Sunday, November 26, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - November 26, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving 2008 photo HTG-Jackie-08MA26318822-0001.gif

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and a great holiday weekend (if you had one of those)! I'm thankful for all of the loyal blog readers out there -- many have also become my friends, too -- who have followed this blog year in, year out ... even when Big Brother isn't in season! Safe travels to all heading home this evening.

Since it's a Sunday morning, it's time for my off television topic reflection of the week gone by in both words and photos I've taken along the way. If you're not interested in either, please feel free to check out my previous and newer posts I will put up after this -- they will be television related! You can find my Survivor posts at this link.

I actually had two days off from work in a row this week -- a rarity in my life. True to form as of late, I spent a lot of time napping on the first day off. The days off in a row were Wednesday and Thursday. My third day off during the holiday week was the Sunday leading into the week. 

While the two days in a row off were nice, it's not enough time to even travel up to my nearest relative in upstate New York for the holiday. I had to be to work Friday morning (and Saturday, too). So, it was a solitary, with the exception of Vincent the Cat, holiday for me. I'm used to it. I often do get invitations to join in at local friends. But I feel it's uncomfortable to intrude on family gatherings when I'm not family. I don't like eating with a crowd of strangers where I might only know one or two people. I prefer to be alone rather than to do that.

On Thanksgiving, I made myself a little feast -- turkey breast, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, asparagus and a Mrs. Smith's apple pie for dessert. Heck, the rest of the stuff was more work than I usually do, no way would I throw in a homemade pie! I had/have enough leftovers to last me through the weekend so I didn't/don't have to cook for four days after my big kitchen doings. I spent a good part of the day binge-watching The Sopranos on Amazon Prime. After all, that's a family-related show, right? Right? Heh. It's even a New Jersey family! But, I'll admit I don't know anyone in the mob in NJ. I did know some in both New York and Connecticut. But I'm not part of those families, mind you.

What else? Oh, here's a bit of urban life in New Jersey for you ...
I was waiting for the bus to get across town one evening after work. A street kind of guy pushing a bike stopped to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving. He showed me his tire was flat. Um. Okay. What do you want, dude? He showed me the glue and patches for the tire from his pocket. But then he hit me up. He only had a dime and the cheapest air is 35 cents. Oh, well. It's a quarter. I gave him one. We commiserated a bit about how air used to be free and it no longer is such. As he parted, he told me he shoplifted the glue and patches from the store down the street. ACK! I felt like an accomplice after the fact! Thankfully, my bus came shortly afterwards. I cannot fall into a life of crime in my advanced years!

I'm thankful that the guy upstairs went away for the holiday weekend. The quiet is nice. He's had his loud visitors there for the past few weeks and I meant to call the landlord about his extremely loud stereo on Monday this past week, but I forgot. 

Onto the photos for this week. I don't have a lot of them for you and many were taken with the cell phone rather than the camera. The moon shot was the camera. I can't get the cell phone to focus on that.  

Okay, train station. I'm here.

Train be on time. A friend often drives me in these days when our work schedules mesh. However, she had a four day weekend. I didn't. Taking the train on random days the past few weeks has made me late to work twice even though I should have an "early cushion" with the departures. I'm not happy about that. I always plan to be early and NJT makes me late. I'm always at the train station early to catch my train. The least they could do is run vaguely on time!

Friday's moon

You know I can't resist shooting the moon. Had I been out about four hours later, some meteors streaked through the New Jersey skies.

Chotola Pigeon Gathering

Pigeons often line the roof at the front of the Chotola Apartment Building on North Avenue in Plainfield. When I feel I have little photo inspiration while across the street waiting for my train, I turn to them. I often wonder what the building was like in its heyday or what the apartments look like inside. But I wouldn't want to live there even though it's so close to the train. I prefer to live where I don't have to worry about the denizens of the night ... even in the daytime.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Almost empty train

While my trains heading home from work -- going towards NYC -- were quite full with tourists, people who have never been on NJT, etc., my Friday and Saturday trains to work (heading west) were all but empty. I actually prefer empty.

Herd of pigeons in flight

Okay. I know it's not a herd. But, there they are.

I'll sneak up on him

"I think he sees you."

Burning bush

I don't really know what these bushes are, but I've heard them referred to as "burning bushes" this time of year. Right now they're in their glory before the leaves all leave. They're about the only real color now as most trees are past peak foliage-wise.

Holiday hat time at work

No, I didn't partake. Heck, even Joe (above) ended up taking off his hat claiming he lost his holiday spirit for the day. And, his hat fit. I refused to wear antlers. I don't do antlers.

Pink sunset

Not the best shot of it. Done with my cell phone.

Closer shot of the burning bush

I'm surrounded!

I arrived at the train station about twenty minutes early one day. There were about 100 pigeons and starlings feasting on some kind of crumbs in front of the bench where I sat for a bit. They didn't fly away as I walked through them to the bench. But they all took off at once when a loud truck drove by. It made me jump! Note that they are hanging together yet they're not of a feather. Watchung and North in Plainfield.

Sure ...

... the day I have a forty-minute early cushion to arrive at work on time, the train arrives a minute early! Plainfield Train Station.

Oh, Vincent!

I know you're not asleep! Open those gorgeous green eyes for everyone! No? Okay. Be persnickety. You're still my best buddy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you. I don't like to go to other people's houses for holidays. I would rather do my own thing. Living alone is not a bad thing, and I actually prefer it. My own menu and tv choices for the holidays.

Russ said...

I'm not a terribly sociable person, but I have learned to appreciate the rare occasions that I get to see people. I wish that you could come up here for Thanksgiving, but I know that your work schedule will not allow. And so it is that the only "Big Brother" you get to see is the tv show... We too had a quiet day at home... honey chicken, "baked" (microwaved) sweet potato, Butternut Squash bread, corn bread, cranberry sauce and apple cream pie (Mom's recipe) for desert... though we are going over to Mary Ann's later for a more traditional gathering.
All those pictures of pigeons have me wondering how tasty squab really is...

monica said...

Your cell takes decent photos.
I have always called it a "burning bush" & it's about the only color left in my area. I can't remember the official name but it has one!
I see that Vincent boy. Yes I do:)

Jackie S. said...

Russ, you always have "we" for the holidays. I don't. It's a totally different world.

Sharon N said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Jackie.

You've a kind heart. With that 'street' guy's parting shot, you're probably lucky he didn't mug you for the quarter!! LOL