Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Blogging 'American Idol' - The 12 Girls


"No more crying cowboys, no more Brittenum twins."

It's Girls Night Out on American Idol. The top twelve girls are performing tonight -- two will be voted out on Thursday night. The boys (boys?) will sing tomorrow night.

When Ryan asked, Simon claimed he hasn't gotten any criticism, that he's been defending Ryan. Paula said she's impressed with this season. Randy thinks a boy will win this season. Is it a ploy to get the girls psyched?

Flashbacks to the auditions and other related drama. Yawn.

Mandisa is up first. She said that she didn't hear Simon's "fat" comment until she viewed the show at home. "Never" by Heart is her song. She wants to show "sisters can rock, too." Hmm... the outfit looks a bit like a red silk camisole with black lace. Eep! Thankfully she has black gaucho pants and a jacket thingee over it. Performance? I liked it a lot. She has a very strong voice. Randy overall favoring. Paula - "phenomenal." Simon says hi and asks how she is. He says it wasn't perfect but unbelieveable personality. "I think we'll see you through to the finals at the end of the show." 1 866 IDOLS 01

Oh, geeze, Kellie Pickler is crying again. Is she going to spend this season bawling? "How Far" by Martina McBride. She's dressed rather simply. Really not for me. I guess she's okay, but I'm not hearing anything really special. Randy -- thinks it was good. Paula - unpretentious, no diva factor, has likeability factor. Simon thinks she did well. I dunno. They're focusing more on her personality and all rather than the voice. Let's not set a precedent there, judges. 1 866 IDOLS 02

Becky O'Donohue is going to the stage. She's really a very pretty young woman. Her song is "Because the Night" by Patti Smith. It was the first CD she ever owned. What's that wrinkling her nose bit she does? Is that supposed to be sultry or sexy? Performance is good, at least I think so. That nose/forehead wrinkling has to go, though. Randy loves it. He thinks she does the whole thing well. Paula, of course, is favorable but mentions some notes were a bit off. Somon says better than he expected. Visually a 10, voice of a 6 1/2. He says it was okay, but some of the girls in the group are great. 1 866 IDOLS 03

Ayla Brown has to be at least a half foot taller than Ryan Seacrest. I think she's very well-poised for her age (17). "Reflection" by Christina Aguilar is her song. Hmm. I personally don't like the song choice. She is doing it fine. Whoops, a bad note. Overall, she's putting a lot into it. Let's see what the judges say. Randy was pleasantly surprised. Aight. Paula agrees. Simon -- a hard worker. He thinks there's a limit to her voice; he saw emotion. (Remember, he had called her robotic before.) 1 866 IDOLS 04

Paris Bennett. I thank the heavens her singing voice is not like her speaking voice -- kinda like Daffy Duck on helium. Ohhh... she's going to sing "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Now, there's a song I love. Um. I'm not thrilled by her performance. She's jumping up and down too much. Her hair is fluffy and bouncy, too. The song isn't supposed to be that upbeat. Randy was blown away. Paula thinks she's her idol. Simon loves her, too. Oh, my. Hmmm... I liked her other songs so far this season, but her performance of this song really didn't do it for me. It was like putting "Midnight Train to Georgia" to the tune of "Play That Funky Music"... or something. She is a cutie, though. I'll forgive her for going disco on the song. 1 866 IDOLS 05

Stevie Scott, trained in opera @@, thinks she's very unique. She's singing an opera song "To Where You" Are originally sung by Josh Groban. Her voice is good. I'm not pleased so much with the song selection. Boring, but I think she was technically good. Randy daydreamed. Good. It wasn't just me. Paula says nice stuff, blah blah blah. Simon disagrees with Paula. He claims an utter mess. He's being very rough on her. "I will sing the songs which will make America happy." It may be too late. In my predictions, I called her as out. Let's see.
1 866 IDOLS 06

Ryan's not AS cheesy as in previous seasons.

