Tuesday, May 22, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Two - Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis Song Battle

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
So this is it. We're down to the wire on yet another year of American Idol, the show that has made FOX and Simon Cowell household words. Not always good household words, mind you.

Tonight was the singing competition of the two-night season finale... the showdown between Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis, the duel between singer and entertainer. Who will win? Hmmm...

The talented two performed live at the huge and probably daunting Kodak
Theater. Now, if it were me, I think I'd hide in some back room. It had to be a bit nerve-wracking for both of them.

Paula was there despite breaking her nose. She said she tripped over her dog, Tulip. When Ryan mentioned the dog, he thought it necessary to say, "the bitch is okay." Bad move, Seacrest. Not that I personally care, but lots of young children and their parents watch the show. What's going on in your head, Ryan? Wrong place and time for that comment!

Blake and Jordin each had to sing three songs tonight. One would be a personal favorite that they've done on the show before, the next was a song they're singing for the first time on the show, and the third was a song they'd both sing -- the winner of the American Idol songwriting competition.

In an odd quirk of fate or, maybe Seattle has talent to spare, both Jordin and
Blake initially auditioned in Seattle. And, not only that, the songwriting duo who won that competition also come out of Seattle. And, gee... isn't Sanjaya Malakar listed as coming from that area as of late? Heh.

Blake Lewis won the coin toss last week and politely offered Jordin the chance to
American Idol Finals - Blake Lewis sing first. She declined, so he was up to bat first with his favorite. His favorite was his most creative and popular song he did during the season -- "You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi. I still think what he did to the song is amazing and I've always been partial to the original. But if he just copied the original, it wouldn't be anything special. If anything, he did his Blake-ized version even better this time around.

Randy thought the beat-boxing in it was "hott" and the singing just alright. Paula thought Blake outdid himself. Simon said it was his best performance, but not necessarily the best singing. The crowd went wild.
American Idol Finals - Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks was up next with a song she hadn't sung on the show before -- "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera. I thought it a good song choice, very fitting for the show at hand. Her vocals sounded fine to me, she looked very pretty and she played well to the cameras and the crowd.

Randy thought her voice was stellar and that "this is an interesting night, show." Paula repeated "stellar" and said it was shaping up to be one of the best finales ever on the show. Simon liked that she chose a "younger song," but said she was a bit "shrieky" in the middle. He said that the first round belonged to Blake. I agree, but mainly because Blake's performance is so, so different and creative.

Blake's next song was his never-performed on the show before one. He chose "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5. Eh, it was okay from them and it's okay from Blake, I guess. That particular song is one I can see as elevator music or on an easy listening station. For me, it's just not exciting no matter who sings it. I thought he did well enough with it, but it was no "Shot Through the Heart" and it didn't show his creative performance skills.

Randy thought it was a nice vocal, very nice. Paula thought he eased into the song well and sounded great. Simon said it was good, safe, but not as good as his first song - no impact.

Then it was Jordin's turn to sing her favorite song that she's already performed on the show. She chose "On Broken Wing" by Martina McBride, a solid choice. She sang it very well and really shines with a ballad like this.

Randy yo-yo'd and thinks she's the most talented 17-year-old he's ever seen. He said her performance was flawless, better than the original. Paula said she was soaring with a great vocal, a great voice. Simon said, "Now, that was good."

The last song each sang was the songwriting contest winner, "This Is My Now" by Scott Krippayne and Jeff Peabody out of Seattle. Well, I think the song is commercial enough and very American Idol-ish. So, they did their part well. But, had I heard the song before it was sung by Blake and Jordin, I could have guessed which contestant could shine with it. It, to me, was a clear-cut Jordin Sparks kind of song.
American Idol Finals - Blake Lewis Fashionplate
Blake was first up with it. He did okay, but he looked a bit jumpy in the middle of it like he wanted to bust out and beatbox, but was muzzled. He basically sang it well enough, but not what I'd call a stellar performance. I love the way Blake dresses, though. Argyle is the new black, it seems.

