Sunday, January 08, 2006

'The Four Kings' Debut

Okay, so I fell for the hype. I watched 'The Four Kings' on Thursday night. A rerun of 'C.S.I.' at the 8 PM hour opened the slot for me. I have this thing for NYC based shows. I know it's nothing to do with fine production values or clever and witty writing -- I just like to see places I actually know when I watch a NYC based show.

Um... I don't think I know this place. I know no one, even folks with inherited apartments, with an apartment like that. The premise of the show is that one young guy inherits his grandmother's rent controlled apartment, his three best friends from childhood move in with him and we follow their fun adventures and frolicking. Well, perhaps not a lot of frolicking; only one character seems ambiguous enough to adequately frolic. Now, I like Josh Cooke. He was in 'Committed' -- a show I actually enjoyed the heck out of and felt never had a chance. So, I'm glad to see him as the "cute" guy in the cast. I'm also familiar with Seth Green, but the other two main cast members are unknown to me.

I'm out to the jury on this one. It didn't snag me first shot like 'How I Met Your Mother' did at the real start of the season. It didn't turn me off, either. It just kind of left me sitting there. To me, it seemed run of the mill white bread NYC based, but not the NYC I know. Due to the Josh Cooke factor, I'll give it another shot next week. I want some hilarity. Give me some hilarity, NBC.

No comments: