Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Whatever Will I Watch Tonight? - Wednesday, June 6, 2007


Once again, I know this isn't my usual graphic. It's a ladybug on clover in bright sunshine -- you can click on it to see it in its full bug-glory. I'm still playing with the new camera and new computer. Of course, these will be my only major expense playtoys for the year, but the digital camera I had was over four years old and had been dropped a lot. With the new computer, I don't even have to hook (either) camera up to the computer to download the photos -- it has card-reading slots for almost every media there is and treats them like a separate drive.

One thing I have to do is go out and get amplified/powered speakers for the new computer, though. I have two sets of computer speakers which have always worked fine. I never really depended on my computer for fine stereo sound. But the speakers are operating at such low volumes that I can barely hear them now.

And the computer was overdue, too. I still have working computers in Windows 95 (yikes), Windows 98, and Windows XP... but the first two can only do dial-up without major work. And the most recent, the XP OS, is almost seven years old and was starting to flake out a bit.

The new computer, after rebates, is only costing me around $500 compared to the really wimpy Windows 95 machine which cost me over $2,500 about 13 years ago. The XP 'puter was a good deal -- an open box buy at $500 which should have gone for $1200. So, I have a TriGem (heh), Compaq, and two HP Pavillions spread out over the years. I'm not mentioning the strictly DOS ATT 'puter from the 80s. That one never did online other than local BBS stuff and used 5.25" floppies. Yes, I'm a geekette, I guess.

But with Big Brother 8 on the horizon, I had to get myself up to snuff. I can't be breaking down amidst the live feeds, can I?

Enough about computer doings... what will I be watching tonight?

The 8 PM hour (ET/PT) is a bit slim pickings for me. I don't want to watch hockey on NBC. So You Think You Can Dance is a repeat in that hour on FOX, but it's a maybe with me. Doubled-up repeats of The King of Queens on CBS just don't make the grade with me. ABC has a new The Next Best Thing. That'll be a maybe. I have no interest in CW's new Hidden Palms, but it is indeed something new. I guess I'll decide what I'm watching at 7:59 PM.

In the 9 PM ET/PT hour, I have a definite will-watch show - So You Think You Can Dance in a new episode on FOX. There's a new American Inventor on ABC, but the show lost me last season. I doubt I'll watch it at all this season unless there's nothing else on I remotely want to see. CW has a new One Tree Hill episode, but I've never watched the show... don't believe I'll start now. TBS has new back-to-back episodes of House of Payne. If you're a Tyler Perry fan, check 'em out! Since I've already seen the episodes in screener versions, they're a maybe for me for recording. It's always interesting to see the differences between the screeners and the aired versions.

In the 10 PM ET/PT hour, there's a new Traveler on ABC. I know the show should be something I like, but I couldn't get into it when I tried to watch it last week. Instead, I'm going to watch two back-to-back new episodes of Cash Cab on the Discovery Channel. I may record Traveler to give it another shot, but new Cash Cabs I just can't not watch! There's a new Top Chef on Bravo, too. With that network and show, they re-air the shows often enough to keep up with them. I'll just have to check future listings or record that instead of the Traveler. Decisions, decisions.

What will you be watching tonight?

7 comments:

Sydney said...

Well, it's felt kind of nice to have the TV down time (after I got over the initial trauma) as much as I am jonesing for the Big Brother and Rescue Me to start. Now in the evenings I actually read, go to a Wed night lecture, catch up on paperwork, and get outside for a walk, a swim or I hit the gym instead of sitting on my couch. I'm even slowly getting to various parts of my closet, which has needed to be sorted through for a good YEAR!

That said, I may turn on Top Chef tonight. Thanks fro mentioning it. There are so many shows on that I lump into this category, and all have their merits. Of those, Project Runway is my fave... woo hoo!

After that, in descending order, I liked Top Design, then it's a tie between Work Out and Shear Genius, THEN Top Chef. Does anyone else catch all these? What's your order? I think we have a LOT of Project Runway fans here. Jackie, I am forgetting what you have said about that show in the past... have you caught much of it?

dla said...

Hi all!

Sydney, is Work Out the one about the personal trainer in LA? If so, I have found that entertaining when I have been able to catch it.

I just watched several eps of Shear Genius the other night, as I was just looking for something to get into, and it was good!!

And, of course, Project Runway gets my vote!!! Love the show, love Tim Gunn, love the fashion, love the divas, and I love that it is on repeatedly so that you never need to miss an episode!

This evening I watched the repeat and new episode of SYTYCD, which was just what I needed. Terrific entertainment with no thinking required!! lol

Anonymous said...

Again,great picture,Jackie!I can never take those kind of shots,you have to have an eye for it and you obviously DO!

Well,was mostly busy trying to get packed to leave this AM,but watched the Indians game from 7-8(GO TRIBE!!!)and then caught SYTYCD
at 9 and then Top Chef at 10.

I'd have to vote for Project Runway as my number one and then Shear Genius,Top Design,Top Chef and then Work Out. And,for some reason,the Food Channel's Next Star just doesn't grab me. I haven't liked the last two they picked and not too excited about this season,but then,it's something new to watch.

Going away for the weekend but will try and stay in touch if time allows. Have a great weekend all.It's going to be HOT in TN where I am going! Buh-bye!

Jackie S. said...

Sydney - Of the shows you listed, I only watch Top Chef. As for The Runway, I know it's popular with many who folks who generally have the same viewing tastes as me... but I'v only watched part of one episode and couldn't get into it.

Sharon - Thanks! I hired that ladybug to model on the clover!
;-)

Anonymous said...

Project Runway is one of my favorie reality shows. along with Amazing Race, Survivor and BB. I had never seen Top Chef until this week - they ran all of season one and two this week and I recorded them and am now hooked. I can't wait until next week for the new season.
RealityFan

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!
Just had to pop in to make sure I'm not missing anything. Although with such little puter time I always miss more than I like. :(

"Sooooooooo cool" (Chicken George LOL) you got some new tools, pc and camera. If anyone deserves them it's YOU, Jackie.

Well, I'm certainly getting tired of re-runs and can't seem to sink into many of the new summer shows. I do like "Starter Wife" and "Army Wife"...funny 2 wife titles...although they're not on Wednesday night. LOL! Wish I could get into "Top Chef" since you blog it but guess I spend enough time chef-ing to really want to watch it for entertainment. "Project Runway" has always been enjoyable but not one of my can't miss shows. You know I'm reserving space and time for BB8. I'm just not into watching "Pirates" after Survivor's most favorite pirate, Rupert. ;) I'm chomping at the bit for "The 4400" to start. Anybody else watch that here?

Well, time to tackle 200+ emails now.

Take care all!
Zoetawny~
xoxo

Anonymous said...

See my take on Traveler at http://mytvmusings.com/2007/06/12/traveler-2/