Monday, July 16, 2007

'Hell's Kitchen' - A Quick Take on Episode 7

Hell's Kitchen
It's down to six chefs, three men and three women, in this season's Hell's Kitchen. If you ask me, none of them are ready to take on the responsibilities of running a fine dining restaurant. None of them.

Julia is a personal favorite of mine. I think that in many areas, she may be the most competent chef all around. Alas, she's not all too familiar with the sort of restaurant which she would win. Plus, while she can take charge, I think her lack of fine dining experience hurts her own self-esteem.

Jen. I don't care for her. Technically, she may have the most experience on the womens' team, but I can't get past her planning to use pasta she retrieved from the trash can. I know I should get over it, but I just can't. Eww.

Then there's Bonnie. Chef Ramsay is slightly right when he implies (being kind here) that she's a bit dippy. She may be creative and have great ideas, but she can't follow through in the kitchen. From her own mouth tonight, "My creativity supercedes what I can do."

Onto the men, I found Brad especially annoying tonight. In the service, they had to make their own menus. He practically took over and wouldn't work with Josh or Rock at all. Then he screws up in the kitchen.

Josh has always been a bit of a non-entity to me throughout the season. He is in no way ready to run anything more involved than a chain restaurant. No, not fancy dining. Nuh-uh.

Now, I think Rock has the talent in the kitchen. But his personal skills are a bit lacking. He gets explosive and boils rather than attempting to actually work with a team.

Get rid of all of them and give us replacements, please.

Tonight the challenge was to serve one appetizer and two entrees out of leftovers provided to them. They had a half-hour to whip it all together. The guys won, partly because Julia made fish and chips which were good but won't fly in a fancy-schmancy restaurant. The men got to go play paintball with Ramsay while the women cleaned and took in the deliveries. They screwed up the checking in of the deliveries and caused themselves even more work.

In setting up the service in which each team chose its menu, the women substitured Julia's choice of NY strip steak at the last minute. Wise choice; it was the most popular dish.

The women got off to a great start while the men faltered. Before the service, Ramsay mentioned teamwork. Neither team knows the meaning of the word. The women refused to talk to each other and the lack of communication loused up their work. With the men, Josh was totally sinking when Ramsay told Rock and Brad to help him. Neither made a move to save their team.

At the end, Ramsay praised Julia and fired Brad. As it should be.

But, if it were me, I'd fire 'em all and give the kid from the fryer at the local roadside stand a chance at the big time.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

.......................................................I absolutely agree with you Jackie. Worst crew of chefs (?) he's ever had. None of them belong in any fine dining establishment. What a bunch of screw=ups! Rock needs some anger management or something. Too bad, he's the only one who really had a shot, but he even needs more experience before stepping into an upscale kitchen. I'm just gettin' thru the season.

pisgahscience said...

I agree. I'm really disappointed.

Anonymous said...

Should be fun to see the red and blue team work as one! We never got to see the desserts except a creme brulee.

Rock's attitude is horrible. I would not want to work for him. I could not believe when GR asked him and Brad to help Josh and they just stood there. I expected more fireworks from GR over that.

Jen acted like Melissa last night when Bonnie asked her to talk during service. Looks like the five of them are pulling out the stops and hope someone else sinks before them. OR who can make who look worse. I sure hope the GVRanch has a fast food restaurant they can run, because none of them can run a high-end dining establishment.

I like Julia best but doubt she is up to the task. She would need some major sous chefs behind her to make it work.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Julia outshone all the others last night,but she was so caught up in what she had to do that she wasn't talking to the others either. And Jen...well she has the meanest mouth I have ever seen. It's like she sucks on lemons before the show,it's set in a mean,tight,thin lipped grimmace the whole time. I don't think she is a nice person.

But I totally agree,none of them deserve the chance that is being offered as the prize. I know,I sure wouldn't be chomping at the bit to go and eat there if I knew any of them was in charge. GR may be mean but he knows how to cook!

Anonymous said...

The challenges are what intrigue me. On the weeks the girls win - like last week - there is a "girly" prize aka photo shoot. On the weeks the guys win - guess what?!? - paintball!!! FAKE.

Anonymous said...

With a girly challenge and then a macho challenge...I guess could seem fishy that the cooresponding team won. I am sure they were set up in advance and GR just called and said we will be there or wherever. We do not know the time lag from winning to doing.