Sunday, November 05, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - November 5, 2017

Good morning! Since it's a Sunday morning, it's time for my off television topic reflection of the week gone by in both words and photos I've taken along the way. If you're not interested in either, please feel free to check out my previous and newer posts I will put up after this -- they will be television related! You can find my Survivor posts at this link.

This past week included Halloween. I kept to my record of never having kids come to my door since I've lived in this building -- 18 years! Now, there are indeed too many kids living here for it being mostly one-bedroom apartments with supposedly a limit of two tenants in them. But the kids do know me and, even though I speak to them about playing in the hallway, they seem to like me and trust me anyway. (Just my luck!) Yet, no one trick or treats within the building. Oh, well. Each year I buy candy I like just in case someone comes by. All the more KitKat bars for me this year!

Other than Halloween and work, not much is going on in my life right now. Same old, same old. I'll be happy once we vote on Tuesday no matter who wins what -- I'm sick of all of the election junk mail in my mailbox! Although, I must say, I'm happy that there will be a new governor for New Jersey. I never cared for Chris Christie. He always comes across as a rather obnoxious bully to me. Perhaps he's not such, but I always get that feeling whenever I see him.

After our non-ending heavy rain and wind at the beginning of the week, we have had pretty nice weather. When you compare it to Hurricane (Superstorm) Sandy of five years ago or the seven-inch snowstorm the year before that, the weather has been gorgeous! The kids had a bit chilly Halloween, but it was sunny and clear and the power was on. We had a few really warm days this week, but now we're heading into more seasonal temperatures. That's fine by me. I do like a chill in the air. 

Onto the photos I took this past week -- clicking on an image will open a larger version ...

Heading to work

My NJ Transit train arrives at the Plainfield Train Station on Saturday morning.

Gotta love it!

I stopped into my local bodega on my way home from work on Halloween evening. These three also stopped in there. They had gone all out on their costumes -- I found it refreshing that young teens are still into the fun of the day! If their parents happen to see this, you've raised some friendly and polite children. I'm thinking they probably felt too old for the Trunk or Treat at City Hall, but made their own Halloween a happening.

The Beaver Moon

It actually went full sometime during Friday night. I took this shot last night (Saturday). I'll trap the moon with my camera, but I won't go out trapping beavers.

Flags, Flakes and Bikes

Saturday morning, before cars took over Watchung Avenue, a herd of bicyclists took over the street. All in all, there were a good dozen of more bikers racing through. Oh. And I guess it's Christmas season now. Way too early! Plainfield.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Oh my

Hamming for the camera

He actually should be behind the counter at the local bodega, but I caught him outside. A new owner of the building decided to paint it from bodega yellow to blah beige. At least the same father and son (above) are still running the show inside. They're good people.

Taking a photo of taking a photo

I took this shot out the car window in Bound Brook on Halloween. Who's having more fun? Why, I think it's the Moms!

In the dense fog

This shot is actually in color, believe it or not! The fog one morning made all just a bit surreal. Bridgewater, NJ

We have us some color

This tree, on the Friends (Quakers) Meeting House property next to the main Post Office on Watchung Avenue, still isn't back to its pre-Sandy days in full glory, but it still gets colorful. Of course, the season isn't just one of falling leaves -- it's also the season of the non-stop annoying leaf blowers.

Vincent would freak out!

My gosh ... if these birds gathered on my windows, Vincent would be going crazy! Every now and then a bird will make the mistake of landing on the outside windowsill at my place. Vincent flies across the room to get at them. Obviously, due to either screens or the windows themselves, he can't get them. This window belongs to the Chotola Apartment building on North Avenue in Plainfield.

Short sleeves and snowflakes

Watchung Avenue in Plainfield.

Saturday morning sidewalk

The flakes are out downtown. I mean the decorations. Of course. Watchung Avenue on Saturday morning.

Coins in a fountain

I posted this shot for a black and white photo challenge on Facebook. I don't believe I ever posted it here before, so I'm sharing it now. I took it in Scotch Plains on a sunny day.

So sweet, so innocent ...

... when he's asleep or wants to be sweet and innocent! Trust me, he does have his crazy times and moods. But he's my best friend and companion. After all, he puts up with me.

2 comments:

Palmaltas said...

Love the photos! We are finally getting some color in our leaves but mostly just dead brown and rust.

Sharon N said...

So strange to still see you are still able to get pictures of fall color. Nice pictures of the Halloween teens, and I'll bet you let them know how polite you thought they were also. I'm a firm believer in acknowledging good behavior in young people... and letting their parents know whenever possible.

A couple of nights ago, high-winds showed up and the vast majority of Fall color is gone around here now. On Friday, the yard maintenance people had just done their mow-n-blow, but it wasn't long before more leaves coated the yard again. Then those fierce winds blew all night long and took the leaves... somewhere.

Now we are expecting snow this week. I know it's needed to help increase the water-table, but I'm just not ready for winter, or snow... not after barely having summer. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing good about winter is college hockey.

Every year, my sis her husband donate to many charities, as well as to their chosen political party. Makes for a nice tax write-off for them, but of course, that means our home phone rings off the hook with calls requesting they donate more. We have a rule that donations will never happen over a phone call. Then I found a set of Panasonic phones (at SAMS) last week and it has a 'call block' much like on cell phones. You wouldn't believe how quiet our home phones have gotten... YAY!!! It's bliss...