Thursday, February 02, 2006

'Survivor: Panama - Exile Island' Premiere -or- "I'm Scared of Leaves"

Well, well, well. Tonight was the much ballyhooed premiere of 'Survivor: Panama - Exile Island.' Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a true 'Survivor' fan and I usually have personal issues about the premiere shows only being one hour long. To me, it's not enough time to get to "know" the cast at all. I expected a lot from this premiere and I'm not sure they really delivered. That's not to say it can't be redeemed in future weeks. As I get my 'Survivor' legs going, I'm sure to be entertained.

So, where do I think they went wrong this week? I think part of it was so much time in the beginning of the show on Exile Island itself. Jeff gave a clue, supposedly, about where the Exile Idol may be hidden, but I sure couldn't make sense of it. I like the idea of the Idol being able to be used after the voting and that it can be used at any time up until the Final Four (once there's three left, the Idol dies) -- that's going to keep them on their toes! I like the idea of Exile Island and the "bonus" Idol itself. I just think that the time spent at the beginning of the show was a bit much.

As we knew ahead of time, the castaways were split into four tribes -- Older Men, Younger Men, Older Women, Younger Women. I don't even think I'm going to bother memorizing the trible names because I'd end up writing stuff like La Mina (Older Men). So, forget the tribe names; I'd end up describing them anyway.

After the explanation of Exile Island, the hidden Idol, (blah, blah, blah), things started right in with the Rewards Challenge. Three tribes would win Reward (fire) while the losing tribe had to pick someone to stay the night at Exile Island. Each tribe picked one person to go smashing skulls (not to be confused with Smashing Pumpkins) seeking amulets hidden inside. Once they had three amulets, they returned. Danielle, who is actually quite the athlete, lost it for the Younger Women. What I like about her is that she volunteered to stay there, but the tribe decided to go for rock, paper, scissors for the decision. Whoops, poor Misty. She showed a bit of a sneaky side. She poked around a bit for the Idol, then decided she would act like she found it to keep her tribemates wondering.

Back to the tribes and my initial thoughts about them:

Older Men: This is the tribe to watch. With the exception of Shane, great workers. I thought Dan and Terry would gravitate towards each other and they did. Bruce is unbelievable! I love him! He had lots of fun with his machete. They had a healthy fire and a fine camp set up on short order. Dan/Terry made a pact to never lie to each other. Shane is a jerk. He whined about smoking, fussed about bugs, whined more about no cigarettes, called Bruce "Daffy Duck" and was very annoying. Make him go away.

Older Women: All right, they voted out their workhorse (Tina) who lives and breathes the outdoors. They kept Cirie who's afraid of leaves (there may be bugs in them). Ruth Marie and Melinda were okay. I think Cirie is probably a lot of fun in an indoor environment. But, what were they thinking? I totally understand Cirie's vote against Tina (which was a vice versa kinda thing), but the other two? I don't think they went into Tribal Council thinking they'd vote Tina out -- I think some of what she said there alienated them. I loved Tina's luck in finding the big flopping fish stranded by the tide. What a great meal! Without Tina, I think they're going to have problems.

Younger Men: Hunky for the most part, but... but... I don't really know them, do you? Nick is coming across as a bit dense. Austin is more of a flirt than I thought he would be. Aras was a bit odd with the yoga/fire thing, but I like him. Bobby is doing himself in with the rest, I think. He's right; they are screwing up. But if they end up at Tribal Council, they're going to vote off the one who kept apart and wasn't in with the tribe. Watch out, Bobby!

Younger Women: What the heck is with the cowboy hat, Danielle? Other than Danielle, the younger women seemed way clueless. Instead of quickly finding a place for their shelter, they wandered all around like they were lost in the suburbs. I admire Misty some -- heck, she ate an earthworm on Exile Island. They stepped up the pace for the Immunity Challenge and came in first, but their sense of the outdoors is severely lacking.

What? You want to know what I thought of the Immunity Challenge?
As the kids would say, it was a'ight. To me, it wasn't thrilling. I would be horrible at it with my bad knee. It was physical (running, swimming, rowing) with a brainteaser at the end. I just wasn't all that excited. I liked how the Younger Men screwed up and were so far behind. They should have lost. The Older Women royally screwed up (instead of merely screwing up) and blew their lead.

