Sunday, November 06, 2016

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - November 6, 2016

Good morning! Since it's Sunday morning, it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. This is a regular Sunday part of this blog in addition to the television posts. Right now I'm covering Big Brother: Over the Top daily -- you can find those posts at this link. I'm also live blogging Survivor episodes as they air on Wednesday evenings. Come join the blog parties!

Well, the election will be over in a few days. But we all know that, with all of the issues, it will never be over. No matter who wins, the folks on the side that lost will continue the hate. I'm tired of it all. I fear for the future of the United States and the world on the whole. In addition to society's radical elements and religious zealots, we now have radical political zealots in our midst. Well, many have been vocal for a number of years, now they're coming out of the woodwork. I'm so tired of all of the hate without rationality. 

I was sick most of this past week with a bug that seems to be going around -- very sore throat, fever and no appetite at all. While I'm still not 100%, I've been going to work, missing a few days mid-week. 

This coming week, I only have four work days and a personal day. I'm taking next Saturday off for the Plainfield Public Library Photo Exhibition and Awards. If you're in the area, stop on by and see what Plainfield (and I) can do with our cameras and a theme!

Onto this week's photos ... clicking on an image will open a larger version!    

Despite frost on the pumpkin ...

... the displays still look good in Bridgewater. This past week, the landlord's new public display (whatever) person had benches installed throughout. Very nice!

ATTN: NJ Transit and Plainfield Police!

When I arrived home from work to the Plainfield Train Station on Saturday evening, about 7:45pm, this is what I saw when I opened the elevator door on the Track 2 (eastbound) side. It's bad enough that when I want to go through the tunnel to the other side of the station I have to hold my breath due to the constant stink. But now they've moved in, mattress and all? SERIOUSLY NOW. Something has to be done. Start giving out trespass warnings, then follow through with arrests. This is beyond ridiculous. 

I work for a living. I use the train station. I pay taxes. I'm not responsible for the bad life choices the riff-raff who hang around the train station have made. I fought my own demons in life decades ago and have always worked to keep a roof over my head. I don't squander what little money comes my way in life on drugs and alcohol. In a space such as the Plainfield Train Station, honest working people who actually use NJ Transit should not have to deal with this!

Avoiding the pigeon-neck harvesters

These pigeons heard word on the streets that the next delicacy will be pigeon necks sauteed in a garlic-butter sauce. Necks? We have no necks! Atop the Chotola Apartment building on North Avenue in Plainfield.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Just a bit before sunrise

Bridgewater, New Jersey. No, I'm not standing in the street. There's a curve there. I was on the sidewalk.

From the Plainfield Train Station ...

... before dawn on Monday morning and before the time change. 

Pumpkin display by flash

This was Monday morning just before the dawn.

Reds of Autumn

I never would have predicted ...

For many years, the old Miron furniture warehouse sat empty, boarded up with the fire department's no entry/not safe signs on every exterior wall. The building was crumbling before our very eyes. Then it was bought for luxury condos. Nothing was done. It continued to deteriorate. Then fancy windows were put in ... and that was all for a few more years. Now it's luxury apartments, not condos. The first floor (not residential) continues to have work done. 

I've seen photos of the apartments on Craigslist -- very attractive. And, it's less than a minute's walk to the train station. BUT ... the apartments run more than a hundred dollars more than my own, there's no elevator access, I think tenants pay more utilities than I do, there doesn't seem to be laundry in the units or building (nearest laundromat is a few blocks away) and it's a very sketchy area at night. I've heard one call on the scanner about a vagrant inside the building despite its intercom system and the fact that many of the apartments are still empty. While I think the apartments are indeed gorgeous ... I'll stay where I am. It's a safer neighborhood with a laundry room in the basement and elevators.

Rushing off somewhere!

Oh my gosh, it's a good thing there aren't as many serious fires as there are heavy Plainfield Fire Department response to calls! Don't get me wrong ... I'm glad they react as they do to calls. I'm just happy to see them coming back within minutes with no serious consequence of life. East Second Street and Gavett Place on Saturday morning.

Fall colors in the neighborhood

Autumn is the best season of all!

Crescent Moon

This was Monday's moon as I headed home from work just a bit before dark. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Supermoon and hope we have clear skies for that one. 

It's a hard-knock life ... not!

Perhaps before he met me, perhaps back in the days when he was a stray on the mean streets of NYC, perhaps his days in the loud and nerve-wracking animal shelter system in Spanish Harlem ... but nowadays Vincent surely leads a fine life. I'm pretty sure his only requests would be me home all the time and more mice visiting the apartment.

No comments: