) Not a note missed, perfect vocals.

Randy called it a great, stellar performance. Paula just sat there repeatedly babbling "we love you." Simon said he loves that side of her and another brilliant performance. But when asked who won the second round, he declared it a tie.

For her own song choice, Melinda chose "I'm a Woman." Again, perfect vocals and great stage presence. She also sang the song earlier in the season. What's up with that, girls? She was my favorite from the beginning and she remains my personal favorite. And, it's also most likely that she would be the only one whose music I would buy. Jordin maybe someday, but Melinda a definite.

Randy loved her range and said she could sing the phone book well. Paula said something off-kilter about how she's celebrating her dream. Simon said that if he could give an award into the finals for consistency each week, it would be hers.

At the end of the show Ryan did something I thought a bit unfair. He asked the judges who should be in the finals. Randy said it would be the two girls (which could backfire on him if Blake voters work extra hard to save him), Paula refused to say, and Simon wants "my girl Melinder."

Me? I want Melinda, too. And I don't put an "r" on the end of her name! But, in looking at this group, they each bring something a bit different to the table. I think all three will make it in the business no matter who is chosen to be the first place winner.

Your thoughts?

11 comments:

dla said...

Hi Jackie!

Thank you for the terrific recap, as always! I missed the show tonight, so I am living it through you.

I completely agree that Tina Turner would ROCK!!! She is just hot, and would be a terrific mentor. I guess they need to convince her to come from Switzerland next season to make an appearance! :)

Looking forward to see how this shakes out!

Anonymous said...

I don't particularly like it when they choose the songs for the contestants to sing. Jordin had never even heard the song Simon picked for her. And who cares if the song is old... if they're classics, people still love them.

As for Blake's second song, which Paula picked...Yuck! He did well with what he had to work with, but it was mostly singing the same word over and over with the backup giving it some meat.

Melinda is probably the best singer there, and she's definitely going to have a career anyway...so I hope Jordin wins!

meangirl8272 said...

I think all 3 did pretty well last night. I have reasoned out why all 3 deserve to win. Personally, I would like to see Blake win... his style is different, interesting, and is usually something I would listen to. In actuality, Melinda should win... she is the only one that has been consistent week after week, and the girl can sing. If I were the producer of AI, then I would want Jordin to win... she is young, sings well, and is probably the one most willing to change for them. At 17, she is the most moldable (lack of better word). She could be their next Kelly Clarkson... pop star and top 40 singer.

~ Tara ~

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie
Now that the regular season will be
over I think we are all going to go
thru withdrawel.
What do you think about giving us
a preview of the new shows?

Anonymous said...

I thought the Top 3 represented themselves well last night. I came in a few minutes late and missed Jordin's first song, but I caught a bit of it in the recap. She did a good job on the Donna Summer song, but I feel like we were saturated with Donna Summer songs this season and wish they would have chosen something else for her, preferably something more up to date.

Blake did a good job on "Roxanne", but come on that was way too easy a choice for him, he could pull that one off in his sleep. His second song "This Love" was well done also, but was a little too copycat for me. Strange that he didn't try to change it up a little bit. He sounded okay on the last song, but I just didn't like the song itself much.

On to Melinda, and yes I'll say it now, she's my favorite. Her first song - I'm always scared when they sing Whitney Houston - well, no need to worry, she pulled it off brilliantly. Her second song "Nutbush" was a great choice by the producers - I think they really wanted to see her let loose - and let loose she did. I think Tina herself would have applauded. Melinda's final song was "I'm a Woman", a song she sang early on in the competition. While I thought it was great the first time she sang, she managed to crank it up another couple of notches.

My predictions for the final two is Melinda and Jordin, but Blake could sneak in there. As long as Melinda makes it, I'll be a happy woman. People can make all the comments they want about her facial expressions, how she dresses or whatever, but even her harshest critics could never say she's wasn't the best singer in the competition.

Rbennie

Anonymous said...

A show full of Tina Turner. I would think I died and gone to heaven. I have missed her since she retired. But the girl deserved to enjoy life and spend her money. Also another good choice would be Shania Twain for C/W week.

I do not think any of the songs chosen last night did anything for me. I thought the whole show was YAWN. There was no excitement.

Any of the 3 could win and it is all up to the voters. I just hope they have some worthy songs for whoever to sing next week. I have never cared for the final show's songs. Another YAWN. I have never bought any of them, talk about safe songs and boring!!!

Jackie, U ROCK!!! Any buzz on Pirate Masters ????

dawn said...

Jackie,
I've thought this out and although I love Melinda she is to old to me to be an idol. I believe this show was really meant for someone like Jordin or BLake. Melinda outsings because she has 10 years on Jordin and has had a career on stage. Jordin could be Kelly like, Blake definetly is unique and will have a career either was

LYSS said...

Great recap..I miss'd the show lastnight, i did see blake's recap at the end of the show..from what i heard i liked his "roxanne", and he's my fave at this time ne way..

I know your a letterman fan, me not so much..but one of the local radio stations always plays the top 10 from the night before..and lastnights was "Hiro" from "Hero's" doing a "Hero themed" top 10, i thought that it was cute..so and thought i would share for those who dont' watch letterman eigher

One of us gets whacked by Tony Soprano

Show's slogan changed to "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World, Save 15% on Your Car Insurance by Switching to Geico"

Judges go nuts after the pulse-pounding rumba I do with Billy Ray Cyrus

We use our powers to lower gas prices, am I right, people?

Devote entire show to figuring out what the hell is happening on "Lost"

The telepathic cop wins a new car after reading Pat Sajak's mind on "Wheel Of Fortune"

New hero has the ability to reduce acid reflux

I beat the crap out of Spider-Man

The invisible man gets caught sneaking into dressing rooms at J.C. Penney

I use my teleporting powers to bust Paris Hilton out of the slammer

i thought they were cute and that everyone would get a kick out of them..

lyss

Deanna said...

I thought it was an okay show, but wasnt too happy with all the song choices. I think Jordin sounded good, but as usual she didn't move me with her style of singing. Melinda is a great singer, but Im not a Whitney Houston or Tina Turner fan, so her songs were Blah for me. And I felt like with the Tina Turner song she was trying to mimic Tina's moves and that was too copycat for me. Blake is my favorite and I have no doubts that his CD will one day be in my collection. I think he did great, but the songs were just okay choices. He performed though and when he came on the stage, it the was the only times in the night that my 1 & 3 yr olds started dancing like crazy, and were glued to the TV.

Also, what was with the repeats of songs for Melinda & Jordin? Playing it too safe and showing a sign of weakness to me. Last night was not a night for deja vu, they should have brought something new to the table.

GO BLAKE!!!!

Anonymous said...

Melinda is a great singer, but I'm not impressed with her stage presence. For some reason, I think she forces it. Jordin and Blake have great presence. Jordin is able to convey the message of a song, while Blake is fun to watch. I know Simon keeps saying this is a singing competition, but if I don't enjoy watching someone perform there's no point for me.

I don't think Blake should win because he can do the most with a career WITHOUT the Idol monkey on his back. He can sing, perform, produce, write, etc. Melinda and Jordin need Idol to help them out...

Anonymous said...

Blake rocks - I think it should be a Blake and Jordin final. The only one I would buy is Blake.