Saturday, November 10, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Saturday, November 10, 2007


I took this photo in midtown Manhattan (NYC, not Kansas) in the evening as drizzle hit the streets. I didn't see any cats atop the buildings.

MY review of last night's The Next Great American Band is up and running over at TV Squad.

In other TV Newsy Bits:
  • Not TV news per se, but sort of related in the entertainment arena -- Broadway shows will be going dark today as the stagehands go out on strike. It won't affect me as I didn't plan to go see any Broadway shows. What I'd like to see which is going on now at Madison Square Garden is Cirque du Soleil even though critics are panning Wintuk.
  • Author Norman Mailer died, again not television, but certainly related to film!
  • Ellen DeGeneres is getting a lot of heat for carrying on with her show despite the writers strike. I can understand some of her points, but I don't think it's a good move for her to make when most of Hollywood is in solidarity with the strikers.
Today's music non-sequitur:
Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has old MacHeath, babe
And he keeps it … ah … out of sight.
-- "Mack the Knife" as sung by Bobby Darin

8 comments:

Deanna said...

I can understand how people would be upset by Ellen crossing the picket lines, but she is TRULY about the people and doesnt want to disappoint. That is why I enjoy her so...

Anonymous said...

Not an Ellen fan, so who cares!!!

Love Cirque shows, have seen 3 this year, but I can guess one can be so-so!!! Sad but it happens...

Looks like snow here, overcast and dingy...welcome to late fall!!!

joy n said...

AH! The hustle and bustle of NYC.

Happy to see that Sixwire and the Clark Brothers are still hanging in there on NGAB.

Hope Roofus has a dry, fairly warm spot to wait out the inclement weather.

Anonymous said...

I,too,was happy to see Sixwire and The Clarks still in the race on NGAB. I'm right there with you,Joy and would be happy if either of them won. I am enjoying Denver/MHB and also Old No.10,though I don't think either will win.But I have to so agree with Jackie on the lead singer of SixWire....I love to listen to him and really,really like to look at him!! He kinda reminds me of Josh Holloway from "Lost"....no? I also agree with Jackie that I hate the contest to be based on covers of other artists! When they had the time to do an original AND a cover,it was better,but now it's not as good. Some bands are just not made for some types of songwriting,although I thought the bluegrass band did a good job with Billy Joel this week.What's next? Metallica for the baby boy rockers or ...,who,by the way,can't stand,either of them.

Roofus,winter is coming,hope you have a place to keep warm!!

Anonymous said...

hey jackie, i still wondering where paula got that heart dress LOLOL.. debbie in sunny calif here, wanted to thank you for all the 'funky' pics you post of your daily commute. have never been to new york, its buildings fascinate me! love coming on here and getting to see a taste of what its like!!

Anonymous said...

Jackie did you hear anything about Big Brother being aired in jan or feb because of strike? I read something on tvgasm about that.

Jackie S. said...

Anon - I posted about that early this week --
Big Brother 9?

joy n said...

Sharon. I agree, the lead singer does remind me of Josh Holloway, too, and that is a really good thing!