Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Survivor 40: Winners at War Season Premiere Blog Party


Okay, we have 20 previous first place winners playing this season. They know how to outwit, outplay and outlast. They've done it before. While I'm eager to see them compete against each other, before seeing how things are going to go down, I want to whine about twists. Isn't it enough to have this bunch competing against each other?

Noooo ... they're dragging in Island of Extinction, some odd fire token twist and, if memory serves from something I read, although there are two tribes, it's one camp. I might be wrong about the last. I hope so! 

As the show airs, I'll do my best to update this entry during the two-hour premiere as it airs here on the East Coast. Refresh the page to get the latest news. As always, the real party is in the comments area feel free to join in on the fun!

A blog pool message from the beloved Lifeguard Laurie -- Nobody goes home tonight. They go to a team with only one person.
Nobody has a bad pick this time!!

And, without further ado, here's the blog pool:


DAKAL (Red tribe)
Amber Mariano - Delee, Glenn Allen
Kim Spradlin-Wolfe - Dr_Celine
Nick Wilson - Barbara BW, Judi Sweeney
Sandra Diaz-Twine - tbe
Sarah Lacina - SueGee, Cheryl in NC
Sophie Clarke - ChicMc
Tony Vlachos - Karen in CA, Donna in Alabama
Tyson Apostol -Janice
Wendell Holland - Nickelpeed, PDX Granny
Yul Kwon - Ed in Ohio

SELE (Blue tribe)
Adam Klein - Lifeguard Laurie, Petals
Ben Driebergen - Rbennie, Shannon
Danni Boatwright - Jennasmom
Denise Stapley - Becky, Jennifer
Ethan Zohn - Rochelle, Jackie
Jeremy Collins - Sharon N
Michele Fitzgerald -Terry is a Texan
Natalie Anderson - Nana in the NW
Parvati Shallow - Donna in FL
Rob Mariano - Auntie Leigh

Survivor fans ready?


Of course, starting off we're getting snippets from all the castaways.. They're cruising in to meet Jeff. The men arrive first, then the women. Jeff is making it sound like it's going to be men against women. Now we're getting snippets of each talking to Jeff.

They get an actual champagne toast to celebrate -- "A drink before war is always a good idea." Into the tribe reveal. (You can see the tribes in the pool listing above.)

Jeff tells them they each start with a fire token. If they're voted out they need to will their tokens to someone and then they're sent to Extinction Island. He gets cheers when he announces the prize is two million dollars. (Like they didn't know.)

They are already in a challenge. It's Reward (flint) and Immunity. Racing out in teams of two through water retrieving a ring and having to put hand on pole. The teams race and wrassle for control of the ring.

DAKAL wins Immunity!

Jeff tells Seles that Tribal Council will be the next night, not this night.

The fire tokens can be used as a bit of currency for food and more.

Uh-oh -- Denise and Adam put targets on their backs by wandering off together.

Tony plans on a more mellow approach and gaining trust. Amber feels she needs to find an idol. Rob and Parvati want to work together? Oh my. Ben spills the beans to Rob that Danni was throwing his name out. Rob goes to Danni and she does confirm it. Now will there be an Old School Alliance? Rob, Parvati, Ethan, Danni?

Ben warned Adam that his walk with Denise looked bad and now his name is out there. Adam thinks that Natalie and Jeremy should be split up because they're so close. So now it might be Adam, Denise, Jeremy or Natalie voted out. Rob and Parvati are shocked that they're not looking like the latest targets.

Tribal Council time is here! Jeff asks Ethan about the culture shock. Ethan says his season was glacier speed. Denise tells Jeff that she and Adam got lost looking for water and it looked bad. There were whispers with subtitles but I didn't catch them. Wah. Time to vote.

The tally after commercial.

Denise, Adam, Denise, Natalie, Natalie, Natalie, Natalie. Natalie

Like her sister, Nadiya, now Natalie is voted out first. She heads to Extinction Island. I'm sure she'll leave her fire token to Jeremy. Once there she reads that she can earn fire tokens to help her get back into the game. She also reads that she can quit and go home.

Sandra is so ticked that Rob lied to her saying he would never come back. She's willing to take revenge on Amber because Rob is on the other tribe.