Randy said it wasn't great, but it was alright. Paula mentioned it was out of his genre, but nice. Simon thought it was a bit off, not a bad song but not Blake's type of song. He said he hoped the audience would vote on the first two songs he performed.
American Idol Finals - Jordin Sings It
Then came Jordin with the same song. Oh my... she brought the house down. Perfect vocals, brimming with emotion down to a tear at the end as she became overwhelmed. Excellent! But, as I said before, it's as if the song was made for her. I don't think I expected any less after watching Blake sing it.

Randy said she was clearly the best singer and that she was "on fire." Paula said she was proud of Jordin, Jordin's parents were so proud and happy and that she's an angel. Simon said last week he didn't think Jordin was good enough to be in the finals. "I was wrong and I apologize. You wiped the floor with Blake on that song."

So, who will win? Although I really enjoy Blake's style and his version of "You Give Love a Bad Name," I think it's going to go to Jordin. Me? I want to see what Melinda Doolittle releases.
American Idol Finals - Chris Daughtry Performs
Then it was a Daughtry (Chris Daughtry from last season and his band) performance of "Home." Okay, Phil Stacey. Look at Chris Daughtry's head. He can do the bald thing. He has a nicely-shaped head with a minimum of lumps and ears which don't stick out. He has a bit of a tan. You cannot carry off that look. Stop it. A very nice performance indeed, Mr. Daughtry.

Tomorrow night is the two-hour finale which conflicts with the two-hour finale of Lost. I'll be live-blogging the events of the live American Idol finale tomorrow night as it airs here on the East Coast, then posting on the Lost finale early Thursday evening.

So, if you wish to talk about the show as it airs, join me in the comments here. Or, if you're West Coast and just can't wait, check for the happenings and the winner right here!

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

................................I really think Jordin's going to win and that last song will be a hit for her. Iagree with Jackie, other than Blake's first song tonight, he just didn't shine.

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed every minute of Jordin tonight! This just showed me what a weak singer Blake is with out his "gimmick" although I do agree,he can entertain. But one out of three should not a winner make.

I don't know what was going on with the pnoes,but by 9:30,I could vote as often as I wanted for Jordin with no problem. Then I got worried she wan't getting the votes,but I got through on Blake's number just as easy,but I still voted for Jordin,like 50+ times.

I hope she wins and that a lot of the talent from this season does well.Well,except for Haley,Antonella and Sanjaya!LOL

Anonymous said...

Jackie......I totally agree that Ryan was waaayyy out of line with that dog reference tonight! There was just no need under the sun for him to go out of his way to say that! After all the hype about what a family show it is and all the kids in the audience and at home......shame on you,Seacrest. I hope ABC gives him some flack over it!

Anonymous said...

It was a great evening for Jordin. I tried to vote and I think I got maybe 8 votes in. I just don't have the patience and my finger hurts :(. It was very nice to see Chris and his new band. He sure has come far. Congrats to him.

Anonymous said...

That new song was awful. I just don't understand why they have to sing such schlock.

I think Jordin will win, and that's fine with me. I'd rather not have Blake be restricted by the AI people. He'll do fine on his own.

Joanie said...

Tony,

I thought it was just me, I too thought Chris's eyebrows look a little creepy.

jk in los angeles

Anonymous said...

why didn't they just give jordin the crown tonite?...i am a fan of both blake & jordin & was thrilled that they were the final 2, BUT to give them both that song to sing, when clearly it was a jordin song, was just not right...of course she was going to shine...blake didn't have a chance unless he blake-ized it, just as jordin would not have shined if say, it was a contemporary song...and for the judges to keep reminding us that it was a singing competition, as if to say not a performance one, was kind of telling people who to vote for...whether blake wins or not, he will be an incedible contributor to the music industry...he is a phenomenal musician...i love jordin too, i just felt they were working against blake...we will be seeing plenty of him...

Anonymous said...

yes, that song did suck & it was clearly made for jordin...the only guy idol that would've been able to pull that song off is clay...they probably just picked it cuz the writers are from seattle...

