Wednesday, May 23, 2007

'American Idol 6' Season Finale - Live-Blogged From the East Coast

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol

Welcome, American Idol fans! The show is starting here on the East Coast. This post will be updated as events occur on the show (or reactions to events occur in my mind). I'll constantly update it, so keep refreshing.

Right now Blake and Jordin are singing "I Saw Her Standing There."

Well, that was quick. Now it's to Gwen Stefani singing her newest song. Um, what is it? I don't know. Ryan blurted it too quickly for me to catch. Anyone out there hear the song title?

Into commercial break now. Ryan promises some surprises from the Top 12 when the show returns. Oh, gee, did Phil grow hair? Did Chris Sligh shave his head? Did Antonella Barba put on a turtleneck? I guess we'll see soon.

No surprises, just Kelly Clarkson singing her new single "Never Again." Jerry Springer is in the audience, ew.

The Golden Idols:
Truly Performed - Best Presentation: The Panther Guy Eccentric, Isadora Furman (orgasm woman), Margaret Fowler (older duck-costumed woman). Winner is Margaret Fowler. So, we get to see her once again. Joy, joy.

The Top Six guys, all suited-up in white, are singing, then comes the real deal... Smokey Robinson. Ah, now "Tears of a Clown" from the Six and Smokey. Very Pipsesque. Sanjaya and Chris R. seemed a bit off-key to me, but it could just be me.

More commercials, more hype for The Band Show.

Blake Lewis and Doug E Fresh are beat-boxing.

More Golden Idols
Most Original Vocal - Nicholas Ziztman (sp) (the geek - I'll have to link my old photos later), Sandy Chavez (the vocal coach one), Cholandric (sp) Stallworth? Winner is Cholandric Stallworth... which I'm surely spelling wrong.

The Top Six Girls are singing "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" - some voices are so perfect for that one. And, speaking of Pips earlier, here's Gladys Knight! Yay, they're doing "Midnight Train to Georgia" with the girls being the Pipettes! Great performance, so much better than the guys! Gladys is one of the few who really seem to hold up to the test of time. (Unlike :::coughDiana Rosscough:::)

Tony Bennett is now on stage singing "For Once in My Life." They focused on Simon in the beginning. Perhaps because Tony was quoted as saying Simon was too mean and the show was too rough on the contestants? I'd rather Gladys come back.

Golden Idol Awards
Best Buddies - Jonathan and Kevin (Bushbaby comment), Amanda and Antonella (Jersey Girls), Simon and Ryan. Winner is Jonathan and Kevin. The show has sponsored a bushbaby in a Milwaukee Zoo for Kevin and named it Simon.

Melinda Doolittle is singing now with a couple I missed because I was typing about bushbabies. "Hold on the Line" I think is the name of the song. I wish she was singing alone, though.

Ford Music video - "Time After Time." Both Blake and Jordin just got keys to new Ford Mustangs.

Carrie Underwood is performing now... much better than the Kelly Clarkson performance. The song is "I'll Stand By You." Very nicely done.

Clive Davis is up now. No, he's not singing. This year's report card - Chris Daughtry's success -- he's the biggest selling artist of the year. Sales are over 2 and a half million albums. KInd words for Simon, Paula, Randy, songwriters... Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, producers, arrangers... 6 million albums sold, Carrie Underwood gets another award.

The group they invited back representing Idol Gives Back is fitting - The African Childrens Choir. These kids are great! And, I bet it's a thrill for them to be on the show.

Aha, a Sanjaya segment... great moments in history! He's performing live with Joe Perry from... er, Aerosmith? Isn't that supposed to be Journey? Earlier it was released that he'd be on, but it's definitely Aerosmith. He's singing "You Really Got Me" in true Sanjaya fashion.

Green Day is up now singing John Lennon's "Working Class Hero." This is for the Darfur cause from the Instant Karma album.

Taylor Hicks is performing. "Heaven Knows" may be the name of the song, I'm not sure. It has a guitar riff used in some song from the sixties. Break out the harmonica.

Jordin Sparks is singing with Reuben Studdard - "You're All I Need To Get By." It started a bit off with muffled background singers here or something. Reuben has definitely taken off a lot of weight although he's still big. And, next to him, Jordin doesn't look so tall.

Bette Midler is on now. I'm wondering if the younger crowd who watches the show even know half of the guests? Well, Green Day, they should know.

Juliet just kissed Jack! Oh, wait... that's on the set in the other room where I'm recording the Lost finale (blog review/recap will be posted on that tomorrow evening).

American Idol tribute to Sgt. Pepper, now much more than 20 years ago...! Joe Perry is playing guitar as Kat McPhee sings, now Taylor Hicks is singing "I Read the News Today." It's nothing like the Beatles, for sure. Carrie Underwood singing "She's Leaving Home" backed up by the Top Twelve. Reuben Studdard is singing "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds." I wonder if anyone will sing my favorite from that album... "Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite." Instead they're all singing "With a Little Help From My Friends." Rats, it ended with no nod to Mr. Kite. What kind of tribute is that, I ask?

