Friday, June 01, 2007

"The Big Donor Show" on Dutch Television a Big Hoax

They wanted attention and they got it -- worldwide. Even I voiced my displeasure regarding the announced show in this blog entry. Thankfully, the state of reality television isn't quite organ donors for entertainment, but I'm still a bit perturbed how they went about it.

The show, The Big Donor Show, aired last night on BNN in the Netherlands. The whole show was a hoax. It turns out that the "dying of cancer" woman who was to donate a kidney to the winner is actually an actress. The three contestants in need of the kidneys really do need them, but were in on the hoax.

So, why did they do it?

They did the whole thing to raise awareness of the need for organ donors.

Hmmm. There has to be a better way.

In other news, Jack Kevorkian was released from prison.

5 comments:

dla said...

Hi Jackie!

I read about this online today...

I am not certain if I am outraged or relieved.

Anonymous said...

I am donating a kidney to my mother and I understand the need for awareness, however, isn't there a better way. Hoax or no hoax I think that this was awful. Do a PSA or something. I'm just at a loss for words.

Deanna said...

It was an awful hoax, but hey at least they got the world talking about organ donors. Just read the story in people about the father who was released temporarily from prison to donate a kidney to his son and then skipped town. The attention from that act got him many people wanting to donate. He thankfully received a kidney from an anonymous donor. Hopefully his father rots in prison forever!

Anonymous said...

This may disgust enough potential donors who believe this to be a cruel joke. It could well have done more harm than good. What a dumb idea.

Brent McKee said...

The Dutch Minister of Education described the show as "a fantastic stunt" and "an intelligent way to draw attention to the lack of donor organs." Is there a better way? Probably, but a public service announcement or a documentary isn't likely to draw the audience that this stunt did. It had shock value and sometimes that's what's needed.