Sunday, July 24, 2016

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - July 24, 2016

Good morning! Since it's Sunday morning, it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. If you're here for Big Brother news, everything I have for you can be found at this link. I'll be posting another live feeds report later this morning and tonight as well as live-blogging the aired show. But this ain't that. This post is a year-round regular "feature" while Big Brother is a summer obsession. Or, something like that.

I don't have much to report this week. Another week of going back and forth to work and covering BB18 here on the blog. We're in another heat wave here. I made it to the train station and waited for my (delayed) train yesterday when I suddenly got sick -- nauseous, dizzy, etc. I'm thinking it was heat exhaustion. I ended up taking a taxi back home. I slept on and off all day yesterday and feel better today. But I haven't been outside. This whole week sounds like it's going to be heat wave city. I'm not happy.

But I'm happy I'm in here and my air conditioning works just fine!

Onto the photos I took this past week. Clicking on an image will open a larger version.

I'd like a mimosa, please

Um. I was talking the drink, not the flower! Berckman Street, Plainfield.

Monday's full moon

Easter Cicada Killer Wasp

These are so cool! A good part of the coolness is that they have no stinger (male) and pose no threat to me. Bridgewater Train Station.

Flower of the hour peak time

These flowers are fascinating me! Have I mentioned how easily I can get fascinated with nature? For most of the day, they look like a patch of weeds and then, for about an hour daily, the blossoms come out. Bridgewater Train Station. I have another series on them after the jump.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Going Postal

Postal label street art on a metal traffic light switch box on Watchung Avenue in Plainfield. Maybe eventually they'll just hand out those sticky labels at the windows instead of leaving them stockpiled at the counters.

I think he's dead, Jim

I saw what I'm sure is a dead tribble at the Bridgewater Train Station. (No animals were harmed in this photo. It's a faux-fur something or another. Why is it there? I don't know.)

FLOWER OF THE HOUR PHASES
 Hibiscus trionum



These blossoms have passed

About to bloom
***********************************************

Who?

I saw this political button pinned on a tree on East Front Street in Plainfield. I had to look him up. Ah, the Libertarian candidate. I don't think the tree can vote. I don't know why it's wearing the button.

Chicory blossoms

They keep sprouting up between mowing sessions at the Plainfield Train Station.

Latest corridor freebie

This microwave oven sat in the hallway under the mailboxes at my apartment building for two days before someone snagged it. In addition to kids toys, there have been boxes of books, a tall lamp with shelved areas, a case of vials of gingko biloba leaf extract (huh?), a couple chairs and more. As for the microwave, it's probably better than my own. It's certainly newer. My microwave is vintage! Mine is about the same size as this one. But, since I bought it in the late 80s, it only has high, low, defrost and a timer dial for how long to cook. Yet, it has something this one doesn't -- a turntable for cooking more evenly! This was tempting. But I don't know where it's been. I've been telling myself when mine dies, I'll buy a larger one. With food in mind, I'd rather new than abandoned! They're not that costly these days.

I see you looking at me.

Squirrel time out

NJ Transit

If you don't keep your feet off the seats, we will burn you and throw you in the trash!

Actually at the Plainfield Train Station

NJ Transit Police and Plainfield Police have been a bit more actively moving along the street people at the Plainfield Train Station. NJ Transit needs to remove all the baby carriages full of bags stashed throughout the station. If someone ever did want to leave a bomb, they're perfect camouflage. They need to go. Also, if they are removed, perhaps that element won't be hanging around the station panhandling.

Deserted nighttime North Avenue

I always feel like I'm risking my life when I get out of work late and arrive to Plainfield. On Monday night, the streets were all but deserted, probably due to the heat. That's scary in itself as it makes me a prime robbery target for anyone who might be out there. When there are people at that hour, it's mostly from the bar or street people. Sigh. It wasn't bad the last month or so because there were late night doings at the Islamic Center on the corner with families going back and forth. I hate coming home this late here. If I go into the city (NYC) and come home late, I take the bus which drops me off across the street from my apartment. Retirement can't come soon enough. My workplace is putting me in danger, a danger I'd never place myself in.

Vincent in one of his spots

If he can't sit on my lap or shoulder when I'm at my computer, he goes for this chair with a pillow atop it. 

3 comments:

Becky said...

Great photos, Jackie. Love all the flower power ones. I enjoy checking them out. Have a great day, see you tonight.

elee86 said...

Squirrel time out pic is super cute!

Palmaltas said...

Love the photos, Jackie, and I hope you continue to feel better!