Yes, the show must be going over. No winning announcement yet and it's 10 PM here on the East Coast.

Finally... the winner of American Idol 6 is...after the break.

609 million votes over the season, 74 million last night...

The winner is... JORDIN SPARKS.

43 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly Clarkson was just horrible horrible horrible.

Anonymous said...

You are so GREAT thank you for posting these updates !!!
I am stuck at work on the East Coast so this is so AMAZING to see live updates from the East Coast broadcast which no one here yet knows about.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for this site !!
-- Chris T.
Sacramento, California

Anonymous said...

I meant to say I am I am stuck at work on the WEST Coast... (but you probably figured that out :)

Jackie S. said...

delee- Her thighs are not made for that mini-skirt!

Chris - Welcome aboard! :-)

Anonymous said...

IMAO that too Jackie!!!! I remember the judges telling Kiki how she was screaming instead of singing. KC did that most of the song. Will be switching to LOST at 9p.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose there is any way for me to get a live streaming video feed of the show is there?
Either way it is so great I will know the results 3 hours before anyone else in my network (they are not too internet savvy).

Anonymous said...

How is Sanjaya's hair done today (or should I Say, this minute)?
GO Jordin!

Jackie S. said...

Chris - Don't have a clue how you'd get a feed. I'm not even taking photos for the entry as I don't have the time to upload, edit and post them. Sanjaya is sporting curly medium long nothing wacky hair tonight.

Anonymous said...

No worries.. Thanks for taking the time to answer. This is really a great site. Hard to believe I will know the results at around 7pm tonight here in California before the show even starts out here... Hmmm... Maybe I should make some bets at 7:05pm... (just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

I love Carrie.....but..she sounded little off in a couple of spots...
~SMH

Sydney said...

Boy they are certainly using this time to tout all past idols... but as it should be. I'd rather see this than all the shows where their filler are those auditions!

Sydney said...

Jackie -- just got a minute to read your whole report thus far. Girl, you CRACK ME UP. I have to say, you really are at your best with live blogging. Your comments are :::coughpircelesscough::)!

Sydney said...

PS: At 9 central, I'm catching Angelina and Brad interviewed by Ann Curry on Dateline.... in case anyone didn't know it was on and cares...

Anonymous said...

My TiVo won't be lonely tonight !

Anonymous said...

Steve Perry is from Journey... Joe Perry is Aerosmith. Sanjaya is a freakin joke!!

Jackie S. said...

Anon 9:21 - Earlier today Celebrity Spider announced it would be Steve Perry from Journey. So, it surprised me that it was Joe Perry from Aerosmith.

Sydney said...

a bit of trivia... From Justin to Kelly happens to be playing on VH-1.

Anonymous said...

jackie you are the biggest tease!i am on the west coast reading your idol updates so i can be free to watch my lost!!juliet kissing jack???!!!!your killin me here!!!

Anonymous said...

thank god! lol thanks jackie..!!
debbie in sunny hot calif!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Jordin, she is talented. I wish her lots of luck. I will still be buying Blake's CD. Such is life.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jordin. TY Jackie for your coverage. Loved your interjection of LOST in AI blog.

LOST has me gripping my chair!!!

Anonymous said...

How bad was Kelly! Yikes,she even looked like she could kick your face in!

Carrie was a little off too,but enjoyed her more than Kelly.

I really,really liked Jordin and Rueben. It was one of the most enjoyable parts of the show for me.

Hated the "Idol" awards.They still have to get down in the muck and wallow around and make fun of the
less talented or fortunate! HATE THAT!!

Loved Smokey and Gladys,could have lived without Tony,he really was kind of over the top and is showing his age.HATED seeing Sanjaya in the spotlight once again!

And was Antonella mugging it up for the cameras or what tonight??She looked like she was trying out for a photo shoot in Playboy or something with the stupid sexy stuff.She just thinks she's all that....NOT!

I'm sure I missed moments,but Lost was fantastic!!!!!!! tonight! I cried and yelled and then just bawled when Charlie floated away! I am so going to miss him. And the end was super,my hubby had no idea he was watching the "future" AFTER they get off the island. Great episode,but who wants to wait until next Feb. now?????

CONGRATULATIONS JORDIN!!!!! And great job Blake,you will do well,I am sure.What a night!

Anonymous said...

Glad that Jordin won, I hope she has a great career. Blake will be just fine and will also have a great career.

What happened to Kelly? She sounded awful and all that screaming was painful. If that is the way she is singing on her new album release no wonder Clive Davis is mad. He knows that screaming is terrible and probably won't sell. She just looked wierd to me. Just my opinion.