Back on Seles it looks like the New Schoolers are going to challenge the Old Schoolers. And, yes, Natalie did leave Jeremy her fire token. 


On Extinction Natalike reads a list of what can be bought with tokens from idols to advantages. She finds a bottle with gives her directions to start looking for a token. She finds an immunity idol, no value on beach, but can trade for a token from someone coming to Extinction. If the idol does make it back into the game, it's good for three tribals.

Second immunity challenge time. Paddle out, retrieve bag of number tiles, back over obstacles, combination lock to retrieve rings to throw on paddles. Three wins. 

SELE wins immunity!

Yul thinks people should be civilized. Amber, Nick, Sandra, Tyson are some of the names mentioned. Wait, throw Tony in there, too. Whoa ... Sandra finds the Extinction idol and buys it with her fire token! Tony is trying to orchestrate a Tyson ouster. Yul tells Tyson that Amber or Kim are possibilities. It dawns on Tyson that his poker playing with buddies Rob and Amber might put a target on his own back. Kim was also part of that poker bunch. Uh-oh!

To the second Tribal Council of the night. The Jeff questions are similar to the last one -- asking about how fast the game is moving compared to more recent seasons. The Poker Player Alliance is brought up. 

Time to vote ... we only have seven minutes of show left. Hmm.

The tally ... Sandra does not play the idol.

Nick, Kim, Kim, Kim, Amber, Amber, Amber, Amber, Amber.

Amber is gonzo. 

142 comments:

Nickelpeed said...

I'm going to jump in now. I am so excited for this season.

Thank you, Jackie for giving us a place to talk.

Hi to everyone who follows!!

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Jackie and everyone that follows. Thank you again for doing the pool Jackie and Laurie. I am excited to get Amber as my Pool pick.

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Penny .

Nickelpeed said...

Hi Glenn

jennifer said...

Hi Jackie! Hi everyone!!! Happy to make a slash!!

Nickelpeed said...

I'm wondering who's getting voted off first.

jennifer said...

*splash

Nickelpeed said...

Hi Jennifer.

jennifer said...

Oh my goodness.... I want to be there !!

Cheryl in NC said...

Hey Jackie and everyone!

Laurie said...

Hi every one. I don't see the show until 8 Pacific time, but I'll hang out for a bit to make sure you are all following the pool rules.
Have fun
Keep it clean
Avoid food fights
Walk, don't run
Have fun

jennifer said...

I see Danni is representing KC!!

jennifer said...

Hello!!

Nickelpeed said...

Hi Cheryl and Laurie

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Jennifer. Fire Tokens. Edge of Extinction and 2 Million prize.

Joe in NY said...

Hi folks,

Seems like forever since Survivor was on.

jennifer said...

This looks difficult

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Cheryl just like a previous season someone evicted first day. Does the losing tribe vote out Rob or Amber?

tbc said...

Oh, I have Sandra. I hate to tell her, but I never have someone who goes very far

tbc said...

Oh, I have Sandra. I hate to tell her, but I never have someone who goes very far

Nickelpeed said...

Dang, I was hoping Blue to win.

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Joe.

Nickelpeed said...

Blue needed this win.

SueGee said...

Howdy everyone!! sorry to be late for the first night!! I was trying to make dinner..

Squeegee

Nickelpeed said...

Hi tbc and Joe.

SueGee said...

I saw a post by Vecepia who was the winner in one of the early seasons...seems they don't seem to be interested in asking her to anything!! First African American woman to win!

Sue

Glenn Allen said...

Hi TBC and SueGee. If the tribe was smart they vote Rob or Parvatee out.

Nickelpeed said...

Poor blue.

Nickelpeed said...

Hi SueGee

tbc said...

Hi, Penny and Glenn

Glenn Allen said...

Survivor wanted Cocheran but he declined.

Cheryl in NC said...

Hey Glenn..I don't think they will take out Rob this soon..they should..lol..but we will see

Nickelpeed said...

I think Cocheran is a writer on some of the shows. He probably didn't have the time to leave.

The moleman said...

Hey guys: so if rob's voted out can je give his tokens to amber?

Jackie S. said...

