Sunday, November 04, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Sunday, November 4, 2007


This is a photo I took during a previous holiday season, but with the nip in the air mornings now, it seems right for today. Again, I used layers to make the background black and white while leaving the inflated turkey (run, turkey, run!) in color. The location is John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains, New Jersey -- a place I love to go to for old-fashioned butcher attention and really fine meats. If you click on the photo, you'll see a larger version.

In today's TV Newsy Bits:
  • Don't forget -- The Amazing Race 12 premiere is tonight after 60 Minutes, with a possible football delay on the east coast. Thanks to the screener I received for the TV Squad gig, I've already seen it. Although I won't spoil anything for you -- I like most of the teams at first glance with two teams who annoy me. One of those two went! (Yay!) So you have no clue what team was eliminated, but it's already off to a good start with me because an annoying team is gone. Now if the other would go away next week!
  • The New York Marathon is today. I won't be there. Even when I could run, I didn't run. I think the most I've ever run at one time was two miles, not 26. I will raise a cup of hot chocolate to them from the comfort of my living room.
  • It's still uncertain but probable that the WGA's television and film writers will go on strike tomorrow. Although scripted television shows wouldn't be immediately impacted, my late night Letterman fix will probably head into reruns. I guess it would be good for me to go bed earlier, eh?
  • Although my own writing isn't covered by the WGA, I can sympathize with its members. Outside of this blog, I write on a freelance contract which necessitates me keeping a day job. I found this Huffington Post article very informative about the writing industry for film and television. In an industry which pays its actors ridiculously high salaries, it offers the writers virtual peanuts in comparison. With my freelance work, I earn more than many of the WGA members and I'm not writing fiction which I know from personal experience is a lot tougher than blogging. And, when you think of it ... if not for writers, there would be no films and scripted television shows in the first place. Stephen King money isn't expected, but a living wage is and they should get their royalties on DVD and Internet sales increased. Is four cents too much to ask? I think not!
  • Thinking of Stephen King -- I see The Mist is going to be released in theaters soon. That's one of my all-time Stephen King short story favorites. Although I probably won't go see it in a theater, I will definitely get it once it comes out on DVD. (The writer will get paid, I'm sure!) It stars Andre Braugher, one of my favorite actors from Homicide: Life on the Street.
Today's music non-sequitur:
She put de lime in de coconut, she drank 'em both up

She put de lime in de coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,
And said, "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?
-- "Coconut" by Nilsson

6 comments:

Zoetawny said...

John's Meat Market looks like a great little store. It's nice to see a privately owned specialty market still exists. My grand father used to own and run a little "mom & pop" grocery store. I still remember all the salami's hanging from the ceiling. LOL We don't have many of those stores left in CA. Great photo!

Looks like this season's TAR is going to be a good one for you, Jackie, considering one of your annoying pick teams is already gone. We're all going to try to guess who that team is before the reveal. ;)

I was surprised to hear on the news that Letterman would be impacted by the strike. I always thought of the show as more live than scripted. Guess DL doesn't write most of his material himself. I also heard that Heroes will be impacted. :( Maybe the strike will be settled soon and won't last too long. I really appreciate your explanation and link about the WGA. I never realized they were treated so inequitably.

Of course I'll be checking your TAR update later tonight. Don't you just love the extra hour we get today? It usually takes me a week to adjust but setting the time forward is always worse.

Ciao!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, I read you blog today about one of the teams you disliked is gone. I am confused (doesnt take much some days) so I went back to your TV squad blog on TAR and reread it. I thought the elimination part of the game was not going to happen anymore. If a team is gone then is it still in the game. Thank you. Karen

Jackie S. said...

Karen - My review of the season premiere itself won't be posted untio about 10 PM ET tonight. What happened is I received an advance copy of the show, so I've already seen the premiere set to air later tonight.

In my TVS article I mentioned that the non-elimination legs won't happen this year. So, all of the legs will result in the elimination of a team ... including tonight.

joy n said...

When I was a kid, there were Meat Markets like John's all over town. They're getting harder and harder to find. I miss the mom and pop stores, too. Usually, the owners knew most everyone's names and didn't care if the kids took forever choosing which penny candy they wanted to spend their nickel's on. Convenience stores are not the same. Ah, well.

I don't get to the theater much anymore either, too noisy, too distracting. But when King's, 'The Mist' comes out on DVD, I'll definitely buy it. I love just about everything he does. I know the stories don't always translate well to the big screen, but I always watch at least once anyways.

TAR should be on soon. Looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I am guessing the 2 lady ministers!! That is my guess for Jackie's dislike and glad they are gone.

1/2 hour late start here....boo football and 60 Minutes!!!

joy n said...

I'm wondering if it's the competitve friends, Shana and Jennifer. But I'm leaning towards the ministers, too.