Well onto BB right!! Can't wait. Thanks for the blog Jackie. As always you rock. :)

Purrbal said...

After a quick rewind...the Sgt Pepper Lonely Heart Band was sung by Kelly Clarkson not Katherine McPhee accompanied by Joe Perry of Aerosmith.

Thx for everything Jackie! You do a great job and I really enjoy getting the early scoop from you since I am oppostive coast from you.

Deanna said...

Id like to second what Jennifer said... Congrats to Jordin, a talented singer who they will mold into an artist. I also will be buying Blakes CD... Loved Blake's performance w/ Doug E.Fresh, and I think he actually outshined the ol' timer...Lol!

I dreaded a 2hr Finale show, but I have to give them a hand. It was an exciting night w/ tons of great entertainment. There were a few blips we could have done w/out, but it was all in all a great way to end the season.

Still love ya Blake! Muah! Cant wait for the CD... ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank Goodness Its OVER. American Idol has left the building !! I think I have just watched my last American Idol. Predictable and getting to be bad television. Or maybe I am just getting too old to appreciate it for what it is.

Sydney said...

Susan in Fl -- I agree with you -- but last yearmade me feel that way. I tried to watch a little here and there this time, just ot keep up with what people were saying here, but I can't stand the judges and their wishy washy comments anymore, and how they drag each season out. I never watch the auditions anymore. What I can watch is the first few rounds of being in Hollywood as they cut it down to the final 12, as that's serious business. It's a shame, as the first few seasons were so compelling. Just one opinion.

LYSS said...

Did you see Jerry Springer tearing up when Bette sing??..ok..i'll start from the begining now..Margaret Fowler laying a big fat kiss on Ryan..i about died..i was laughting soooo hard..it was an ok show..some of the singing was a lil cheezy for my taste..(yeah i said it..sorry), i did enjoy seeing Bette, Carrie, kelly, and Green Day..but to be honest..i was flipin between Idol and the SNL special..i love the Spartain Cheerleaders..oh sorry, wrong show..lol..Im kinda glad to see this one over..now bring on Big Brother...is there ne thing on between now and July when Big Brother come on???
Lyss

Anonymous said...

I am so annoyed as I watched the 2 hours in 30 minutes on my DVR only to get to the end and not see the winner! I even have Idol recordings to run 2 minutes longer since they often ran a little long. But not long enough. I had to go online to find out, not that I didn't know it was going to be Jordin but still, I wanted to see the reaction! I did NOT need to see big bird woman again. There was the 6 minutes they could have saved!

LYSS said...

I should really read the comments before posting..lol..I read somewhere that Kelly had got a new "team" of people that produce her albums or something like that..she was trying to break out of the "pop princess" mode...she said that they told her to be more like mandy moore or jessica simpson..or someone cheezy like that..and she said no way and got a new team..and went all "wild child" i guess..on the local radio station here they were talkin about Idol..and they said "the bigest thing on Idol lastnight was Kelly's butt"..rude..but she really didnt' need to be wearing those tight black pants..sorry but it had to be said..

I miss'd the mini-skirt thing..who was in a mini-skirt..was it the black dress/skirt thing that kelly was wearing the 1st time she was on?? or did kiki try to wear one??

I thought that Kelly didn't want to have ne thing to do w/ idol?? i know last yr she wouldn't let ne one sing one of her songs..what was different this yr..she hasn't had ne thing to do w/ the show since her yr..

and I too will be buying Blakes cd when it comes out..

Lyss

Anonymous said...

Bette Midler was absolutely horrible. Just another example of a legend who shouldn't sing anymore. She has many other songs she could have done besides "Wind Beneath My Wings". She just doesn't have the pipes for it anymore.

I loved seeing all the past winners...just wish Fantasia could have made it too!

Congrats to Jordin. I knew she would do it!

Anonymous said...

Lyss I know Pirate Masters is starting end of this month...and Traveller on Fox. N/T will be back too but I do not know when. If you have HBO, some shows returning (Big Love) and new ones starting. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee looks good. Simple Life is starting next week too. You can tell things are just popping into my head as I type. Simon can keep American Inventor, gave that show 2 tries last year and was not thrilled. I am sure Jackie will keep us updated, thank goodness for Jackie!!!

Kelly was an absolute mess last night...I have no idea who dressed her, but did she look in a mirror? Plus she shouted the songs!

Ne one going to see Pirates this weekend, I will wait for the crowds to die down. Must see "movie"...Johnny Depp. IMAO AND Orlando Bloom. Swoon

Lifetime will have a new series beginning start of June called Army Wives. OH yes, something with Marla Maples and 2 others kind of like a "Wives Club", my guess reality?

LYSS said...

I know this doesn't have ne thing to do w/ idol and Jackie is the "fact finder" but i found some hero's news..

