Saturday, November 12, 2022

Live-Blogging Television Update

Okay, my latest television (or lack thereof) update. The power cable fix was not a fix. I will be returning that to Amazon. I looked at all kinds of websites -- Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. -- and ended up re-ordering the same television as the one that got lost in transit from Amazon. Only Walmart was selling the same television. 

While I could have it delivered much sooner from Walmart, they want $90 more for it. So, back to Amazon. I made sure to select that the option to put the TV box in a regular Amazon box for shipping. Hopefully, that will make disappearing in transit less likely. 

I saw others, cheaper even, but not quite what I wanted. I like the one I like because it's an Android television which comes with a voice remote, Google Assistant built-in, Chromecast built in. I can cast movies and shows on the TV from my Samsung phone or even my tablet if I get that up to snuff and I can load all my streaming kind of stuff, even my Xfinity cable site where I can stream live television and a plethora of back episodes on them, thus to the television. I would be able to hook up my computer to the television with HDMI, but cable placement would be awkward. Oh, and of course, it's Wi-Fi. Plus, it has the tuner in it that if I decide to cut the cable TV cord, I could get over the air channels on an antenna.

While they say you could control your home's smart technology over the television itself, that's not a selling point for me. I guess I live in a dumb apartment. My only "smart" tech I own is my smartphone. 

Since the delivery date is Friday, I once again won't have it on Wednesday for live blogging 'Survivor' and 'The Amazing Race.' I can't watch it from my larger TV in the other room because it's not in my sight view. I can't stream it on my desktop computer and blog at the same time -- I suppose I could figure out some sort of split screen or picture in a smaller window, but no. My phone is too small to really work out with blogging at the same time. My fix this week will be finding the charger for my tablet, then putting either Xfinity site or my Paramount + on it and setting that up nearby. It's not a huge tablet, but better than the phone.

On a sidenote: The tablet, like the now dead television, was a freebie work anniversary gift out of a catalogue. I think it was my 2016 gift. I didn't have Wi-Fi at the time, so it was basically unused. It was in a package with Bluetooth headphones, a charging pack and a few other things. I kind of miss getting cool free stuff every five years!

So, that's where I stand (or sit) with my television Tales of Tragedy.

2 comments:

Sharon N said...

Sorry you are going through so much... just to get a new TV. geez
Hope you are back in the midst of things soon!

It's a bit of a shock to our systems when one of our "necessities" isn't readily available!

Mike Barer said...

Thanks for staying with it. You'll be back rolling soon!