Anonymous said...

Actually, if you go back and listen to how the song was first submitted, it was sung by a male, so it seems that Jordin really didn't have all that much of an advantage over Blake, she just knew how to make it her own.
Link:
http://www.americanidol.com/songwriter/index.xhtml

Deanna said...

The song they had to sing was awful. It doesn't matter if a man or woman sang it in the original, it was a song that was taylor made for Jordin's type of voice. Blake was cornered on that one, when he wasn't able to take a song and make it his own. And who in the world voted on that awful song? Whoever wins is going to have to release that crap? How awful for them! Every year, their final songs are pure cheese. I felt that neither connected to the song, because both knew it was junk. Jordin added her high note to the end(as she does w/ every song) and thinks she has made it her own....zzzzzzzz Boring! Blake tried and couldnt even dance to the stinker...

If the judges want this to be a pure "singing" competition, where the person stands there and sings, then rename the show "American Singer", but for me, an Idol is someone who is the whole package... Talented,Unique,Stage presense,Artistic,Performer,Looks, Style and of course can sing. That is who should win.... Blake has it all folks! Jordin may have a great voice, but she is boring, unoriginal (can I hear a "Beyonce?" anyone) and she doesnt connect with the songs. I can only hope that America realizes the real talent w/ the complete package and votes 4 Blake to take the "Cake"!!!!!

Anonymous said...

As I wrote days ago....the song they both have to sing is always horrible and seems to favor one or the other. Sad that a "singing" comps final song can not be song by both equally. That is why there is more than one singer/song on the radio. Major duh!! Does that make sense? Am I correct that a few seasons had different final songs?

IMAO I bet a lot of parents were explaining that the B word is a female dog. Well, it is Johnny!!!! Mom runs and gets the dictionary! I have felt that Ryan is getting too big for his britches {(get it)@@ } this season, have not enjoyed him as I have other seasons.

Anonymous said...

i agree with everyone who says that blake is an entertainer, he'll do good in concerts, but his voice just isn't good enough for the radio - jordin can sing, & when we buy a cd, or listen to a song on the radio, all we know are the voices, and blake just doesn't have that

i voted on the songwriting competition, & i picked "this is my now" second - i didn't really like the song, it's so pageantry, and dull, but you can imagine what the rest of the songs were like if this one won !!!

barb

Anonymous said...

I agree that the song wasn't good for Blake, but Blake is the inferior singer here and to say that Jordin doesn't connect with the songs she sings is rediculous. She is very talented and with more experience under her belt, she will go far. Blake had one great cover song and one song does not mean he deserves to win.

Anonymous said...

I really like both Blake and Jordin and am sure Jordin has it in the bag given her performance on the final song. I agree it really wasn't fair to Blake to make him sing a song that plays to her strength (was he not allowed to change it?). I think it's best if Jordan wins - she is still developing her style and will do well with the AI control and management. Blake will be able to chart his own career without the interference and he will be great.
RealityFan

Anonymous said...

Why didn't they give them different songs like they did last year - Taylor and Katherine had different songs.

Anonymous said...

Is there honestly any need to watch tonight? The outcome is so obvious. What a blah season. I'm not sure if I'll watch again. Also, how many Idol fans are Lost fans as well? Any stress on what to watch tonight?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'll definitely be watching Lost live and recording Idol. I'll be able to watch the 2 hour Idol finale in 15 or 20 minutes once Lost is over. And that's assuming they have them singing with celebs (that I'd want to see) like last year. If it's a lot of fluff I can watch it in less than 5 minutes. I watched the DWTS finale last night in about 15 minutes - the 3 dances, comments, and annoucement of the winner. Why do they drag this crap out for 2 hours, it can be done in a 30 minutes show, 60 tops.

Anonymous said...

But if you skip the fluff you'll miss SANJAYA!!!

Anonymous said...