It's great to see Ethan looking so healthy! He's such a good guy -- I'm thrilled to have him as the blog pool pick.

Glenn Allen said...

Hopefully Amber gets me my second Survivor winner. It also was the season that had Edge of extinction. Does Rob and Paverrt try to make an alliance. Sandra was upset Rob didn't tell her he was playing Survivor again.

jennifer said...

Ethan does look good!

jennifer said...

Guys, again with the undies.... nooooo

SueGee said...

no bras no jockey shorts

tbc said...

This is why I don’t like Sandra

Nickelpeed said...

I'm so glad he's doing well. Ethan is one of my all time favorites.

jennifer said...

I like how the tokens can buy luxuries

SueGee said...

I do have a signed Ethan t-shirt that I won in a raffle years ago. Need to dust it off.

Nickelpeed said...

I hope they don't target Ethan.

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Moleman. It's great Ethan is healthy.

jennifer said...

Uh-oh

tbc said...

Boxer briefs, just no!!

Nickelpeed said...

Tony is at it again. He can't help but be conspicuous.

Glenn Allen said...

Amber emotional. Hopefully she finds an advantage.

The moleman said...

It is hees cool i like old school players!

Nickelpeed said...

He's exactly right. New School will control old school if they don't play it too safe.

jennifer said...

I think rob and parviti might be a good alliance

SueGee said...

How are you feeling these days Jackie?? So glad you are able to do this still.

Glenn Allen said...

I was right about Rob and Parvatti working together and them coming after Rob.

jennifer said...

Yep

Nickelpeed said...

Ben loves to stir things up. I like the idea of an old school alliance

jennifer said...

I like that 4 working together!

Glenn Allen said...

Rob smart getting an old school alliance. It's funny he got the information out about someone coming for him.

SueGee said...

I am old so I like old school too!!

Nickelpeed said...

Me, too jennifer.

Jackie S. said...

SueGee - Not great, but at least no tendonitis now!

Glenn Allen said...

It's crazy I have seen every season. It's amazing all the changes since season 1.

Nickelpeed said...

It could still be Rob.

jennifer said...

Y’all it’s hard to cook AND watch this lol

Nickelpeed said...

Man, Ben is such a jerk. I hope he goes first.

SueGee said...

I figured some of them were going to be cocky..but others would put them in their places pretty quickly

Nickelpeed said...

They could be bamboozaling Rob and Pavarti.

Glenn Allen said...

I wonder if they tried to get Richard Hatch since he was the Season 1 winner?

jennifer said...

This is going to be a difficult season to try and figure out as there are a lot of smart sneaky players!!

SueGee said...

Maybe Rob should have saved all the lessons from last season LOL

SueGee said...

I forgot this was a 2-hour show

SueGee said...

Glenn - no more Richard Hatch on the show...I think CBS sued him or vice-versa

Nickelpeed said...

I just do not want Ethan to go first.

Nickelpeed said...

I'm nervous.

jennifer said...

ME TOO!

Glenn Allen said...

Thanks Suegee. I didn't know that.

SueGee said...

Are they going to do 2 tribals tonight??

Jackie S. said...

I saw an interesting interview with Hatch I'll have to see if I can find the link after the show. He said it was Jeff, not CBS, who refused to let him on again.

Glenn Allen said...

Iwonder if this season was filmed immediately after last seasons. Since Sandra made that comment about spending all that time with Boston Rob and him not telling her he was playing Survivor again.

Nickelpeed said...

Here we go, YIKES.

Glenn Allen said...

Thanks Jackie.

Glenn Allen said...

Natalie out first. Old School wins first round.

SueGee said...

Nice...

jennifer said...

Woooo hoooooo

tbc said...

Get over it...

The moleman said...

Ok

Nickelpeed said...

That was very presumptuous, Wendall.

Cheryl in NC said...

So here's my question.Did she tell Rob she was playing???

jennifer said...

So what ! Maybe rob changed his mind?!? Maybe he didn’t want to show all his cards, it’s a game :)

tbc said...

Exactly, Jennifer!

Cheryl in NC said...

I never liked Sandra anyway.. hopefully they are smart enough to get her out sooner rather than later

Nickelpeed said...

This is so interesting.

Glenn Allen said...

