Sunday, September 30, 2018

Off Topic: About the photos (or lack thereof)

People have been mentioning that they miss my off television topic weekly photo posts. To be honest, I miss doing them. Even the year or more leading into my back surgery, I was taking fewer and fewer photos because I just wasn't able to get around well. My photos got so they were solely my commute to work and, at least at the Plainfield end, I wasn't even walking to the train station any longer. I didn't enter the local library photo contest last year or this year mainly because they ask that the photos be no older than two years. I just haven't been taking many photos in town at all during the past few years.

Since mid-January when I last worked, I've only been going to doctor visits, a surgery, more doctor visits, physical therapy ... you get the idea. I haven't felt like lugging more weight than I have to back and forth. So, what few photos I've taken during the months have been with my cell phone. I only had my real camera with me a few times during this time.

So, how am I? Hmm. Well, I'm better than I was -- the horrible nerve pain is gone. However, with my latest neurosurgeon visit, when I asked about work, I was told (rather emphatically), "No way!" While the back surgery I had worked for what was corrected, I apparently waited far too long before seeking medical help. I have what might be permanent nerve damage in one leg, along with muscle damage. I'm a fall hazard! Oh noes! Right now I'm waiting for the arrival of a custom made leg brace to aid me in that issue. But, I'm still having problems walking a block or standing upright for more than ten minutes or so. I get a shaky leg and severe back pain higher up than where I had the surgery done. The MRI I had taken pre-surgery noted moderate to severe spinal stenosis throughout my lumbar spine, along with some other pretty major issues.

I'm awaiting approval for long-term disability through my workplace. My short-term disability ended in mid-July. The problems I have with my back are on the listing for Social Security Disability. But I would like to have my long-term approved so I have some money coming in. It's a good thing I don't feel up to going anywhere because I have to watch my money. I'll be going back to the neurosurgeon for another follow-up in the beginning of November. I will know more by then as far as insurance, disability, how the leg brace works, etc.

All that said, I don't miss the stress and drama of working all the time. The past few years, I basically came home exhausted and not feeling well every day. If I have to not feel well, I'd rather do it at home reading or binge-watching television shows! Although I sometimes have bad nights pain-wise and don't sleep well, I've rediscovered what it's actually like to have an eight hours of sleep kind of night! I feel fatigued easily but that would be so much worse trying to work,

Enough about all that ... onto the photos I'm presenting to you this week! No, these aren't recent ones. This week I'm focusing on shots I took around Plainfield. And, but of course, a Vincent photo at the end.

Early morning gray skies

Pre-dawn Hugo's bar

Lamp on the YWCA building

Springtime on Church Street

Autumn on Park Avenue

Plainfield Train Station

Then there's Vincent

10 comments:

mindy said...

I hope you heal well enough to venture out for your own photography hobby. And also that you are approved for LTD, and probably eventually SSDI. Sounds like work might be done for you, I hope you can still get out a bit and enjoy life. Take care of yourself.

Grove Wiley said...

(((Jackie))) At one point in my life, several years back I needed to be on SSDI, and it certainly seems like you qualify. It's a safety net that we pay into. I hope that your pain decreases as time goes by! And I know: your photo creativity is just lying dormant for now. It will return in full force. You could make some weeds outside your apartment look beautiful! :-)

Sharon N said...

Jackie,

My favorite pictures today are the "gray skies" and the "springtime."
Gray skies says "October"... and eerie like Halloween!!

Thanks for catching us up on your condition. With how you are feeling now, I can only imagine how bad the pain was pre-surgery. And I agree with Mindy that it sounds like you are headed for SSDI.

Hopefully, with time, some of the pain and weakness will dissipate. I know you will eventually begin to enjoy life again and find ways to continue your photography hobby.

It can be difficult to explain back/hip/leg pain to someone who has never had a similar condition. Maybe because we "look just fine" on the exterior? Extreme Spinal Stenosis, along with the nerve damage, makes walking short distances or standing for any length of time very painful.

It may not seem like it right now, but as you heal, vacations won't be out of the question, though it does sound like a lot of walking will continue to be your nemesis. However, you'll find taking viewing bus-tours an acceptable alternative... so you should still be able to take photos. :)






Petals said...

I love your streetlight photo.

I will pray that you feel better soon.

Auntie Leigh said...

I loved seeing Vincent the most. It is good you caught us up on how you are. ((hugs))

Jackie S. said...

Ohhh ... I'm so not a bus tour kind of person! I'm kind of a solitary photographer.

Thank you all for the kind words!

MikesGirl said...

I missed reading your weekly blog. It was nice to have it back if only for today. Have a good week!
Kim

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update on your health. Hopefully with time, you will have some relief from some of your pain. Best wishes to you. Love your photos. Lanell

Anonymous said...

Even though, I didn't comment, I looked forward to your weekly post and your pictures. At some point you will feel better and the "hobby" that you, seemingly, loved will once again be a part of your life. You are in my prayers.

Margaret Lewis

monty924 said...

Thank you Jackie for sharing these photos. I too have missed your weekly off-topic posts but completely understand why you haven't had them for a while. Brings back memories of waking up on Sundays to read your posts and enjoy your pictures!!