That song sucked! There's no two ways about it. My mom listened to all of them and said the one they picked was one of the best...I'd hate to hear what the other ones sounded like.

The only Idol winner to have a hit with the laimo "winner song" was Kelly in Season 1. The rest of the winners first singles dropped off the map quickly. Probably because they chose the stupidest songs. What's up with that?

Ok...now that I've told you how I really feel...

GO JORDIN!!

Anonymous said...

Deanna - 3:04 a.m.

Yes, we are all fully aware that you are a Blake fan all the way, but is it necessary to be so derogatory about Jordin to emphasize your preferences? Jordin is a beautiful, young girl with a beautiful voice. Yes, she needs to work on her stage presence, but things like that can be taken care of by a good choreographer. Comparing Jordin to Beyonce is ridiculous. Beyonce is the ultimate performer and practically sets the stage on fire. Of course Jordin is no where near that, but then again neither is Blake.

As far as Blake being so so original, take a second and picture Blake performing and adding in his signature beatboxing - you got that picture? Okay, now picture Blake being a black guy - how original is he now?

Anonymous said...

I have only bought one AI contestant's CD and that was C Aiken's Xmas CD and I was sorry I wasted my $$$ on that. My daughter has Chris D's cd and loves it. SO AI is not making $$ off of me!!!

To the ones who say Blake is a performer, well that is what is needed to sell CD's. Going on tour sells them, not the radio! Pause and think about Brittney and others, would their songs sell if not for peeps seeing them "LIVE" or on TV. I doubt it. Beyonce, so what, not a fan, but without the amount of skin shown what would she sell? You can not see that on an I-Pod, radio or MTV. It is not about the singing anymore, but the sex appeal. Show some boob, shake some booty and sell-sell-sell. Think about it...did the Beatles,Frank Sinatra or others shake their booty to sell songs. I think not. OK enough soap-box. Trust me I will be watching LOST and flip hopefully the second the winner is announced and go big deal.

Anonymous said...

OOPS I meant MTV shows the skin...IMAO

Deanna said...

Anon-10:49- How am I being derogatory by saying Jordin bores me and is unorginal? And how can a 17yr old honestly connect w/ all the songs of love and lost she sings? Apparantly my good point about Blake struck a nerve. I think Jordin has a good voice, but Ive heard that style of voice so many times and I really don't care to hear it anymore. Im not saying Jordin is anywhere near Beyonce's level, but the girl is trying to be and I thought this competition was about finding someone new, fresh and original.

The "Black" rappers you are referring to, rap their words to the sound of beats. Blake beatsboxs his own sound, sings(not raps) his songs. His sound is more techno,new wave w/ a touch of Emo. If your going to try to compare him to someone else, at least do it correctly.

I dont care to get nasty, but to call me out as being "derogatory" towards Jordin by calling her boring and unoriginal,is uncalled for. I didnt pick on her looks or make fun of her, but simply stated what I thought of her singing. If you cant handle reading others who write of how they like Blake, then maybe you shouldnt read anyone elses comments. Each week I give my opionion of all the singers and their "singing and talent", but your the first who has got yourself in a twist over it. I read others views on Jordin and dont agree w/ how they say Blake cant hold a tune or is only a performer, but I understand that is only their opionion and dont fault them for GIVING it. Maybe you need to realize this.

Each week I read comments on Phils and Melindas looks and never did I comment on that, but I commented on how great their voices and talents were. So next time, pick on someone else who is being derogatory.

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

I agee....I'm anxiously awaiting Melinda's CD.....I have never bought other AI music but I DEFINITELY will buy Melinda's....

~SMH

Anonymous said...

I don't think people should be whinning about the last song choice. Every year the last song is cheesy. To cry foul because your favorite didn't sing it well is kinda "sour grapes" don't ya think?

Anonymous said...

Do you think Blake was too nice to let Jordin pick the order after he won the coin toss? Since Jordin got the closing number she probably stuck in more people's heads than Blake since he sang his good songs earlier.

