Monday, June 11, 2007

'Hell's Kitchen' - A Quick Take on Episode 2

Hell's KitchenWhat a difference a week makes, eh?

Last week it seemed that the women, the Red Team, were doomed. This week it was the men (Blue Team) who couldn't get their act together.

And, those men so not got their act together in such a fashion that Gordon Ramsay kicked them out of the kitchen and had the women finish their serving. Of course, the promos had us expecting something Ramsay had never done before and showed an ambulance. The promos indicated that someone would stand up to him.

Bah, never happened. On the Blue Team, Aaron the older out-of-condition Asian cowboy, was feeling ill, dizzy, and generally hindering the progress of his own team. Vinnie from Joisey talks a good game in his camera time with us, but doesn't speak up to Ramsay. Eddie is woefully out of his league and talks about talking up. Josh is just self-righteous. Rock seems to be the most professional on the team.

The Red Team, after bickering like my brother and me when we were young'uns, actually worked together. I think it was Jen giving the lead and doing it very well. Hmmm... maybe it was Melissa. It wasn't Bonnie, the one Ramsay referred to as a dumb blonde and a ****** Barbie. Even Joanna, the Evil Queen from last week, showed some emotion, worked better with others, and just worked.

The women won the challenge tonight in addition to winning the service. The teams had to prep Dover sole which included skinning and removing the roe. Although Josh shined at the task, that's the only good thing he did all night. While the women went off deep sea fishing with Gordon Ramsay, the men had to skin and de-roe all of the fish for the service.

The men couldn't seem to do anything, not one single bit, of the service right. As I mentioned above, Ramsay kicked them out of the kitchen. Aaron, odd man out, was de-boning the fish into filets at the tables and did that wrong. The one who did the least wrong, Rock, was chosen by Ramsay to choose two to leave.

Eddie, the Little Dude, approached him and said his choices were himself (Eddie), Josh, and Aaron. Since Aaron is definitely losing it, he approached Rock and gave him the choices of "me and me." But he said he'd like to remain. Josh thinks he did okay, would do better.

In the end, Rock chose Eddie and Josh. Now, I wonder what Ramsay would have done with a choice of Aaron and Eddie. With the choices as presented, he kicked Eddie out. But I think that if Aaron had been up on the plate (so to speak) with Eddie, it may have been Aaron gone. Either way, they were both doomed. It's just a matter of when. Neither of the two could ever handle the high stress and pressure work that would come with a win.

A few miscellaneous notes: This show always has more smokers than I've ever seen on any reality show. I've never worked in the restaurant business, but is there a higher percentage of smokers in that line? And, where do they find so many places not delegated to the outdoors to smoke anyway? It's slim indoor pickings for smokers in California. My other note: why do so many guys on television and the movies named Vinny or Vinnie hail from Jersey? I've lived here about 13 years and have met two guys named Vinnie (or Vinny) in all that time.

Your thoughts on the latest episode?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

my first season with this show jackie! havent watched all of tonites yet but thanks for the vote off! so glad u r blogging it!
debbie in calif

Anonymous said...

Aaron is being kept as a weakest link, but I sure would have nominated him. You know if and when you are up against him that he will be the one to go. But he is pulling the blue team down.

The ambulance was in the up and coming previews. Looks like it comes next week. ???

What is it with the green risotto? Risotto reminds me of paste. YUCK!

I have avoided the spoiler you mentioned. Aaron is only 48, not that old. Emeril(48) and Mario (47), so I think Aaron has a medical condition-just wish he would stop the crying.

The girls pulled it out, good for them, but there is always next week. Has to be so hard when you know you could be the one Gordon zeroes in on.

Caroline said...

I enjoyed the episode last night. Then again, anytime Chef Ramsey refers to any contestants as "donkeys" pretty much amuses me. The girls were awesome tonight and hopefully can keep the teamwork momentum going.

I still think Aaron should have gone home. He didn't even participate in the fish challenge and he spent half the day napping. Doesn't seem right that he can shirk all his work but all the other contestants are working their butts off. Also, Rock is stupid for wanting to get rid of Josh. It's too early in the competition to get rid of the good people. If the boys prey on themselves it'll only make it easier for the girls to attack them later.

dawn said...

I think Aaron is going to have a stroke or heartattack. He was a zombie when Ramsey was speaking to him before dinner. He sweats alot and on top of that smokes. Disaster waiting to happen. As for Vinny I think they are all from NY and NJ. That's just the way it is Jackie

Anonymous said...

Why in the world would they put Aaron on there to begin with? Couldn't they find another contestant? Did they not have enough applicants? Has the guy never watched the show? I just don't get it...

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

I have met 2 guys in my life named Vinnie....sorta....one was a Vinnie from NJ the other was a vince....from CA....
I have noticed on past season and other "chef" shows that there are alot of smokers....perhaps because stepping out for a smoke gets you completely out of the kitchen for a few minutes.....
and that green risotto just looked disgusting.....
Aaron could be kept because he makes weak competition later or we are (as usual) not seeing it all.....he could very well be very good but is not feeling well so, they are giving him a "chance" so to speak

Anonymous said...

I'm liking Aaron a whole lot less after this last episode. Like Orkmommy says, what was he expecting this show to be? and the minute he started pouring sweat over those fish made my stomach turn. He should have been the one to go. I see him going from bad to worse.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,I'm baaaccckkk! I have been so out of the loop for 5 days,that it is so good to have Jackie to rely on.I'm always amazed at how untalented these people seem to be. And the sweating and nose running,well it does nothing to make what they do look very appealing.

Has anybody really stepped up to even look like a contender? I think Gordon has a soft spot(or his eye on) that one chick that he let pick last week.He seemed to favor the one that was the winner last season,too,even though I thought she still wasn't very good.

Still waiting for BB,that's my guilty pleasure of the summer...always. So I'm off to watch the ballgame(baseball,not that debacle with the Cavs) until something I like comes on. I just can't get into "On the Lot".

Sydney said...

Welcome Back Sharon!