Sunday, December 24, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week(s) It Was - December 24, 2017

An oldie, but a goodie

I'm not sure where the Santa suit is these days. Vincent probably destroyed it!

Happy Holidays! photo HapHolidaysLgJackie09.gif


Another oldie, but goodie. This was created some years back for the blog by Zoetawny. I miss her! Not quite the best photo of Vincent, though.

I apologize for my absence the past few weeks with the exception of covering Survivor. I've had a mix of bad health issues, overwork and severe stress on my job, a lost camera memory card and, to be honest, the holidays in general aren't a good time of the year for me. They were great when I was a child and I do have precious memories of those days. 

Tomorrow I'll cook the small ham I bought on sale, make some side dishes and bake the Mrs. Smith's apple pie to round out my feast. Vincent and I will be alone for the day. That's been the story of my big holiday doings for most of my life. Well, not always with Vincent, but with a cat or two. Oh, well. It could be worse. I could have to work. I've had to do that some Christmas days in the past.

I hope those of you with families and loved ones have a good Christmas -- but try not to overeat!

The majority of the photos this week were taken with my cell phone camera. Although I have a different memory card in my camera, I just didn't see much in the way of photos to take this past week.

Brightly lighted these days

The white lighting at the Plainfield Train Station does seem to cut down on the vagrants hanging out at night. Yet, they're still there in the daytime.

Crescent moon

My camera picks up detail not noticed by the naked eye. You can actually see the whole moon, even a touch of detail with the markings.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

While we're not having a white Christmas around here (unless it snows Christmas day, a slight possibility), we had a white pre-Christmas.

We were white

Sit right down

They chopped the sea grass

Snow in da 'hood

I gotta get outta here ...

... if it's the last thing I ever do ...

Just looking out the train window

Vincent's silly

But he's so darned lovable!

8 comments:

monica said...

Everything changes as we grow older. Christmas memories from childhood are some of my favorites. You really can't out do those.
Merry Christmas to you and Vincent.
I hope your week is good.
Monica

SueGee said...

Merry Christmas to you and Vincent! Thanks for all you do and what you share with us.

SueGee from the Left Coast

Jackie S. said...

Monica - At least most people have a family of some sort. I spend every Christmas alone and tired. I'm not looking to outdo my childhood holidays.

Sharon N said...

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas Jackie and Vincent. Hopefully, the new year will bring you improved health and happiness. I wish you well and know we all appreciate everything you do!

I live with my sister and brother-in-law and we do minimal decorating. We also stopped exchanging gifts a few years ago since we have all we need. Christmas Eve is always quiet and just the 3 of us. However, my 2nd born daughter has all the family over for Christmas Day dinner, and there will be 13 this year. After being there most of the day with all the hub-bub, I'm normally ready to head soon after dinner... put the ol' feet up and relax!! lol

Jackie S. said...

My holidays aren't bound to be happy. This isn't a good time of year for me. But I do wish the best for others.

Russ said...

Know that you are not alone in your feelings about Christmas and holidays, in general. With absent (deceased) family and friends along with those of us who are barely managing to scratch out a life for ourselves. We have our memories and that is good and then, we have the present day world that we live in... Much of what we knew, distant past... Some of us don't even really have that anymore... Have the best Christmas that you can... I wish that you and Bryan could be here... And yes, Vincent is more than welcome! Love, Russ

Unknown said...

It's a hard time of year for many people. This is when you realize who isn't around for the holidays. Like you, I spent many Christmas's alone. I'm not sure, still, which I prefer.I have baked and made candy for the last few days for family and friends. I will stuff the turkey and put it in, go out and shovel and come back in vacuum. My son and his S.O. and her son are coming over around two. When they leave I will go to my sister-in-law's to see other family. I think when it's all over I will hermit up for about a week since it will be really cold out. Maybe I'm lazy, but at my age, I like the quiet. I wish you a Merry Christmas. Try to pluck out the good memories and relax.

auntlisa3 said...

I'm sorry you never found your memory card. The holidays are hard for me too. Even though I usually have at least one party to go to and I try to enjoy the goodies of the season, it sometimes really sucks being alone. Especially if one is left out of something(s) one expected to be a part of. We've got snow (what's so great about a white Christmas, people LIKE to have to drive in this stuff?) but it seems to be the best (self-melting) kind. Think I'll stay home today (not that there's much open anyway), watch another movie & maybe get some of my prints away. (I used to be so good at that, in the pre-digital age. Now there's so rush. Why am I even still doing it?)