Brenna Gethers is next. Her personality really turns me off. She will sing Stevie Wonder's "You Are The Sunshine of My Life." Started a bit flat. Maybe I'm tone deaf? I think she's, as the judges say, pitchy. Hmm. Is my dislike of her personality affecting my thoughts about her singing? Randy not all that impressed, said she chose a safe song. Simon defends her personality and says horrible, completely and utterly horrible. Oh, Simon , don't encourage her to bring the claws out. Let her bad self just get voted on out. Please. I want her to "gether" her bags and go home.
1 866 IDOLS 07

Heather Cox. Now, I like her personality as opposed to Brenna Gethers. "When You Tell Me That You Love Me" as sung by last year's Idols. Well, um. It's okay. I guess. I'm not blown away. Nice note at the end. Randy wasn't slayed. Ah, neither was I. Paula agrees with him. Simon says it's a forgettable performance. I agree. 1 866 IDOLS 08

Melissa McGhee is going to sing Faith Hill's "When the Lights Go Down." Another song choice which far from thrills me. I'm not thrilled at all. Enough. She can stop. It's not that she's horrible. It's just not doing anything for me. Randy... some pitch problems and came together in the middle. He says not amazing. Paula calls it a shining moment ofr her. Amazing. Simon says she had been overshadowed by the bigger personalities. She pointed out that it's the first time she's actually sung on the show. 1 866 IDOLS 09

Lisa Tucker. Her song is "I'm Changing" by Jennifer Holiday. Ohhh... I'm impressed. This kid has got it! She performs without overdoing the performance (my problem with Paris tonight) and has a tremendous voice. Yay! Best performance of the night! Judges...? Randy was very impressed. Paula purple prosed her, but ended up saying she's a star. Simon was very favorable!
1 866 IDOLS 10

Kinnik Sky is up. Her song is "Get Here" by Oleta Adams. Okay. I think she's singing it well, strong and on key. A good performance. Randy thinks the middle was rough. He gives it a 6. Now, it wasn't my favorite song choice, but I thought she sang it well enough. Paula thought performance was powerful, good showmanship. Simon says her problem was the incredible performances from such younger girls. It was a caberet performance according to him.
1 866 IDOLS 11

Katharine McPhee is up. She still reminds me of Valerie Bertinelli. Her song is "Since I Fell For You" originally sung by Barbra Streisand. Oh, nice. Her movements are a bit jerky, but I think it's a fantastic performance. Paula is up and dancing, so... Randy says wow. He thinks it was great! Paula is happy. Simon puts her as the best of the "four really good vocalists." Spot on, Simon!
1 866 IDOLS 12

The votes should be for the contestant you think was the best. By the time I post this entry, the lines should be open. They will be open for two hours.

My predictions for voted off tonight? Stevie Scott and (hopefully) Brenna Gethers. Am I wrong?

My favorite performance of the night? Lisa Tucker with Katharine McPhee as a runner up.

Jackie OUT.

6 comments:

dawn said...

jackie,
it's so good to be able to watch some new tv. okay I Loved Mandisa she did rock. I liked all the young contestants I also did not like Paris's act but I thought maybe I was wrong. I really think they should make Teen Idol and Idol
because it will be hard for an audience to not want one of the youngers to win. Now I know the guys name is Ace. If his sex appeal is as good as his voice he's a winner. Let you know tonight

Anonymous said...

LOL! I have the same problem with Paris' speaking voice. But, I think she sounds more like Prissy from "Gone With the Wind"! Remember that famous line...."I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miss Scarlet"! Paris does have a killer singing voice though. If the guys can step up to the plate tonight and equal the girls' performance last night, it's going to be one heck of a ride to the final this year!

Anonymous said...

Taylor Hicks rocks!

Anonymous said...

Oh,Jackie,our opinions are so close,it's just scary.........LOL. I,too,HATED Brenna and her singing and her "personality". I hope she goes on Thursday too.But my picks were yours but I liked Katherine a little better than Lisa,but both were very,very good. Paris might have the chops,but that song was a bust last night,and she has no stage presence at all. She looked like a jack in the box! Bring on the guys! The girls are a strong group so far.

Anonymous said...

Jackie,,,

Your so right.. I agree with you totally on everything so far. Something about Paris,,{Maybe she reminds me of Fantasia, {whom I didn't like at all as far as total presence and voice}she jumped all over at first too, Like a jack in the box on speed}. But, I have to agree with Randy, I think a guy is going to take it this year. There has only been one guy to win..In all the seasons of AI.

Anonymous said...

I agreed with you on almost everything, before watching Paris was my favorite but too me she just seemed to over do it, Brenna has got to go, she is ok but her personality is annoying. I liked Lisa Tucker the best so far.