Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sneak Peek: TNT's New Medical Drama 'Heartland'

Tomorrow night, after the season premiere of The Closer, will be the debut of Heartland.

What's that, you ask?

Heartland is the latest entry into original drama series for TNT, the network who knows drama. I've watched the first two episodes and, although I'm not a huge medical drama buff, I found them intriguing.

First off, the star of the show is Treat Williams. I've always liked him and he's been scarce for a number of years. So, I can forget that they even sent me a pair of nifty Heartland scub pants and just declare it a Treat of my own, eh?

Although a heart-rate increasing medical drama about organ transplants, the show is just as much about its lead characters -- Treat Williams as Dr. Nathaniel Grant (an organ transplant surgeon who's willing to take risks to give his patients a "second chance"), Kari Matchett as his ex-wife who has to work with him in her capacity of an organ donor coordinator. their teenaged daughter, his latest dating experiences (or are they experiments?), and the doctors, staff, and hierarchy of the hospital itself.

The organ donor angle is a story which needs to be told. And medical dramas often snag the interest of audiences. I think that folks who like a good medical drama, well-written, good characters, and not of the ilk where if you miss one show you're lost... Heartland may be just the show for you. The main storyline each episode wraps up (for good or bad) at the end of each hour and it's easy to get involved with watching.

Oh... did I mention it has Treat Williams?

Check it out tomorrow night - Monday, July 18 at 10 PM ET/PT on TNT.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same Treat Williams that was on Everwood? Hey, I'd watch! Thanks for the tip!

Sydney said...

The same Treat William who was in Once Upon a Time in America...

Anonymous said...

I'm thinkin' I will give it a watch. I really like Treat Williams and anything that boosts organ donation is a-okay in my book! I hope all of you that pop in here have signed up to be a donor,if you qualify! As it says on my car..."don't take your organs to heaven,heaven knows we need them here"!Off my soap box now!

Anonymous said...

I liked the show and think it will be part of my Monday viewing.I just wish that I could get into "the Closer. I have tried watching it many times now and just can't get into it.Drat,forgot Hell's Kitchen was on,but sounds like it might have turned my stomach...lol. I can't believe the things these "chefs"(using term lightly)do in the kitchen.I'm with you,Jackie,maybe eating in is the best bet!Even on my worst days,I don't take food out of the garbage to feed my family.....yeep!

Sydney said...

Sharon -- I've tried to get into the Closer several times myself and I just can't get into it either. It gets such great reviews.

Anonymous said...

Totally didn't enjoy Heartland. I didn't feel any chemistry from the cast and thought Treat Williams was overacting. I'm disappointed because I LOVE medical dramas. Oh well, on to the next show...

Anonymous said...

I think I watched about 20 minutes and just couldn't get into it....bummer. Ended up watching an old movie on TMC instead.....

Anonymous said...

I am definitely for a tv show that will increase awareness about organ donation. People do need to remember though that the story lines are FICTIONAL.

Anonymous said...

Did the second episode air last night? I forgot to watch it, and I can't see it in my Tivo list at all! Surely they wouldn't have cancelled it already!!