NBC's "Heroes," which wrapped its freshman season with an explosive finale Monday, is rumored to be introducing at least four new, mostly international, characters next season, among them a sexy boyfriend for everyone's favorite cheerleader, Claire ( Hayden Panettiere).

Also potentially joining the cast of characters on "Heroes" next season are a 28-year-old black mother, a surrogate for Niki's ( Ali Larter) son, an Irish mobster and a twentysomething Latina. It is believed that most of these characters will only do arcs on the show rather than become regulars.

i found that on yahoo entertainment news..

Delee..i was thinkin of checkin out the priate master..but as far as the simple life go's..if skeezy and sleezy fell off the face of the earth today..it wouldnt bother ne a bit..

lyss

Anonymous said...

I cant believe all the crap filled for a 2 hour show and still did not know won the show until after 10 pm. what a waste of time.

Anonymous said...

The people that Melinda Doolittle sang with were Bebe and CeCe Winans. They're Christian contempory singers....I think Ryan said when introducing them that Melinda used to do background vocals for them....

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for Jordin and I like the new song. Iloved seeing Smoky Robinson and Gladys Knight. They're two faves from my era and they've still got it! Disappointed listening to Bette. Tony Bennett maybe oughtta think about retiring. His voice is finally starting to reflect his age. I could easily have lived without the chicken lady and the other dumb awards. Carrie's starting to bore me and Kelly, hope that was just an off night for her. Did NOT like her song at all. Joe Perry ROCKED!!! I am glad the season is over,too. .Anyway, congrats to Jordin, and, like most everyone else, I'm looking forward to Big Brother. Thanks, Jackie!

Anonymous said...

BRING ON BIG BROTHER!!!!

Anonymous said...

In the midst of all the Kelly-hatin' I would like to say a word (or three :) in her defense. She has never had the best sense of fashion, and I agree her outfits last night were not flattering. But I think people tend to pick on her more because of her body shape than anything else. I personally think she looks like the average American woman of her age, and I support her in that.

I think it's good for young girls to see that being a great singer doesn't require a model-perfect body. Recently I read an interview with Gwen Stefani who said she's been on a diet all her life, has never been happy with her body and didn't want to go back on stage after her pregnancy. She's very talented, so that's a real shame.

As for Kelly's singing, everybody has on off-night, so I hope she finds success with her new album. I never thought her music would be something I was interested in, but my friend gifted me with her CD "Breakaway" and I played it non-stop for months. She is extremely talented and Jordin would be wise to use her as a role model. Even to the extent that Kelly stands up for her creative vision, and will go to bat with her record company to make a record that's true to who she is.

I think Kelly will still be around 10 years from now, which is probably much longer than some of the other AI graduates.

So, not disputing your opinions, just offering another perspective from a true fan.

Clementine

Anonymous said...

Anon 9:22 - I totally agree with you. I think Kelly has a beautiful voice and truthfully, I wondered if she had a sore throat or something when she started singing. I also believe she'll be around a long time. And, with some experience and a little more training of her vocals, I think Jordin will do the same.

Anonymous said...

Never said I wanted Kelly to be stick thin. Just thought her outfits were not flattering. I am tired of the size 0 models/stars out there and all the trouble young girls are having with those images.

Sydney said...

Ditto - I like Kelly very much, but as a stylist, I could have done a LOT better dressing her. And the camera was at an angle that just didn't do her any favors. And unfortunately in this biz, that will be an issue. Does not need to be stick thin at all, just needs to be dressed well for your body type.

Summer Shows: If you have HBO and Showtime, The Tudors and Sopranos are just about wrapping up, but Dexter is set to come back on. They are showing it's first season on IN DEMAND and if you have it, check it out. I didn't think it could be so good being about a serial killer (played by is it Anthony Michael Hall the mortician brother from Siz Feet Under). Just give the 1st ep a try and let me know what you think...

Also, Rescue Me starts on FX on June 13th or 19th.
They too show past season reruns leading up to the season opener. I'll be watching these shows to fill in the gaps this summer.

Saw that Nip Tuck is coming back but not til the Fall, as the doctors have set up in Hollywood.

Anonymous said...

Here Here Clementine!! I love Kelly and even though "baby's got back" I think she looks good! I wish I had her body instead of the one I got ;)

I don't think she had an off night. I love that gritty sound she had...

Anonymous said...

Delee you are wrong, wrong, wrong about Kelly I thought she was great, great, great. She is the only idol thus far who has more talent in her little finger than all other AI's wished they had. Kelly will be around forever. She is an amazing singer, songwriter, and person who stands up for what she believes. I thought she looked great. She is a beautiful girl. What is all the hype about Carrie? She sounds just like any other country music singer. she has nothing special only her looks. She will not be around as long as Ms. Independent.