Did anyone else think Paula's face looked odd? I know she broke her nose but when I break things they swell and bruise. Her face looked rather taunt (too much botox perhaps?).

I'm glad Idol is almost over so BB can start soon!

Anonymous said...

Deanna agree to the n'th..she know not what they sing'th about. We are all entitled to our opinion and not have it badgered. I liked Phil but he was gone. Kiki, Melinda and Jordin were same old in my mind. So knock me, I could care less. It is MY OPINION. This is why Jackie has the blog, for us to voice our likes and not have the other blogger's knock us because others do not agree. After many reality shows Jackie covers, we are allowed to say who we like or dislike and accept the opposing view. If some do not like it find another blog. OK off soap box again!!!! @@

Anonymous said...

Deanna,you have a right to your opinion just the same as any of us,but it's back to that same old problem we have in here,somebody not upfront enough to leave their name and hide behind the "anon" label. If you are a person of your convictions,then put your name on your posts and let EVERYBODY have their say without beating them down or GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! We don't hold with those things here or EVER take kindly to attacking our girl,Jackie! I will defend your right to your opinion ALWAYS,Deanna!Even if you may be totally off base......just kidding!! :) I think either of these two could win and it would not upset my world in the least.

For me,I will watch Lost and catch the last 2 minutes to hear the winner. It bugs me that they do that and devote so little time to the winner(or loser). What a lousy paroff after weeks of watching...JMO!

Jackie S. said...

Hey, hey! What's going on down here? Look, folks... each person is entitled to his or her own opinions about the contestants - music tastes are a bit subjective, after all.

In the end, both Jordin and Blake will most likely have lucrative careers in their chosen field. Both are talented, although their talents differ. Each attracts their own audience.

To get where they both are in the show is an accomplishment on its own. I'm happy for both of them - they seem like good "kids."

Me? I still say that if Melinda Doolittle releases a CD of old blues or R&B classics, I'm so there. But, the fact that she didn't win the title doesn't really affect my life, per se. The show got her out in the public eye, just as it has Jordin and Blake.

No need for contempt on anyone's part, right?

Anonymous said...

I may be in the minority but I liked the last song. Yes it was more geared toward Jordin's singing style, but I think the Idol winner should be able to perform a variety of genres well. My favorite was I Believe that Tamyra Gray wrote for season 3.

Kim

Anonymous said...

How would Jordin have done if the last song had been a "Blake" song? Also, why couldn't Blake techno up the last one?

Anonymous said...

After listening to the original song, IMO, Blake should have done better if he had had the voice.
There were much better songs in the finals IMO. I thought they were going to do it this way to get away from the sappy songs, but, o well.
If yall remember, AI has done this every year except when it was Clay and Ruben. They wanted Ruben to win... has been made fact... and knew Clay would outsing him no matter what.
The 2 songs that Kelly and Justin had to sing were Kelly songs. Justin struggled thru them both.
And I really hope America starts reading and learning that America has only picked 2 of the winners. Not sure which two, but I'd say for sure Kelly and then maybe Carrie?

Deanna said...

Sorry if I upset some people on here, but I was upset by the fact that I was called out by someone who hid behind their "Anon" and attacked me for my views. Ive never made statements about anyone in any sort of derogatory manner, but merely gave my opionion of the singers and their performances. It is no secret that I think Blake is a great entertainer and that I find myself bored when Jordin sings. We all give our opionions on this blog and I enjoy reading others, giving my own and reading Jackies recaps as well as views. It is a fun forum for us all to vent our thoughts. This "Anon" only attacked me in particular because they did not like that I liked Blake. Many people have expressed their views of Blake and have said he cant sing, he is only a guy w/ a "gimmick", but I have never felt the need to attack them because their views were not the same as mine. I actually enjoy reading what others think. This particular person attacked me for my views and the did it hiding and not at least giving a name.

Once again, I apologize if I upset anyone w/ my retaliation response back to this person. It was only meant for the "anon" who wrote it.

As for the ones who wrote to me, Thanks 4 ur support. :)