Sunday, September 10, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - September 10, 2017

Good morning! Since it's a Sunday morning, this is my weekly off television topic post taking a look at the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. This weekly post is done year in, year out. Big Brother, the main draw for so many of you, only lasts about three months -- although sometimes it seems to be a lifetime. If you're here solely for the BB posts, please feel free to skip this post. You can find my latest BB19 posts by using this link.

My apologies for not posting last Sunday. I've been under the weather and under severe stress at my workplace. Between that and all of the turmoil of having to filter hate on the BB19 blog posts, I'm wiped. I never understand it when people get so hung up on that show that they have to either love or hate cast members with little leeway for just realizing that the actions of the cast have no effect on their own lives. I see Dingo at Hamsterwatch is pretty much in the same state of mind as I am. But she pretty much does the site for a living. If I had to live off the pennies from my blogging the past few seasons I wouldn't be living. I remember when it used to cover the rent all summer when I got actually paid to write.

Sigh.

At least I'm on my latest staycation this week. I really need it. I wasted most of yesterday napping. Well, I wouldn't call it wasted. It felt good! I'm actually a bit refreshed today!

My thoughts and prayers go out to those being affected by Hurricane Irma. I have relatives and friends living there. Please be safe and update us when you can!

It doesn't seem right, but our weather here is glorious -- dry, beautiful blue skies and daytime temperatures in the 70s. That's my favorite kind of weather. It's been dipping down a bit low during the overnights, but I can cope with that.

Onto this week's photos (with a few from the week before) --

A marvelous marigold blossom

As seen in Bridgewater, NJ.

The I See Dead People saga continues

This past week a silly college girl made social media and news reports because she ended up waking up in the Raritan train yard on a parked train. The Raritan Valley Line isn't a tremendously long trip end to end. People, especially those unfamiliar with the train system, either need to stay awake or set their phone alarm to wake up before their expected stop. Or, even ASK the conductor questions -- let them know you're not familiar with train travel. Every conductor I know on the line would be glad to help you out if you ASK. But don't expect them to just babysit you. I do know from knowing the conductors that suspension is probable for the conductor who's responsible if a passenger is left on the train at the train yard. Yes, they are indeed responsible to make sure no one remains on the train. They screwed up. But, so did the girl. She's lucky the lights were still on.

Kousa Dogwood last week

The Kousa Dogwood tree at the Plainfield Train Station has started bearing fruit. This is actually a shot that I didn't post last week. The fruits are all red now and getting bigger.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Still brilliant marigolds

They like the rain we've had

Hanging in there

The Flower of an Hour blossoms are gone here in Plainfield where I planted the seeds. Yet some are still blossoming for their hour daily nearby the Bridgewater Train Station.

The Kousa fruit this week

Odd flagpole

Okay, I'm just totally not understanding why this is. I could see it from the Bridgewater Train Station -- a huge cherrypicker doohickey dangling a flag over Route 287. It's been there for days now.
 

Closing time

1942 pigeons

Well, the bridge they're resting on is 1942 anyway! And, it's showing its age. NJ Transit should address the issues before it crumbles away. The metal plate covering one hole now has the edges around it showing more wear. If I fall through there, it will be lawsuit city. Bridgewater Train Station.

Just some small mushrooms

A mulchroom

Yes, you look very fat in this shot

One of this spring's new generation

Fly away, pigeons! Fly!

Pigeons fly in front of the slow-moving NJ Transit 59 bus at the corner of Gavett and North in Plainfield.

Back fence morning glory

The back fence of my apartment building's parking lot is still dotted with the brilliant pink morning glory blossoms. I haven't seen any of the white blossoms in over a month now.

Flower of an Hour, time's up!

If I had the time and the proper equipment, I'd love to do a time lapse bit with these. I'm constantly amazed by nature.

Just a mushroom

Despite all the rain we've had this summer, I really haven't seen as many mushrooms as I expected. But it's greener this season going into autumn than I ever can recall it being around this area.


I see three dead people

Heck, this time I even know one. (Thankfully she doesn't read this blog!) It's unlike Phyllis to sleep on the train. But she works overnight in Manhattan and this train ends at her stop -- it doesn't go to the train yard for the night until it's nighttime! But this could be a horror story ... maybe they're all gassed and I'm the only one alive on the train! EEEK! Heh.


Living the good life

Vincent's "birthday" -- actually his adoption from the New York City Animal Care and Control shelter -- will be on Tuesday. I adopted him on 9/12/09. It's hard to believe he's been my companion for eight years now. Supposedly he was estimated to be about five years old when adopted. I still think they were a couple years off. So, he's either 13 or a couple of years younger now. He still acts like a five year old!

4 comments:

Nickelpeed said...

Love your pictures, Jackie. The marigolds are pretty. I'd be like those "I see dead people" on the train if I had to get up that early. I'm just not a morning person. I'd also be like that on the way home from work. LOL.

I hope this week off helps you get the rest you need. I hope you start feeling much better.

Vincent looks very young. Such a very pretty cat. He's got it made with you!!!

Cheryl in NC said...

Love Your Sunday posts and pics. Don't know how you do it all!! And do it all so well! "Dead people on the train" cracks me up every time. Enjoy your staycation( isn't this usually when you come to the beach in NC?)Hope you get some much needed rest!Thanks for keeping us entertained!

Anonymous said...

If it's true that the behavior of contestants on a show have no personal effect on you, then why let comments that appear on the blog concern you? The objective of TV programmers is to "hook" viewers and draw them in, so an emotional response from fans of the show, especially to a cast of characters like these, should come as no surprise. Since you can ignore Paul and company, disregarding comments about them should come with the territory.

auntlisa3 said...

Maybe they hung that flag up early for 9/11.