Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Broadcast Networks Announce Fall TV Season - What's On or Not

It's that time of year again. The major broadcast networks are announcing the fall schedules. What shows didn't make the cut? What new shows can we expect? I've poked about the web for the information to pass on to the readers here.

Let's talk CBS first...

Canceled shows (or those not on the fall schedule) include: Jericho (that's going to upset some blog readers), Close to Home, The Class, and The King of Queens.

Returning shows: The Amazing Race (mid-season), Cold Case, 60 Minutes, How I Met Your Mother, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Two and a Half Men, Rules of Engagement, CSI: Miami, NCIS, The Unit, Criminal Minds, CSI: NY, Survivor, CSI, Shark, Without A Trace, Ghost Whisperer, Numb3rs, 48 Hours Mystery. Just a personal note -- I don't watch or enjoy all of these shows, but I understand all returning except one. Who out there is watching Rules of Engagement? How'd that get renewed?

New shows: Viva Laughlin, Swingtown, Moonlight, Cane, Big Bang Theory, Power of 10, Kid Nation. As time goes on, I'll post more on these shows.

It's on (or not) on NBC...

Canceled or just plain gone: Andy Barker P.I., Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, The Black Donnellys, The Real Wedding Crashers, Kidnapped, Raines, Crossing Jordan, Grease: You're the One That I Want, Identity, 20 Good Years, Thank God You're Here. Hmmm... nothing I'll miss so much there, I guess. It's too bad Raines wasn't given more of a chance. I was getting into the show. And, I think the messing with the schedule killed Crossing Jordan. I haven't watched it since it left the Sunday night time slot. Although not on this list, it appears The Apprentice will most likely not return... at least not to NBC.

Returning shows: Friday Night Lights, Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Deal or No Deal, 30 Rock, The Office, Heroes, Scrubs, ER, The Biggest Loser, Las Vegas, My Name Is Earl, 1 vs. 100, Dateline, Football Night In America, Medium, Saturday Night Live. I know some of the blog readers are going to be gleeful about the FNL renewal! Me? I'm a Law and Order and its franchises fanatic, so I'm happy. I had faith in Heroes and knew that was slated. L&O, I was worried about a bit more.

New shows include: The Bionic Woman, The IT Crowd, Chuck, Journeyman, Life, Lipstick Jungle, The Singing Bee, World Moves, and Heroes: Origins. Again, more on these at a later date.

What can we expect from ABC?

Bye-bye, canceled or just not there: The Nine, Six Degrees, The Great American Dream Vote, Show Me The Money, Day Break, In Case of Emergency, The Knights of Prosperity, What About Brian, George Lopez, According to Jim. Okay, I'm not upset about any of these. I know some blog readers watch What About Brian, though. I'm sorry.

Returning shows: Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, October Road, Notes from the Underbelly, Men In Trees, Brothers & Sisters, Wife Swap, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, The Bachelor, Dancing with the Stars, Lost, Supernanny, America's Funniest Home Videos, Boston Legal, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, 20/20, Primetime. Yes, fans... DWTS has a fall season slated!

New shows we can expect to see: Big Shots, Carpoolers, Cashmere Mafia, Eli Stone, Dirty Sexy Money, Cavemen, Miss/Guided, Private Practice, Pushing Daisies, Sam I Am, Women's Murder Club, Oprah's Big Give. I mentioned a while ago that the Geico Cavemen were going to get their own series, so we'll have to see if they're good for more than thirty seconds, eh? There are surely some intriguing show titles here. Of course, more on them in due time.

Keep in mind, these announcements are only about the fall schedule. They don't include the summer programming which is headed our way.

Your reactions? Are your favorite shows returning or are the gone too soon?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

"
Returning shows slated for the fall: The Amazing Race"

Where did you get this information? TAR is not in the fall CBS lineup, so I expect that they are only going to air it in the Spring. Which makes sense to me (I think Survivor should do the same, but unfortunately the ratings haven't tumbled yet to warrant such a move).

Anonymous said...

" I know some of the blog readers are going to be gleeful about the FNL renewal! Me?"

Yeah, but I think Friday Night Lights is being moved to Friday.

In the fall when football season starts, many people who like FNL will be out watching HS football in person.

Don't you know a lot about TV? You shouldn't be too thrilled about the show being moved to Friday nights. That's the kiss of death, this is common knowledge. Enjoy this last season (or half-season) of FNL in the fall.

Jackie S. said...

Anon @ 2:48 - Amazing Race is actually mid-season, not fall. I'll clarify that.

Anon @ 2:51 - Why so snarky? I don't even watch the show, but know many of the blog readers here who do will be happy that it's in for another season no matter the night it airs. Oh... and I do know just a bit about TV.
@@

Anonymous said...

All I care about is Grey's Anatomy and ER! Both are back! Yippee!!

Jackie -- Love the word "snarky". I think I'm gonna start using it :)

Anonymous said...

How in the world does "The Bachelor" always manage to come back?

Also, why only one editon of "The Biggest Loser"? I think last year, there were minis in the summer.

LYSS said...

I told you I told you I told you..ne show that I start to like will be cancel'd..how are they going to leave me hanging with Jericho?? and how are they going to put FNL on on Friday night?? Thats high school football night..do they want it to fail?? would they bring a show back, change the night to watch it fail??? that just chaps my hide..atleast i dont' have to see trump's mug everywhere i look..i'm tired of him and the cat that lives on his head..
imma go and kick something now..have a good night all..
lyss

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

I recently returned from travels (in China) and have been getting caught up on several programs via TIVO and your blog. I’m looking forward to the next TAR since it will be
filmed entirely in China. Teams might have a real problem with translation since the further you get from Beijing, the less you see signage in English. If they want to get
directions, their best bet will be to ask a 10 year old, not an adult since the children
seem to understand English moreso than the older Chinese! Anyway, I have
wondered about something on TAR for some time and don’t know if it was ever covered
on your blog. When teams start out on a new leg they are given X dollars for that leg.
The cash seems to be in US currency because I have seen numerous teams counting it
out. But I doubt that they are able to use US currency when purchasing train tickets,
boat tickets, paying taxis, etc. You never see them using a currency exchange and I
thought maybe their cameraman carried local currency which he might dole out
to them (for the equivalent amount in US cash) when cash payments are required. Can
you or any of your readers comment?

Tom

Sydney said...

Jackie --- isn't it a crack up when we get a not very nice comment here it's always from an poster who doesn't share their name?

I happen to be one of the people who is ecstatic that FNL is coming back on. Had a discussion last night with another fan that if they put it on Friday Night maybe it could finally find it's audience as there is nothing much on Friday night TV to compete... and more people could find it.

I beg to differ. For those in the state of Texas who may indeed be in the high school stands in their own home towns on Friday night, there is not only TIVO but the actual desire to make sure they see the show no matter WHAT night it is on.

Anonymous said...

Sad about Jericho. Crossing Jordon is a fav of mine and have watched even with the stops and starts. Even the move to Weds, tape AI and watch Xing J. Kind of knew it was gone.

Thanks for the update!!!

Anonymous said...

Tom Survivor will be in China not TAR.

Jackie S. said...

Tom - They occasionally show them exchange currency, so I think they must. But TAR travels from country to country, so I think they won't exchange it all as they're not in any one country for so long. Delee is right -- it's the upcoming Survivor which will be in China.

Anonymous said...

Can LOST get any better...darn season finales...I want more

Anonymous said...

Aww, Identity was canceled. Of all the canceled shows I'll miss that and maybe Knights of Prosperity.

dla said...

I am most addicted to ABC entertainment at this time! Nothing too surprising about the shows that are gone, and I am looking forward to a few of the new shows like Lipstick Jungle. I can only dream that this may fill the void left when SATC went off the air!! :)

Also happy to see ER back. I have not been as loyal to them as I once was, but I definitely enjoy the show.

Jackie, I also loved the "snarky", and you KNOW how I love to see those @@ !!! Just keeps me comin' back for more!! LOL

Sydney said...

Dla -- I have the same hopes for lipstick jungle... until then, Ugly Betty gives me some of what I miss. Maybe the combination of the two shows will help!

Anonymous said...

Actually, Jericho was just picked up for another year.

Anonymous said...

Ah,darn! I always feel the same way as lyss,any time I really like a show,it's the kiss of death! I'm sad about "What About Brian",I really liked it and it was getting better and better(and my son looks like Barry).And was surprised that Identity didn't make the cut. It was much better than 1vs100,IMO.

I'm so glad that ER is coming back for another season. Every year I worry,and this year they kinda revived themselves and it was really,really good. Loving John Stamos on there.

dla said...

Hi Sydney!

Happy Friday! I also love Ugly Betty! I was in a pinch during the past season of Survivor with them on against each other, so I typically watched Survivor on Thursday evening, and then caught UB online after the fact!

Still miss the "edge" from SATC, so maybe we will get that with Lipstick Jungle. I read the book, but it has been a while, so I don't remember that much about it.

Have a great weekend!

Deanna said...

Im just so bummed that "The Class" and "Studio 60" won't be returning. I also really liked "Knights of Prosperity" and " In Case of Emergency"...:(

Im also not liking how "Lost" won't be back until Feb 08 and for only 16 episodes????? What a jip! Maybe I might have to lose "Lost".

Anonymous said...

For my take on the Desperate Housewives finale go to http://mytvmusings.com/2007/05/21/desperate-housewives-review/

Anonymous said...

See my take on the Numb3rs finale at http://mytvmusings.com/2007/05/25/numb3rs-season-finale/

Anonymous said...

See my take on the return of Kidnapped at http://mytvmusings.com/2007/06/23/kidnapped-returns-with-final-8-episodes/