Sunday, September 24, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - September 24, 2017

Good morning! Since it's a Sunday morning, it's time for my off television topic reflection of the week gone by in both words and photos I've taken along the way. If you're not interested in either, please feel free to check out my previous and newer posts I will put up after this -- they will be television related!

If you want to be in on the blog pool for the upcoming Survivor season, you need to head to this linked post and sign up only there by Tuesday! Every season we get folks trying to sign up after the cut-off, including some of the very regular blog commenters. PLEASE! C'mon, you know the show is coming. If you want in on the blog pool, PLEASE sign up on time! Laurie is kind enough to be running the pool and really does have the right to say no to stragglers after the cut-off!

I'm so thankful the latest season of Big Brother is over. Several of the long standing BB fan communities have given up -- even Hamsterwatch is about ready to throw in the towel. I don't think she will, but you never know. She certainly earns more money off the show than I do. I don't have the capability to sell CBS Access with a cut for myself. There was a time when, with the paying writing gig, BB paid my rent all summer. Not so these days and this season was more headache than fun for me. Because of the issues this summer, I will be implementing a few ground rules for posting comments on future show posts.

In other stuff, my week back to work from vacation was about what I expected -- chaos, disorganization and more. For decades I had planned to retire on my most recent birthday. I just don't dare do it due to the cost of health insurance. While I would have my pension, my 401K, Social Security and a great discount on life insurance from my company ... the group health insurance would vanish and Medicare wouldn't kick in for three years. It all feels so defeating.

Sigh.

Oh, well. Onto the photos I took this past week -- at least I didn't accidentally delete them from my memory card like I did last week. 


I met a praying mantis

Oh, well. Maybe it's a preying mantis. Either way, it was HUGE -- longer than my entire hand. While I fear its days may be numbered, it was alert enough to follow my camera and my movements with its eyes. This was on the fence netting by the TD Ball Park in Bridgewater adjacent to the train station. When I walked through after work, it was gone.

Hanging in there

While there were dozens of flower of an hour blossoms a month ago, only a few still blossom today.

Let there be lights

One morning at the Plainfield Train Station, I saw all the lamps lighted on the eastbound platform. An NJ Transit dude was (finally) replacing the burnt out bulbs. I used to be enthralled taking photos of the lamps. But, the neglect in replacing knocked-down poles and bulbs over the last several years, plus the influx of ne'er-do-wells hanging out at the station, have inhibited my photos of the station.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

I don't have their undivided attention

Just two little birds

Morning glories gone wild

This is the fence at the back of my apartment building.

Pigeon hierarchy

Atop the Chotola Apartments on North Avenue in Plainfield.

Glorious

Looking up at the morning glory blossoms on a sunny morning.

Let resting pigeons lie

A young pigeon resting in a corner of the overpass at the Bridgewater Train Station.

The NJ Transit Lightman Cometh ...

Hmm ...

The replacement bulbs are more cylindrical and whiter than the old ones. The other ones were more of a mercury vapor type yellow glow.  That will still mess with my symmetry unless I go black and white.

Who's that cat?!?!

Why, it's a VINCENT! He's doing one of the things he does best ... napping. He also could possibly hold the world's record for purring.

7 comments:

~~Silk said...

Interesting photos, as usual. Those tiny birds don't look like they're ready to leave the nest yet! I hope their mommy is still watching over them.

Sharon N said...

"Pigeon hierarchy" made me laugh right out loud. And look at those flowers!! It's incredible that you still have 'summer' flowers.

A storm moved in here yesterday, and last night, we had booming thunder and lightning crashing so close that it felt like it was hitting in our front yard! It's looking like we might have an early winter arriving, but hope there's no snow before a trip to Breckenridge next weekend!

re: BB.
It's my hope that I haven't been a big contributor to making the blog so unpleasant for you this summer. If so, I'd like to offer my sincere apology.

The last few years, it seems like BB has had a lot of 'recruited' HGs. They have no clue how the game is played and, in reality, don't care because they don't study the game before entering the house. They are only looking for an 'in-road' that might possibly lead to some kind of fame and don't really care how they portray themselves. Their antics/bad behavior have brought out the worst in some of us too. :(

Survivor... coming right up!!




Anonymous said...

Jackie, I wish you had had a better summer and birthday this year. I love your blog and hope that I haven't contributed to any distress it may have caused you this BB season. xo

The pictures are great. I stop in to see how your week has gone to get a gimpse of your happenings.

I have a lot of my end of season flowers making a resurgence and go outside and scratch my head. I have left my difficult garden projects for late September and the cooler weather only to be bombarded by heat, bees, and wasps this weekend.

I hope you had an enjoayable day and that your week to come goes smoothly.

Take care

BATmusic said...

I’m mostly a lurker. I comment about once every five seasons or so. I remember being able to donate to you. Could you share that information for those of us who really appreciate all of your dedication to the B.B. fans?

Jackie S. said...

Thank you all for the kind comments!

And, BAT - there is a Donate button (via Paypal) on the right sidebar of the blog. Of course, donations are always welcome!

BATmusic said...

I always view the blog on mobile. After your comment, I went to the web version instead of mobile. The donate button is not visible on the mobile version. Guess I should’ve checked there before. Thank you.

Nickelpeed said...

I echo every one else. THANK YOU for all the time you have put in to this blog. I hope I have not cause you too much heartburn.

Just love your picture. And, love your praying mantis. He's pretty. My daughter has had praying mantises as "pets". She's had a Chinese praying mantis male. Huge green thing. And a beautiful Orchid Praying Mantis. She was beautiful. Insects are interesting, except spiders and flies. LOL

Can't wait until tonight. SURVIVOR'S BACK!!! YES!!