Tribal Council was a bit on the so-so side. Cirie seemed pleased all went according to her plan and she saved her butt.

Oh. I think the Immunity Idol is UGLY!

What did you think of tonight's premiere? Was it all you expected? Any early favorites? Does anyone out there like Shane?


13 comments:

Travis Dotson said...

I think Tina made two mistakes. She should have explained her time alone, because that always becomes a good early reason to oust someone, and she made a terrible mistake by saying the other three were not pulling their weight. She also referred to herself as the leader, which was premature. I know Jeff was referring to her in that capacity, but it was too early for her to call herself the leader.

She was given a couple of ways out of being the target. The fish was an amazing stroke of luck and she handled it well. Also, Jeff was really pointing out her strengths up until he threw out the 'work ethic' question.

Overall, I was satisfied with the first episode, as they are never that memorable, anyway.

Jackie S. said...

I agree with you, Travis. I think that the tides changed for her at Tribal Council due to the "leader" bit. Had she been a bit modest, she may have squeaked through. Thank you for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

What were the {older women} thinking??? I think they are going to be in a world of hurt voting Tina out so soon. They better hope their fire doesn't go out.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you when you say they need a longer first episode. One hour just isn't long enough...although I would like to see 2 hours every week :o).

Big mistake getting rid of Tina, and the younger girls don't seem all that bright. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to admit, I felt a bit let down after the first episode. It didn't seem to live up to all the hype; or maybe I just read to much in advance and it mad everything too boring. With only 4 on a team, tribal council will be intrsting, especially these first weeks. I'm sure Tina wouldn't be gone otherwise. But for the "emotional" survival of the older women, I'm not so sure Tina fit in well with the other three.

Anonymous said...

I think the Exile Island idol is in or under the water. Jeff said, " There is water, but you can't use it because you have no fire that you culd use to boil the water." Why else would there be a container of water?

Anonymous said...

Good take on the first episode,Jackie,as always. I thought it was a poor lead in to this season. I'm not sure I like the four tribe set up. Four people out there to do all they have to do is not really enough people. I fear the women,now the older with only three(and Cirie seems not much help)and the younger ones seem totally clueless. Did they even ever attempt to set up a shelter???? I thought Shane was a turd!! All he did was complain,but maybe that was editing to throw us off? The older men look strong,but the young ones have that youth and stamina on their sides. Didn't you say that they merge quite soon after the first few episodes or did I read that somewhere else? The young ones are real hot to hook up with each other and then we may see true personalities and strength emerge. I just think,right now,that Cirie and Shane have NO chance at all to make it to the end.

dawn said...

I agree with you jackie, The older women will regret their decision unless they merge the tribes quickly otherwise they'll starve. I don't like Shane either. I love the aston. and fighter pilot so far My votes going with them. Thanks for the review

dawn said...

I agree with you jackie, The older women will regret their decision unless they merge the tribes quickly otherwise they'll starve. I don't like Shane either. I love the aston. and fighter pilot so far My votes going with them. Thanks for the review

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to next week,just to see how the older women do without Tina. Would two of the women regret voting her out and not Cirie. Cirie would have been my vote. Scared of leaves. Come on. I can hear the little kids snickering at that comment. Haven't these people watched the previous Surivors, I don't think so. If they did, they would have none not to come off as a jerk, don't be a leader and be helpful as much as you can.

Thanks Jackie, as always, you are right on with your assessments.

RC said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe they voted out Tina...the older women are studid and going to lose.

I want to see more of Bobby, I think his character has potential.

Poor Misty, I felt really bad for her...but her "I found the idol" was way over done, especially at this point in the game...she didn't even know the girls yet.

And you ask about Shane...ummm...yea, I don't think so.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Jackie S. said...

Thanks for all the comments, folks! It looks like we're all going to watch again next week, eh? Will any of us LIKE Shane?

Anonymous said...

In defense of Cirie...... she REALLY didn't say she was scared of leaves..... only what was UNDER THEM. There is a difference. :-)