Sunday, August 07, 2016

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - August 7, 2016

Good morning! Since it's Sunday morning, it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. If you're here for Big Brother news, everything I have for you can be found at this link. I'll be posting another live feeds report late tonight as well as live-blogging the aired show. But this ain't that. This post is a year-round regular "feature" while Big Brother is a summer obsession. Or, something like that.

We've had another week of on and off super heat, on and off super humidity, on and off super thunderstorms here in New Jersey. I'm over it. Autumn can come anytime now.

I've also been a bit under the weather this week. While I blame the heat for some of it, most of my feeling poorly is due to sciatica. While it's not as bad as it was a few years back when I had severe issues with it, it's bad enough. I'm tempted to get my walker from my knee surgeries back in gear. Ack. And, of course, I've had to go to work every day. I have no doubts that's making it last longer and bother me more. I am SO ready for retirement.

In other news, I briefly caught some National Night Out doings in both Bridgewater and Plainfield on Tuesday evening. But then I went home and spent the night in.

I really don't have much more for you other than the photos. I apologize for being so late with this, but it's here now. Clicking on an image will bring it up in a larger version!

Love me an Eastern Cicada Killer Wasp!

These are fun to photograph as well as to watch. It would be nice some day to photograph the female carrying a paralyzed cicada back to the burrow. But, until then, I'll photograph the males and watch them vie for power. Since they can't sting, they're just plain entertainment for me. Bridgewater Train Station.

American Goldfinch

The American Goldfinch is the State Bird for New Jersey, but I rarely see them. When I do, they're such a delight -- bright yellow, small birds with a lilting song. They like thistle. If I had some outdoor space other than a fire escape, I'd put up a thistle feeder to attract them. As it is, I doubt my landlord or the fire department would want me messing with my fire escape.

By the way, there is an Eastern Cicada Killer Wasp flying in the background, lower left on the photo, just above the thistle.

Police cadets working the crowd

It was so refreshing to see that so many young kids are interested in being a part of the Plainfield Police Cadet program/Mentoring Academy. The class of 40 cadets graduated the program in a ceremony on Friday. But, on National Night Out on Tuesday in Plainfield, they worked the crowds, mingling and setting a good example. Their parents should be proud of them and the kids should be proud of themselves, too. Kudos to the kids involved, their parents and the Plainfield Police Department!

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Plainfield City Hall banner

Crowds are gathering

The TD Ballpark (Somerset Patriots baseball) in Bridgewater had National Night Out festivities on Tuesday as I walked to catch my train home.

The Drum Major?

The Bridgewater National Night Out festivities at the TD Ballpark had a pipe and drum band. When I went by to catch my train home, I could hear the bagpipes playing 'The Caisson Song' on the far side of the train station/ball park parking lot.

Many more people showed up

But I was so tired and beat, plus didn't see anyone other than one police officer I knew, so I stopped by the Plainfield National Night Out festivities early and only stayed about fifteen minutes. I am happy it was a big success!

Whazzat? Paparazzi?

What a little cutie!

Honeybee in flight

Yes, she does have wings. Really. She does.

See! I do have wings!

Using her head

Caught just at the right time!

Last week, I never really caught the flower-of-an-hour blossoms in full strength. Got them this week!

Either opening or closing for the day

I don't know which!


In full bloom

Crow overseeing the taxi commission

A crow atop a light pole near the Plainfield Train Station appears to be keeping an eye on the taxi cab below. 

That crow!

A closer photo of the crow and I messed with editing the shot.

Purple flowers in a planter

Quick! Take it and fly away!

If you really want that, you need to take it and hide before the other birds see you!

Same Cicada Killer, bit different shot

C'mon Vincent, look cute for the camera!

Or just shun the camera. Sheesh, Vincent. What will your internet audience think of you? You're going to get the reputation of being difficult!

4 comments:

Petals said...

Love the pics, Jackie! Beautiful goldfinch :)
Sorry to hear it's your back that has you down. I
don't suffer from back problems, but I know how debilitating
they can be. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Sharon N said...

Ditto... sorry to hear about your back issues Jackie. :(
As a fellow back pain sufferer, I know it can be difficult getting people to realize how much pain you are in. Outwardly, people with back issues look just fine, but the misery is real and it affects just about everything you do, or want to do.

Sharon N said...

As a whole, we don't like the majority of the HGs this season, but I've been thinking....

How different would it be if we had a F3 with NO floaters/competitive losers?
Doubtful that will happen, but if Paulie/Paul/Victor reach F3, that's exactly what we'll have.
James better stop laying-low and start winning some comps, or he's gonna be gone.. soon.

Palmaltas said...

Hope you feel better soon, Jackie. As always love the photos.