Cheryl I hope they get Sandra out as well. Cheryl what do you think about the Panthers getting a new coach? I am glad the Redskins got Riverboat Ron.

SueGee said...

I cannot wait to watch all this unfold!

Glenn Allen said...

This is interesting that on Edge of Extinction you can get Fire Tokens. It would be Interesting to see if a Token for an Idol.

Cheryl in NC said...

Glenn. We shall see. It's a whole different thing going from college coaching to the pros.Aa a person he seems like a great guy. And Tepper believes in him! Lots of changes for next year

Nickelpeed said...

Blue should not have gotten rid of Natalie. She's very strong. I think they're going to lose again. I hope not, but...

jennifer said...

This could be anyone’s game!

Nickelpeed said...

Holy cow. This is some competition.

Nickelpeed said...

YES!!! Finally!

Glenn Allen said...

My Poolgirl Amber could be in trouble. She needs to find an Idol or get them to get out Sandra.

Nickelpeed said...

Well, I'm glad they're on different tribes. They'd have too much of an advantage otherwise.

jennifer said...

What a comeback!!

monty924 said...

Hello everyone. I started a half hour in so I just now got caught up. I can't believe I forgot about this season. DUH

The moleman said...

Good stuff

SueGee said...

I would not want to let Sandra go very far. She will have her hands in everything!!

SueGee said...

Hey Monty!

jennifer said...

Oh no!

tbc said...

I am so not supportive of my pool pick. Lol now she’s got an idol?? Ugh

monty924 said...

Hey SueGee! How dumb was I tonight? LOL

Cheryl in NC said...

Really???? Sandra geez

Nickelpeed said...

Man, Sandra is back at her tricks. She's in everyone's ear. Typical trouble maker.

SueGee said...

I didn't realize it was a 2 hr show, Good thing I made dinner before the chat!

Nickelpeed said...

Hi Monty, I didn't see you sneak in! LOL

monty924 said...

Kim's correct. She called all the shots her season. It's probably really strange for her now.

Nickelpeed said...

Wow, Tony hasn't changed either.

monty924 said...

Hey Penny

Glenn Allen said...

Hi Monty. Why would Natalie offer the Idol to Sandra. Why is no one looking for an Idol?

jennifer said...

There is confidence and cockiness. Sandra is the latter. She makes me nervous!

monty924 said...

You can't take away her two time winner status though. She knows how to play the game.

tbc said...

I think it was smart of Natalie. She knew Sandra would take it and she gets the token she needs. She also doesn’t have to deal with Sandra on the Edge of extinction.

SueGee said...

Sandra is one smart cookie and very manipulative

Nickelpeed said...

Any guesses? Kim? Tyson? Amber?

Nickelpeed said...

Yes, she is SueGee. Very smart and cunning.

tbc said...

Wow

Nickelpeed said...

Oooooh Rob is going to be furious!

monty924 said...

That really was the move to make

Cheryl in NC said...

That sucks

SueGee said...

Night everyone! See you next week!!

Nickelpeed said...

Good episode. One of the best I've seen in a long time.

Thank you, Jackie. See everyone next week.

Cheryl in NC said...

Penny...he will be fired up

Glenn Allen said...

My Pool girl Amber is voted out. Sandra gets her revenge. That will put a target on Sandra. Amber gives her Token to Rob. I wonder how Rob will try to get back at Sandra.

monty924 said...

Well, first time in a long time I'm rooting for everyone, lol. I'll try to make it on time next week. :)))

Night folks!

jennifer said...

Rob..... this will be interesting!
Loved how she didn’t even look back!

Cheryl in NC said...

Thanks as always Jackie! Goodnight all

jennifer said...

Thanks Jackie! You and everyone have a wonderful week!!!

Jackie S. said...

Thanks for coming by!

The moleman said...

Liked her on all stars, but ok

The moleman said...

If theres no shake up think dakal should try to get kim out next if they lose

Barbara said...

Thanks Jackie, nice to see all the familiar names back on here commenting. Should be an interesting season.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allen Moreno said...

Allen, 30-year-old management consultant. He is British who loves video games Hungry Shark Cheats. He has a degree in business studies.

His website is : hungry shark world hack apk